Longest you have waited for a custom order?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
35 weeks for a Lost.

I had a board on order during the Clark Foam shutdown, so things got crazy and I was understanding. After checking in a few times, I was told the board was ....Lost. They gave me a couple options for a re-order and I chose a Chili with Eskimo foam.

Come to find out later my original order was shaped but given to a team rider because of the blank shortage. To top it off, my Chili broke in half after a couple of months.

Never again Lost :cursing:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
35 weeks for a Lost.

I had a board on order during the Clark Foam shutdown, so things got crazy and I was understanding. After checking in a few times, I was told the board was ....Lost. They gave me a couple options for a re-order and I chose a Chili with Eskimo foam.

Come to find out later my original order was shaped but given to a team rider because of the blank shortage. To top it off, my Chili broke in half after a couple of months.

welcome to the …lost board ordering experience!

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Nope. Cole Trunk and Wrecking Ball. Quoted 6 weeks, after a year, I got a refund. Shaped after 4 weeks, sat waiting for the glasser for the next 11 months. He later put it them up for sale on his IG. The old "DM for special pricing." Both these were mine:
View attachment 173025
I don't know how some of these guys stay in business.

As much as I like to hate on the big production "pop out" firewire type brands - at least they have boards available in a reasonable time frame (often instant with the way shops love to stock them). I totally understand why a beginner would go with that as opposed to some flakey you never know when or what you're going to get local shaper / glasser.

I've had boards I waited months for turn out to be nothing like what I thought I asked for. Stuff like that makes OTR really appealing.

I've also had lots of great experience with shapers too, ftr.

Last edited:

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
I had a shaper take 3 weeks to reply to a custom order inquiry and did not want to tempt fate with an order.

8-12wks, always. I don’t care to order if they’re backlogged, I’ll just chase down OTR or go to someone else.
Apologies if that was Rob. I help when I can between other gigs. He might miss seeing and answering one or two himself when I'm not available. I go back and look for those he missed that got buried between invoices and misc correspondence. He's not on email all the time like us in the corpo world. He tends to prioritize emails after family, surfing and shaping.

I'd guess other shapers might be that way, too unless they aren't quite as busy or have more help. For any of your favorite shapers, whether big or small, I'd give them a phone call if you haven't heard from them after a few days of waiting on a reply. That may be the fastest way to get info and you might find getting a board done quickly is no problem.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Sorry your email asking to spend like a thousand dollars got ignored for weeks. It’s because you know, family, surfing, making boards (not yours), more important things going on. We’re super busy over here, maybe try contacting us more. (that’ll help :rolleyes:)

“i don’t know how any of these guys stay in business”

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
4-5 months but was in no rush and it was a bit of a “dream board”. Shaper was up front about it and was what I expected.

the pavel stories are insane, I thoroughly don’t understand it.

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Some ordered Pavel speed dialers in the early 00's and they're still waiting

For me it was my hess at around 6 months
Yeah what happened to that guy - he made great boards - the quad was a breakthrough board for me - I was victim in the 00's.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
8 months and 18 months for my two orders from one shaper. They're great boards though.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
35 weeks for a Lost.

Lost could care less about customs for the regular joe.

Reactions: Aruka and jkb

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Had a mid shaped by a Local guy, came out great and done in 3 weeks. Tried to order another board, never got back to me so just grabbed one off the rack. Never understand chasing someone to give them money.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
He rarely shapes in the U.S. now and spends a lot of time in Japan where they pay top dollar for his shapes. Mitch's has a few fish shapes for $2,400. I ordered mine around 2010 when he was still around SD and paid around $1000 for the keel fish and $900 for the Speedialer. I won't be getting any more boards from Rich. My last few boards were from DK and Gary Hanel. Both make great boards that work well for me, reasonably priced and take no longer than 8 weeks.
Is he shaping high enough volume to make it his sole income even at top dollar? I never got the impression these multi year timeframes were because it’s a high volume production.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Is he shaping high enough volume to make it his sole income even at top dollar? I never got the impression these multi year timeframes were because it’s a high volume production.
Remember the thread full of Pavel horror stories?

Perhaps he doesn't need money hence his business reputation.

I'm surprised no one ever tracked him down and "expressed their frustration" as if I recall some people were rather upset.