Skipper's Surf Review: Is it time to stop hating?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I wonder where Yuri and other adult learners get their info about boars, surf culture, etiquette, etc. YouTube probably. Hopefully not here.

When I was a kid learning it was the mags and movies. Before VHS. And of course getting heckled and abused by the older groms and the unkos.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I wonder where Yuri and other adult learners get their info about boars, surf culture, etiquette, etc. YouTube probably. Hopefully not here.

When I was a kid learning it was the mags and movies. Before VHS. And of course getting heckled and abused by the older groms and the unkos.
someone should do the world a solid and start a youtube or tiktok on surf etiquette instagram.

i see a lot of instagram clips of someone doing something wrong then the comments defending the wrong doer. and it's not corrected.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

in SD there are safe spaces for learners to thrive and self congratulate. As they venture outward their hands are eventually slapped for taking what isn’t theirs.

every so often there is a newbie take over and you put your head down and start surfing elsewhere for year or so until they go away again.

It’s kind of cat and mouse but fortunately learners are afraid of empty lineups.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The surf rat is the best surf youtuber IMO. This video should be mandatory viewing for all adult learners.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I say those same things to adult learners or randoms at my regular. It doesn’t take 5 minutes and 22 seconds. And there’s a lot of curse words and insults thrown in but the message is there. I wonder why it doesn’t register. Maybe they don’t understand moke or it could be my rising Doppler style pitch as Im giving a lessons. Oh well.

Nov 16, 2023

They all surf and learned to surf at the jetty’s in rockaways and someone can correct me if I’m wrong but, there wasn’t really many If any locals there prior to the Brooklyn adult learner explosion. From day one there was never any etiquete or order in the lineup. It’s one of the most chaotic and frustrating places I have ever surfed. Also wild to see people with $1800 boars and expensive Japanese neoprene who can’t surf at all. Seems like everything comes from instagram. Last time I surfed there I mentioned to someone in the lineup about the new 5x5 19.25 movie and they just looked at me clueless and asked “what’s that?”

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
There’s a handful of guys that surf together at my summer regular. They frequent Kewalos too. They always come out in at least a pair. I don’t think they’re adult learners more like rethreads. Probably surfed as kids, stopped for school/work/kids , started up again. They are full on FW, new model, alternative construction groupies. In fact they’re on Hawaiian South Shore’s YT giving boar reviews.

They surf adequately, good enough to be irritating. I never talk to them, cause don’t want them to think they are part of the pecking order. But they always tell me good morning and know my name. They used to try to challenge me for waves but they just leave this dinosaur alone if it’s my turn now.

F*ckers took years and have learned all those things in the etiquette video but I still don’t want to talk to them. I’ll get a nugget in front of them and they’ll tell me nice one I’ll just reply thanks. But if a friend asks how’s that last one it’ll be a longer exaggerated claim involving WSL excellent scores and seconds of tube time. I’m such a dick. Haha.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
They all surf and learned to surf at the jetty’s in rockaways and someone can correct me if I’m wrong but, there wasn’t really many If any locals there prior to the Brooklyn adult learner explosion. From day one there was never any etiquete or order in the lineup. It’s one of the most chaotic and frustrating places I have ever surfed. Also wild to see people with $1800 boars and expensive Japanese neoprene who can’t surf at all. Seems like everything comes from instagram. Last time I surfed there I mentioned to someone in the lineup about the new 5x5 19.25 movie and they just looked at me clueless and asked “what’s that?”
The webisodes that accompanied the RNF 96 marketing push, I don't think appeal to the NYC demographic. The 07/08 era Redux movie is ancient history - those people were all trying to pimp their band's MySpace Music page and get gigs in Bushwick back then.

• Haha
Reactions: Buck_86

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
None of those people would have set foot in Bushwick back then. They were just discovering Williamsburg.

The webisodes that accompanied the RNF 96 marketing push, I don't think appeal to the NYC demographic. The 07/08 era Redux movie is ancient history - those people were all trying to pimp their band's MySpace Music page and get gigs in Bushwick back then.

• Haha
Reactions: MrSteve

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I say those same things to adult learners or randoms at my regular. It doesn’t take 5 minutes and 22 seconds. And there’s a lot of curse words and insults thrown in but the message is there. I wonder why it doesn’t register.
Have you ever tried putting them on the spot?

"Is there a reason you keep jumping in front of me when I'm coming down the line?"

"Are you trying to hurt somebody today?"

At a left: "I notice every time you paddle back out you end up sitting on my/our left shoulder. Is there a reason you're cutting the rest of us in line?"

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Have you ever tried putting them on the spot?

"Is there a reason you keep jumping in front of me when I'm coming down the line?"

"Are you trying to hurt somebody today?"

At a left: "I notice every time you paddle back out you end up sitting on my/our left shoulder. Is there a reason you're cutting the rest of us in line?"
Moogsies what did you hate more, the surf in South Florida, or the surfers in South Florida?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I never talk to them, cause don’t want them to think they are part of the pecking order. But they always tell me good morning and know my name. They used to try to challenge me for waves but they just leave this dinosaur alone if it’s my turn now.

F*ckers took years and have learned all those things in the etiquette video but I still don’t want to talk to them. I’ll get a nugget in front of them and they’ll tell me nice one I’ll just reply thanks. But if a friend asks how’s that last one it’ll be a longer exaggerated claim involving WSL excellent scores and seconds of tube time. I’m such a dick. Haha.
You can’t be too nice. Guy at my hiding in plain sight local was chatty with anyone who showed up and they just kept showing up and started bringing friends.

Became a total newbie break of high fives. It’s funny bc it’s really just a high tide spot so it’s flat at most times but they keep showing up at all hours of the day.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Your absolutely fucking wrong. And the fact that you dont know who those locals are means you should really consider yourself as part of the problem...

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
The surf rat is the best surf youtuber IMO. This video should be mandatory viewing for all adult learners.
I’ve been working on #6 and trying to project more of a Stephanie Gilmore positive vibe in the water, but crap, that violates rule #7.

Reactions: Aruka