Cabo in July

Jan 10, 2014
Wife and I are looking to hit Cabo early July to get away from the kids for a few days. I plan to bring a surfboard and probably surf monuments or something local. Seems like a good time of year to visit and likely get some waves. Not looking to score just get wet. How are the crowds then? Thanks for the help

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
You'll likely get waves and yes you'll get some peeps as well. Cruising to the East Cape is easy peasy these days and more people with it.

You could also score!

Reactions: tcureton
Apr 30, 2022
Prime time surf season for the sea of cortes / east cape side... Accommodations are pretty expensive and limited though unless you're staying right in san jose del cabo. People charge $100 a night for a glamping tent on the east cape.

Apr 30, 2022
Is April a pretty bad time for west side of the Baja for surf? Cerritos? Colder water and a lot of wind?

Apr 30, 2022
Water though for early mornings and evenings need a spring suit that time of year? Or just if you're weak!?

Apr 30, 2022
Cool, been there twice in November. i guess too with April there is also a chance of scoring some south swell in the East Cape?

Direct flights to Cabo are a pretty big appeal but any experience with the Huatulco area? April seems to be the start of the surf season there.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
you can fly direct to Huatulco also from TJ and great waves. Lots of options where to stay, driving yourself to surf or hiring a guide. Ive def. scored there as well.

Some others here def. go more than me.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Sadly, it looks like the direct flights to Huatulco from TJ are gone. Unless I'm an idiot and can't find them. I was looking at Volaris and didn't see anything for this year. I hope they come back.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Cool, been there twice in November. i guess too with April there is also a chance of scoring some south swell in the East Cape?

Direct flights to Cabo are a pretty big appeal but any experience with the Huatulco area? April seems to be the start of the surf season there.
Bot.

Apr 30, 2022
Oaxaca seems to have a bit of a weird system for surf. A lot of hype around 'escaping the crowds" or "frontier surf if you're willing to explore" ... maybe that used to be the case? ...

But been reading that a lot of the breaks are super crowed and many apparently have restricted/limited access unless you have a guide or are part of a surf camp. Which sounds pretty awful.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Summer 1977, drove to Cabo. Camped on the beach in front of the surf spot now called Zippers. Every morning this dude with mucho missing teeth came down the hill with his burro and charged everybody a dollar to sleep on his beach. Waves were OK, nothing special. A few other campers on the beach. No development at all on the beach between the Palmilla and the El Presidente except this one trailer park where they let you take a freshwater shower for a quarter.

Reactions: Aruka
Apr 30, 2022
East Cape is still pretty undeveloped, hope it stays that way. San Jose del cabo to cabo san lucas is just a stretch of resorts. Cerritos they were pretty much building a new town adjacent to the beach the last time I was there 2 n a half years ago.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
East Cape is still pretty undeveloped, hope it stays that way. San Jose del cabo to cabo san lucas is just a stretch of resorts. Cerritos they were pretty much building a new town adjacent to the beach the last time I was there 2 n a half years ago.
EC is sadly played out these days with the road, etc. Should've see it before...

Apr 30, 2022
EC is sadly played out these days with the road, etc. Should've see it before...
Played out as in crowded or development? I know the big park kinda limits some development. Looking at accommodation in the area there didn't seem to be many options between San Jose Del Cabo and Cabo Pulmo, and what was available seemed over priced... like $100 + for a pre-setup tent.