laird

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I dunno why the hate. Dude got to live the life married to a rich super model chasing waves all over the world while getting paid to also model.

Sure people hate SUP and hate Foils but he charged on every craft.

How many of you would surf waves like this on regular board?

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
No hate, just not a fan of the ‘look at me’ aspect of society - granted I don’t have sponsors telling me to post what cereal and type of underwear I put on in the morning…that vid was a little much unless he’s being satirical

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I dunno why the hate. Dude got to live the life married to a rich super model chasing waves all over the world while getting paid to also model.
IMO part of it stems from his “I didn’t compete because surf corporate bs”, yet later went the corporate route with Amex, coffee creamer etc. I get it- we all want to get paid, and if I could be sponsored or find VC capital to start a brand with my likeness and split my time between Malibu and Hanalei I’d be like, “where do I sign”? :roflmao:

He also came off as kind of a grump when he started getting upstaged at Jaws by paddle surfers. That was a bad look, if he wasn’t going to give it the props it deserves he should’ve at least just kept quiet about it.

FTR I don’t hold this against him and he is obvi an impressive dude and has an amazing life, however I can see these aspets rubbing people the wrong way. He also took a lot of grief for turning people onto SUP and foiling, which was unfair and I don’t think he made any real money off that.

-Cubicle warrior who’s not married to a supermodel and who’s only 6 pack he will ever have is the one in his fridge, out! :(

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
IMO part of it stems from his “I didn’t compete because surf corporate bs”, yet later went the corporate route with Amex, coffee creamer etc. I get it- we all want to get paid, and if I could be sponsored or find VC capital to start a brand with my likeness and split my time between Malibu and Hanalei I’d be like, “where do I sign”? :roflmao:

He also came off as kind of a grump when he started getting upstaged at Jaws by paddle surfers. That was a bad look, if he wasn’t going to give it the props it deserves he should’ve at least just kept quiet about it.

FTR I don’t hold this against him and he is obvi an impressive dude and has an amazing life, however I can see these aspets rubbing people the wrong way. He also took a lot of grief for turning people onto SUP and foiling, which was unfair and I don’t think he made any real money off that.

-Cubicle warrior who’s not married to a supermodel and who’s only 6 pack he will ever have is the one in his fridge, out! :(
Bro you forgot the golf board. He gave us the golf board.
1696035429246.jpeg

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

Sure people hate SUP and hate Foils but he charged on every craft.

How many of you would surf waves like this on regular board?
Terry Chung & Laird paddling out at the start. Laird has a quiver of close Men that he surfs with on Kauai’s North Shore and all, very respected surfers in the community. You just “no talk stink” about any of those guys. Period!! But y’all can type @80 words per minute. Groovy :shaka:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
It's always all fun and games at the old erBB'oh.

Surely Laird would have equal fun poking insults at any of us kooks, it's all in good fun maaaan.

When did everyone get so gawd damned serious?

Rousting and flaming others has always been a wholesome good time hazing for new, old and intermediate alike.

Surely, Lairds day is hugely affected by the hits to his ego shown above...... :monkey:
I bet that's what keeps him up at night, "what are all those core surfers dudes saying about me on the erBB now?".

:shameonyou::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey::foreheadslap::poke:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
There's your answer. It's covetousness, my friend. We didn't win the genetic lottery and that's ok - God has put us right where he wants us haha.

Guys like this actually have a lot of problems. Remember Johnny Depp got hauled into court and had to defend himself. Laird had a drinking problem and is once divorced (twice?) This softens the blow of not winning the genetic lottery personally.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
How many of you are as fit as Laird? I know I'm not. I know I want to be.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, how he does his own thing and doesn't worry about the surf world. When Hanalei was flooding and he was flying around on the jet ski helping rescue people, he was totally switched on, involved, and filled with purpose. Pretty cool interview. I like Gabby's podcast too. When over in PPK land I've seen him and his dog motoring out in the little aluminum boat to go surf/foil by himself. Doing his own thing. I also like how he explains his thoughts on waves, fatherhood, etc.

Keep chirping, he doesn't care. We could all learn a lesson from that.
so you want to shiver his timber?
NTTIAWWT

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
How many of you are as fit as Laird?

well, certainly we'd all be way more fit if we were on all the same steroids

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
How many of you are as fit as Laird?

well, certainly we'd all be way more fit if we were on all the same steroids
Not always true. Steroids are one aspect. You still need to put in the effort.