Return of the Wizard Sleeve - The "S Boss"

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Hows this vagina board go?
One of my all time favorites. I’m too big for the design though. The boards don’t really work right when they get over a certain size. Like I said above, Kelly said I should have tried a 5’6. He based it on my height. I had a 5’8 and it worked fucking great.

The very first one I bought the guy at CI told me I should get a 5’10 so I did. The board just sucked ass, sold it after 2 surfs and got the 5’8.

Where you stand on it is everything. Your feet go here (.) and here (.) and not a butt hair out of place. So when you start making them longer they don’t work as designed.

Reactions: stringcheese

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
One of my all time favorites. I’m too big for the design though. The boards don’t really work right when they get over a certain size. Like I said above, Kelly said I should have tried a 5’6. He based it on my height. I had a 5’8 and it worked fucking great.

The very first one I bought the guy at CI told me I should get a 5’10 so I did. The board just sucked ass, sold it after 2 surfs and got the 5’8.

Where you stand on it is everything. Your feet go here (.) and here (.) and not a butt hair out of place. So when you start making them longer they don’t work as designed.
I was told I should get a 5'4" on the Wizard Sleeve (which sounds kinda a small for the wave range you said it can handle). The S Boss I would ride a 5'4 as well (based on the literage) and the width and thickness are very similar to t he Wizard Sleeve dims so i thought it was comparable.

Kelly's other model, The Gamma is basically the same outline as a CI Flyer with similar dims as well. I feel like Kelly is re-creating his favorite shapes in FW tech. Pretty smart. So does that mean the FRK is the new Rubble Round Tail?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I was told I should get a 5'4" on the Wizard Sleeve (which sounds kinda a small for the wave range you said it can handle). The S Boss I would ride a 5'4 as well (based on the literage) and the width and thickness are very similar to t he Wizard Sleeve dims so i thought it was comparable.

Kelly's other model, The Gamma is basically the same outline as a CI Flyer with similar dims as well. I feel like Kelly is re-creating his favorite shapes in FW tech. Pretty smart. So does that mean the FRK is the new Rubble Round Tail?
5’4 sounds right for you. WS sizing is based off your height. Volume be damned. If it’s not enough volume for you either lose weight or move on.

Reactions: ReForest

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
In the past I have called a small Bonzer 5 egg the Swiss Army Knife of surfboards. If you only have one board... jack of all trades, master of none. The vast majority of the ones I cut are upsized. Do the opposite. IMHO. YMMV

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Post consumer recycled plastic is trash. Cannot guarantee contaminates
In the past I have called a small Bonzer 5 egg the Swiss Army Knife of surfboards. If you only have one board... jack of all trades, master of none. The vast majority of the ones I cut are upsized. Do the opposite. IMHO. YMMV
curious at what length you cosnider them small. I have a 6’10 gh that I often wish was closer to 6’4. I don’t think I gain much with the extra 6”.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I'm about 205 to 210. I had a 5'11" that I rode for a long time. Most of the time I prefer the rail length on a 6'2". A little extra float but not so long that the wider/rounder nose was getting in my way. I rode the 6'2"s in double overhead without an issue. Change out the center fin and go. Again, this is personal preference. But a LOT of people size up into a midsize when ordering an egg. I have done that as well. The 6'2"s and under were my favs.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
My 5’10 b5 mini was magic. Sold her to Pedro of the Canaries for pesos.
:beer:
The mini B5 is a favorite. I recently gave one away. I have another one that I widened the tail on and then put a swallow tail on it. I've been looking at it lately thinking maybe an A/O twin/light bottom setup would be interesting on it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
The mini B5 is a favorite. I recently gave one away. I have another one that I widened the tail on and then put a swallow tail on it. I've been looking at it lately thinking maybe an A/O twin/light bottom setup would be interesting on it.
I'll take one!
I have a 5'6 x 21 x 2 1/2" CC double-ender/egg quad that was a friggin blast no matter the conditions, but too small for me to paddle now. I want to get Mitsven or Stamps to make me a bigger version 5'10- 6'0 but worried the small size is what made it so versatile and able to fit into steeper drops/sections. Assume it would need some tweaks to rocker.
TW quad eggs in that size look nice too.
IMG_5624.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: j_mac and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'll take one!
I have a 5'6 x 21 x 2 1/2" CC double-ender/egg quad that was a friggin blast no matter the conditions, but too small for me to paddle now. I want to get Mitsven or Stamps to make me a bigger version 5'10- 6'0 but worried the small size is what made it so versatile and able to fit into steeper drops/sections. Assume it would need some tweaks to rocker.
TW quad eggs in that size look nice too.
View attachment 171672
That thing looks rad! Never seen or heard of this model.

Reactions: j_mac and oeste858

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
My shaper and I based a board on the wizard sleeve in 2009 and just stretched it out to make it more of a step up rail line. It works super good in steep waves but just bogs in any kind of slopey wave. I had 6 iterations of the board but its just too specialized with the super narrow tail and wont go in anything but good waves.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I saw a few in my local surf shop this morning. Was dropping off some Thai pork dim sims for the staff. (May help to curry favour for future purchases ;))
Looks like a user friendly board.

Last edited:

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
100%...not long after my oldest was born in 2016, i had malcolm make me a 6'4" eb5 egg that was easily one of the best, if not the best, board i've had in the last decade. sold it in a fit of the dumbs. prior to that, brian wynn made me a 6'0 b5 egg in, i think, 2009, that i kept for a long time & was always a good time even if i didn't give it the attention it deserved before i sold it.
jack of all trades for sure, but plenty masterful for 99% of joe shmoe surfers

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
My shaper and I based a board on the wizard sleeve in 2009 and just stretched it out to make it more of a step up rail line. It works super good in steep waves but just bogs in any kind of slopey wave. I had 6 iterations of the board but its just too specialized with the super narrow tail and wont go in anything but good waves.
I rode 5’8 Wizard Sleeves from shoulder high with push up to as big as I could catch on ‘em.

When I was swimming 6-8k meters a week I could get some bombs on it.

Sold that last one a couple months ago. Just couldn’t do it anymore. Gotta drop another 15-20 pounds and keep it off before I consider another one. Probably just a thing of past at this point. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Reactions: oeste858