Ben Webb Surfboards

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This is a pretty cool video to watch. This was right at the transition from the old style shortboard to the Kelly Slater style shortboards. You'll notice Martin Potter and a couple of the older pros still on the older style while Kelly Slater and Shane Beschen have gone thin, narrow and rockered out. I really liked boards like what Potter's on in this video and its very similar to what I see in many of the boards Ben Webb is making.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
This is a pretty cool video to watch. This was right at the transition from the old style shortboard to the Kelly Slater style shortboards. You'll notice Martin Potter and a couple of the older pros still on the older style while Kelly Slater and Shane Beschen have gone thin, narrow and rockered out. I really liked boards like what Potter's on in this video and its very similar to what I see in many of the boards Ben Webb is making.

Ive seen a couple vids lately that have modern day pros riding older/longer shortboards and the boards just look so good under their feet due to the extra length. Really has me itching to buy a longer DD in the 6’ range.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Same, seems like almost a better option than a next step up than for the occasion u get into some head- few feet over firing surf

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Ive seen a couple vids lately that have modern day pros riding older/longer shortboards and the boards just look so good under their feet due to the extra length. Really has me itching to buy a longer DD in the 6’ range.
Because they were longer and flatter than what was to come in the Slater era, those boards worked in a wide range of conditions. Most average guys back then one or two boards and that was it.

Reactions: sh3

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Because they were longer and flatter than what was to come in the Slater era, those boards worked in a wide range of conditions. Most average guys back then one or two boards and that was it.
For sure. I was around back then. Started surfing in 1988. One board for every wave, big or small, and usually had to make it last for a year or two cause I was broke as a teenager lol. 6’0 or 6’1 was usually my go-to height being I’m 5’10.

All the recent footage of guys riding these boards has brought back some memories and nostalgia. We’ve been in the era of shorter boards for so long, I’d forgotten how good a longer shortboard looks under foot.

Last edited:
Reactions: surfwhere

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Maz, I think all that time surfing Raglan has given you a soft spot for guys who exclusively surf right points (Tomo, BW, Jai)!!!

How can you leave out the only guy in the bunch surfing heavier waves?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Maz

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008

GD that was fun to watch. Thanks for linking that.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone know how tall Mr. Webb is?

That 6-5 doesn't look too long for him.