Longest you have waited for a custom order?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I've ordered lots of boards from multiple shapers. I always felt like I was last on the priority list and the overwhelming majority treated me like I didn't matter and was bothering them when I wanted to discuss the board and what would work for me. And multiple times I ended up with a board that wasn't even close to what I asked for.

At this point I'd rather just buy a board off the rack or through craigslist than deal with them.

I've had the same experience. Once you know what you like OTR really does make sense. unless you have a shaper you really like. For all the reasons in this thread.

I see shapers complaining who i know for a fact are unreliable because I've ordered from them personally. They never look inward about why business is slow. it's always someone elses fault.

Also had some really good experiences so it's not all bad.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I've ordered lots of boards from multiple shapers. I always felt like I was last on the priority list and the overwhelming majority treated me like I didn't matter and was bothering them when I wanted to discuss the board and what would work for me. And multiple times I ended up with a board that wasn't even close to what I asked for.

At this point I'd rather just buy a board off the rack or through craigslist than deal with them.
if you eve want to try again, a number of us could point you in the right direction.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Curious who you're ordering from - TBH I can't relate to this experience.
I'd rather not say. They were all Hawaii based shapers.

In Hawaii it seemed like the Shapers were concerned with Pros, sponsored WQS guys, sponsored competitive groms, shop accounts, and then way on the bottom was the custom orders. And then add in that A LOT of people in Hawaii just call in sick and don't work when the surf is good and you end up waiting months for a board.

I had some good experiences. And it came from the shapers who treat their business like a business and understand you can't just blow off customers.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

In Hawaii it seemed like the Shapers were concerned with Pros, sponsored WQS guys, sponsored competitive groms, shop accounts, and then way on the bottom was the custom orders. And then add in that A LOT of people in Hawaii just call in sick and don't work when the surf is good and you end up waiting months for a board.

I had some good experiences. And it came from the shapers who treat their business like a business and understand you can't just blow off customers.
hit up northern_shores here on the erbb and he’ll get u squared away

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

ur in sd right? mitsven or miller or the don’t hate duuu josh hall

Reactions: oeste858

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Yes. I'm in SD now. If anyone sees a guy out at Blacks on a purple 7'6 Chemistry old man board come say Hi.

What's the ERBB opinion on the best SD shapers to buy from?
what kind of boar are you looking for?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Yes. I'm in SD now. If anyone sees a guy out at Blacks on a purple 7'6 Chemistry old man board come say Hi.

What's the ERBB opinion on the best SD shapers to buy from?
Honestly if you've got the time, I'd bet going into the Rusty factory in Miramar and talking to Rusty himself would be worth your time. He's a bigger dude and he started off making boards for Blacks.

I've had good luck with both OTR and custom from Pyzel in Oceanside - bought a Mini Ghost & Pyzalien 2 XL from their showroom, and ordered a custom Red Tiger XL from them

Also heard good things about ordering from Ryan Sakal

Last edited: