*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
wild. it was a bit of a circus yesterday. long lines to the top after lunch.

Friday was great. Empty and the snow wasnt too heavy yet.

No wind.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Well now I'm curious why not?
Binding tracsks???

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Fun days with the wife and kids this weekend up at Kirkwood. Spring in January. Snow is still a little iffy though as anything powder is very sticky/crusty but snow quality a little better towards the top. Got up Thursday night, rode Friday and Saturday, leaving that last afternoon. Mostly a weekend of bombing groomers and doing jump runs over and over again. They could use more snow but not too much more - one of the things that sucked about last season is that so many features were covered up and the mountain was like an inclined lakebed.

Friday was great because mountain was empty. A great kicker on the lead-in to the kids jump runs that made it so natural to just launch method after method off it. And we just did run after run - I love that my kids are equally amped and know that the day is not done until they tell you so. Well, maybe not on the Heavenly gondola.

Saturday was a bit of a nightmare with crowds as the ignorance was high. I had to yell guidance at way too many people: don't bring your 4 year old into the park criss-crossing under the landings of jumps, if you are going to start towards a jump, look up before you go to make sure someone faster isn't behind you aiming for the jump trying to get more than 6 inches of air and when they yell at you get out of the way, don't take selfies while snowboarding, especially when you suck, don't linger at the top of the lift, etc. etc.

Well, a good result of that is the kids are learning kook management and regulation both on runs and from lift in the way of random snowfall. With rare exception, women and children are off limits. So are beginners in beginner areas. And make sure ski patrol/mountain personnel aren't watching. Slide the skis together instead of banging them together. Subtly amass snow on the board before getting on the lift for a snowball arsenal:

1706550552762.png

I need to work with my son on his hockey stops. He still does that half-snowplow stop and just doesn't get the spray to go as high as it can. He also has to not hit me in the balls with his poles as he tries to spray me. :roflmao:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
He still does that half-snowplow stop and just doesn't get the spray to go as high as it can. He also has to not hit me in the balls with his poles as he tries to spray me. :roflmao:
The faster he wants to go the tougher its gonna be to stop. Want to go fast then learn to hockey stop

Reactions: ElOgro and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Oh btw, PSA:

Avoid the Emerald Bay Lodge (north of Sonney's on 89) in South Lake Tahoe. Reviews looked tolerable and wasn't horribly priced (for these days) but holy sh!t we get there, place is a pigsty, mouse sh!t on the countertops, stained sheets, replacement ones pretty much steel wool, no smoke alarm, no heater, just two loud space heaters, and generally filthy. No dumpster and with mice, nowhere else to keep trash/food waste except in the fridge. And for over $150/night. Got in late because of terrible traffic through Sacramento so had to just grin and bear it that night. Slept horribly.

Reviews are bait-n-switch. Don't stay there. Might as well have been an hourly motel in Stockton. Health department getting notified for sure.

Luckily was able to cancel/refund Friday night and lucked into an opening at Tahoe Beach and Ski Club for about $20 more. Night and day. Easy choice.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Snow Summit this Friday... up to 8" set to stack up Thursday Day & Night then clearing out Friday so hoping for the best with an early and smooth trip up the mountain and crowds that aren't nuclear. This coming weekend is sure to be a sh*t show up there.

Most all runs open (still waiting for them to pop Pipe Dream which is a really good gauge for how well the hill is set up overall) but its been days upon days of 50*+ up there, so we need this 8" to come through to make Friday worth it.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Snow Summit this Friday... up to 8" set to stack up Thursday Day & Night then clearing out Friday so hoping for the best with an early and smooth trip up the mountain and crowds that aren't nuclear. This coming weekend is sure to be a sh*t show up there.

Most all runs open (still waiting for them to pop Pipe Dream which is a really good gauge for how well the hill is set up overall) but its been days upon days of 50*+ up there, so we need this 8" to come through to make Friday worth it.

• Love
Reactions: crustBrother

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Well now I'm curious why not?
Burton, well to be honest I’ve only ever tried their soft goods once or twice and both times they failed in short order. thumb seams splitting wide open on gloves, tethers pulling out, etc.

I’ve been told their hard goods are better, but it just always seemed like the most mainstream generic brand for the masses. Don’t get me wrong, their high end boards and bindings have piqued my interest over the years, but something about the overall history of the brand has kept me from ever trying them for real.

Not good reasoning, I know, but there have been other brands that always edge them out for me. I used to like Salomon, but not the last 10 years or so. K2 has always been one of my favorites, but only for certain things. Jones has been at the top of the list the last 7-8 years now. I guess I’m pretty particular. :geek: I am a Buyer for a living though and do a lot of market research. Beyond that it’s usually trial and experience which will hold me to a brand, but it can come down to more superficial things like their current designs.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
fwiw, Burton bindings second or third tier from the top have worked out great for me with decent value for how they trickle things down year to year.

my first bindings were the co2’s and I now have Mala Vitas. I don’t do a ton of days a year but most of my trips require a flight so they survive checked baggage without unmounting them as well.

never tried any of their softgoods. I always figured they were a hard goods brand.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Ngl having been sick for so long I dragged my feet a little yd getting to the mtn anticipating the possibility of sucking at snowboarding again. Was in better shape than I thought and while I wasn’t carving I made a lot of round/finished, linked turns and felt like I had good flow/speed control. Couldn’t have asked for a nicer day either. No jacket required.

IMG_0566.jpeg

Stopped by the patrol shack to give them props, scored a sick new hat and they approved of my proposed itinerary for the upcoming snow. It’s long and steep and was wicked fun last spring and I’ve been dying to get it with some fresh ever since. Supposedly flies under the radar on pow days even though it’s right off the first chair.
1706717089258.jpeg

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I’m flying out to Reno as we speak for 5 days in Tahoe
im staying in South Lake Tahoe and planning to hit heavenly and northstar each at least one day, and the rest at kirkwood
theres plenty of snow coming with 21 inches forecast tomorrow, 11 on Sunday, and 21 on monday

if anyones got local info they want to offer, please do!
@Iceman and @Kento hit me up with the goods, man!

ive been to kirkwood and heavenly both,
but if anyones got thoughts or tips on the driving or logistics, roads to avoid, parking tips, anything for when theres a few feet of snow, that’d be pretty nice!
I’m renting some bigass suv which better have 4wd, but do I need to rent or buy chains, or thoughts on anything like that