CA Coastal Recommendations near LA for 2-4 week Stay in July/August

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Is the surf really that bad in CA in August? Keep in mind that I live in FL and get hyped on knee high mush from early June to mid August.
many places can’t swing a true south swell so, there is always the chance you get skunked if that’s all that’s coming in. there is always some wrap but lulls are long, crowds are thic, and hype machine blasting for 2weeks so everyone is ready to play hookie.

Imo, you can surf 300 days out of the year in Southern California, but you may be on a long board for at least 200 of them.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Is the surf really that bad in CA in August? Keep in mind that I live in FL and get hyped on knee high mush from early June to mid August.
If they have a good summer not necessarily. If it's a strong Nino they're owed Souths and Canes? You could be getting left runners up the beach. But if it's small and only working at reefs/points in North LA and South OC?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
many places can’t swing a true south swell so, there is always the chance you get skunked if that’s all that’s coming in. there is always some wrap but lulls are long, crowds are thic, and hype machine blasting for 2weeks so everyone is ready to play hookie.

Imo, you can surf 300 days out of the year in Southern California, but you may be on a long board for at least 200 of them.
There are a few true south swell spots.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Ok we’re narrowing it down. Right now our top 3 are West Malibu near La Piedra beach, Newport or Ventura/Oxnard. Which of these would have the best bet for decent, consistent surf at the beginning of August?

Don’t forget, I have no problem surfing knee high slop that most of you would probably turn your noses up at :LOL:

Also doesn’t look like Malibu has many affordable places within walking/biking distance to the beach. That true? The only affordable one I’ve seen is a 15 minute walk, which isn’t bad but I’m not sure if there’s surf at La Piedra.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Malibu is probably one of the most expensive zip codes in the world, so not surprising. There’s definitely some tucked away nooks and crannies to surf around there. Looks like it’s close to Zuma where all your BB shorepound dreams are available. There’s a decent hill or two between there and Malibu point, which will usually have something rideable. Could you rent an e-bike while you’re there?
There may be some more bungalow-type airbnbs up topanga canyon, but then you may sacrifice walkabilty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goofy_Footed

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Will you not have access to the car on days that your wife isn't driving into LA for work?

As oeste mentioned, some hills to navigate (and not really the most bike friendly stretch of road though it won't stop the lancers.)

Surf-wise, as long as you have a way to get around, you'll find something that makes you happy between malibu point and county line. Many spots to surf in that general area.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Lol yeah that didn’t come out right.

The great unknown is how often I’ll have access to the car for extended periods of time. She’ll still need to use it even when not heading to LA. I can look into renting an e-bike or trying to find a place that has bikes available for us.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
On second thought, Newport is probably the better call. Much easier for biking/walking to surf.

Reactions: Fishyhb

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Wife confirmed I'll have plenty of access to the car. Just booked a place in West Malibu between Zuma and Leo Carillo. 2 minutes to the coast. Stocked! Thanks for the suggestions everyone :shaka:

Countyline will be your best most reliable bet. Zuma can be good. If you're goofy you can fight at Zeros (Nicholas Canyon) Other obvious pointbreaks abound.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Countyline will be your best most reliable bet. Zuma can be good. If you're goofy you can fight at Zeros (Nicholas Canyon) Other obvious pointbreaks abound.
Thanks. I’m looking forward to surfing some points as most of my life is spent surfing beach break.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
that NCSD map is ridiculously accurate. Lol!

your best bet if find somewhere you can afford within walking of where you want to be. as stated, parking can be its own nightmare.
Outdoorsie white people aka (young, fit, high achievers). Pretty good observation. Perpetually Perfect Ponto Locs.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If you are even an average surfer, you might find you're one of the best guys out at County Line.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Thanks. I’m looking forward to surfing some points
Nothing like County Line to cure you of that!

If you are even an average surfer, you might find you're one of the best guys out at County Line.
If you're a below average aquatic goat rodeo clown, you might find you're one of the best candidates for suicide intervention at County Line.

• Haha
Reactions: hammies and sdsrfr