Modernized 70s single fin

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Nothing is happening to me.

If you are a fun board or long board surfer, single fins are fine.

If you surf short boards, you cannot honestly say a single fin is better, or even close to being as good.

I am sorry this is happening to you. Delusional thought and behavior is very bad for a person.
1706680881956.png

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
If I never surfed a single fin again, it would be too soon.

Sorry, but single fins suck. I know, I started out surfing when only single fins existed. Quit for ten years or so, then got on a thruster. End of story. I couldn't believe what was happening.

Not every one is Larry Bertleman.

Just because something is old, doesn't mean it is good. Single fins limit your surfing in so many major ways. There is absolutely nothing you can do better on a single fin-period.

Why go there?
They do wonders for your surfing, and when you get it right they feel so good.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
They do wonders for your surfing, and when you get it right they feel so good.
I get a bit of that, because I started surfing on single fins. Everything has to be more subtle because you can't count on the board to help you out. I could go down the line on a single, but not much else. And they probably do help your surfing, because everything is so much more difficult.

But.. watch the surfers on Morning of the Earth. The limitations are so obvious. That was how I surfed then.

Sorry, but single fins on short boards suck. You would feel even better riding a twin, quad or thruster.

But carry on. Biases in people are hard to erase.

• Haha
Reactions: Maz and santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I get a bit of that, because I started surfing on single fins. Everything has to be more subtle because you can't count on the board to help you out. I could go down the line on a single, but not much else. And they probably do help your surfing, because everything is so much more difficult.

But.. watch the surfers on Morning of the Earth. The limitations are so obvious. That was how I surfed then.

Sorry, but single fins on short boards suck. You would feel even better riding a twin, quad or thruster.

But carry on. Biases in people are hard to erase.
I think you completely miss the point of this thread. I surf thrusters, twins, quads, bonzers, griffin five fins and singles.

I like my old single, its really fun to surf at waist-chest point breaks and I happen to live by a pretty good one. Started thinking about how much fun an updated version would be.

When you can surf 3-5 hours a day you start to want to try new things.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Clayster, I do agree with a lot of your last post.

- most of the boards in MOTE were dogs (and the cinematogrphy is too zoomed in. Heresy, I know)
- I wouldn't go single on a DD shortie

But for down the line waves, and clean barrels, they definitely have their place.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I like my old single, its really fun to surf at waist-chest point breaks and I happen to live by a pretty good one. Started thinking about how much fun an updated version would be.
sc chk out michael arenals b68. based off a bob mctavish rincon tracker

michael made me one last year to replace my v1 cc flat tracker.

lovin it. rides the barrel exceptionally well
but im biased :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: santacruzin

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Singles are great.

Short are great fun (single flyer -fluted) round pin in wedgey reefs- so fun for tube-riding and cutbacks.

Longer good for Points.

Reactions: JaM71