Longest you have waited for a custom order?

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
I’ve waited a week for a shaper to call back, missed their call, I called back and left a voicemail, didn’t hear back for a few days so ordered from someone else who responded promptly.

eventually the shaper called me back nearly a week later, lol.

ill just say I understand why places exist just to hand hold orders. But, I know horror stories for those, too - something as basic as a GH with custom spray getting lost for a year
SO… you ordered both??

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Odd one. I ordered a Griffin (think it took about 4-5 months).

The day he was supposed to take it to the airport to ship was the day of the fateful motorcycle crash.

It was and awkward situation, since I really didn't want to offend the widow, but I did want my board. I ended up contacting her via facebook after a few months since I found out from the glasser that the board was still at Griffin's house.

She informed that another shaper was handling the shipment of the remaining boards. Great, except when I spoke to him he told me she wouldn't let him over the house. Wanted nothing to do with it. I guess she was so shattered that removing any extension of GG would be losing more of her husband (a theory).

Eventually he was able to go over there (about a year later?), but only for a limited amount of time. He couldn't find some of the fins, so essentially the board would have been useless to me.

Someone on here that had a bunch of his fins was looking for that model so I sold it to them, nice fellow.

TLDR, shaper died, never got my board.

dk1973

OTF status
Jun 11, 2011
Well I am at little over 6 months so guess its not that out of the ordinary. Shaper did tell me 4 weeks which sounded to quick to me usually custom orders from other shapers in past averaged around 3 months...we'll see looking foward to getting the board tho.

• Wow
Reactions: Bman76

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Well I am at little over 6 months so guess its not that out of the ordinary. Shaper did tell me 4 weeks which sounded to quick to me usually custom orders from other shapers in past averaged around 3 months...we'll see looking foward to getting the board tho.
That’s a big difference from quoted to actual time. Have you reached out to him?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
that is out of the ordinary. it happens a lot but that's not ordinary. Especially right now. A lot of these stories were from covid times. Right now wait times are the shortest they've been in years.

Reactions: Aruka

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
surf industry for ya

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
have you considered that the shaper may have a family, hobbies, or other obligations? don’t be selfish, it’s just your money

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Had to look at your post history to see if this was a troll handle.

This showed up:

Tucker is such a douche bag... would love to punch him in the face:cool:

Hmm...maybe punch your shaper in the face instead? :monkey:

surf industry for ya
Nah.

Basically any industry where tradesman and contractors are doing work.

If you don't address the issue with them it's your fault you get dicked over.

Personally would have either had my deposit back or the board finished by now. Would be as simple as showing up to his shaping room and taking it from there.

I'm not sure WTF people are so scared of when it comes to dealing with shitty business practices in these industries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
I have seen a few deer in the headlights looks coming from adult learners that didn't know how to duck dive. The deer hunters were the rednecks that worked in the machine shops that I bought parts from and in the factories where I worked (injection molding, nuclear fuel, and fiber optics). Glassers are kinda like the rednecks of surfboard building. They do most of the hard labor and seem to cause most of the problems and delays.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 years.

I did some marketing work for Akila and he said he’d shape me a fish as trade. No deposit, no dims discussed. He moved to Bali and back, then blew up and I figured it was buried. I didn’t care as I was stocked he was blowing up. Then he calls me out of the blue and says hey I’m at the aquaponics shop down the street, I have your fish. Haha. All good. Board felt magic. Brought it home and my friend came by to grab a wetsuit top, he was going on a fishing trip to FIJI, but the forecast looked good despite off season. Saw the new fish and gave me cash I couldn’t refuse for it. I had it for about two hours. My friend still has it. It must be about 6 years old now.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
3 years.

I did some marketing work for Akila and he said he’d shape me a fish as trade. No deposit, no dims discussed. He moved to Bali and back, then blew up and I figured it was buried. I didn’t care as I was stocked he was blowing up. Then he calls me out of the blue and says hey I’m at the aquaponics shop down the street, I have your fish. Haha. All good. Board felt magic. Brought it home and my friend came by to grab a wetsuit top, he was going on a fishing trip to FIJ, but the forecast looked good despite off season. Saw the new fish and gave me cash I couldn’t refuse for it. I had it for about two hours. My friend still has it. It must be about 6 years old now.
Bro, his boars are magic but he is NOT good at the biz side of boar building, customer orders. He had a guy Joji that was dealing with customers a couple years ago, but doesn’t seem like he’s still there.

Do you see a lot of his boats around Oahu now? Did AA blow up after the FW thing or was it a dud? I know a couple guys that reached out to order a custom and never heard back. This was before /around when his dad died, and not sure what’s going on with his personal life. Maybe he took some time off. He certainly does t seem as visible promoting his boars nowadays.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Bro, his boars are magic but he is NOT good at the biz side of boar building, customer orders. He had a guy Joji that was dealing with customers a couple years ago, but doesn’t seem like he’s still there.

Do you see a lot of his boats around Oahu now? Did AA blow up after the FW thing or was it a dud? I know a couple guys that reached out to order a custom and never heard back. This was before /around when his dad died, and not sure what’s going on with his personal life. Maybe he took some time off. He certainly does t seem as visible promoting his boars nowadays.
I barely surf with the newborn and a 2 year old so I can’t say, but there are two guysat my local who only ride his boards and both are currently waiting on customs lol.

I haven’t talked to him since that day at the aquaponics shop so idk how the FW thing went. I do see some flat earths around though. I think he’s moving boards to Japan cause one of my friends has been helping some local shapers with Japan distribution and he said AA has demand over there and they get higher margins.

Reactions: oeste858

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
A few years back I sampled @oeste858 's AA contemporary fish and fell in love with it. Was stoked on ordering one, so I filled out the online order form and submitted a deposit thru AA's website. Didn't hear anything back after a few weeks, so I sent a couple follow up emails, tried calling the factory, even DM'd him directly on IG, never got any responses. Finally just ended up getting refunded by my CC company, no questions asked, and that was that.

Con Fish is still one of the funnest small wave boars I've ever tried though.