Skipper's Surf Review: Is it time to stop hating?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
average surfers on average waves are not fun to watch

but

it makes sense for an average surfer to review boards for other average surfers

to be fair, tons of guys surf just like him, but in their heads they think they are ripping like noel salad
It makes sense, but the reviews don’t. Unless the review is “it’s too small for me and not designed to be surfed by someone as uncoordinated as I am in the type of waves I ride, so it won’t be replacing my 7 foot funshape”

• Haha
Reactions: JTiago

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Iirc in the 90s we called these folks the wannabes and hanger-on’ers.

a different world when they have enough of each other to create their own economy.
Posers. The word is posers.

The silver lining with all these adult learner types for a fossil like me is that I can still surf circles around them. What a delusional ego boost. They bring the grading curve so low I moved from average to advanced. Haha.

I don’t mind Yury he rides a Daniel Jones boar and loves it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
average surfers on average waves are not fun to watch

but

it makes sense for an average surfer to review boards for other average surfers

to be fair, tons of guys surf just like him, but in their heads they think they are ripping like noel salad
This is what I said from the beginning.

And it's kind of fascinating some adult learner "from the southwest border of Russia between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea" took up surfing as an adult in NYC and somehow managed to progress in some way...that isn't easy.

And then made a youtube channel out of it. :roflmao:

I also think it's hilarious he surfs better switch but doesn't seem to realize it.

I want to not like the guy but I can't.

Way more interesting than a former D-grade pro surfer who moved to the outskirts of Dallas to become a pro surfskater to maintain a YouTube following.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yurt needs to bend his knees more instead of hunching over when a lip appears. That and use more of the wave, go a little more into the flats then jam a hard bottom turn. Learn to stall and then (bending the knees) fit into the tube. And pay more attention to rail engagement. How long has he been surfing? I can see how his reviews would be helpful to someone of similar or lesser talent. Me, I prefer to watch Dane Reynolds’ video clips to get an idea how a board will work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Yury’s front shoulder gets in the way of him rotating his hips and using his core to get more explosive turns. It’s too crunched up. He also looks like he uses his trailing arm to trigger what his body is going to do. Like when a baseball batter lifts up his front leg to trigger his swing. It’s opposite, he should trigger his body rotations with his leading shoulder by opening it up more and keeping his rear arm lower and quieter.

He bends his knees enough but it looks like he’s been coached and is trying to follow a script. That’s why it looks like he’s just a tad behind the beat. If you have to think about surfing while you’re surfing it’s looks and feels off.

If I could give him a suggestion I’d tell him to forget about doing turns and just learn how to pump the boar to go as fast as you can. Get that rhythm and motion down. It would also teach him how to use his rails by pumping rail to rail.

Reactions: oeste858

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
So in short, he can’t surf :LOL:

There’s a big guy in new zeland who does reviews too and also can barely stand on a board. It’s interesting to see him break down an A2 chilli sent him when the footage shows clearly that he had no business on anything less than twice that much surfboard. Interesting because, well, shapers are sending him boards!

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
So in short, he can’t surf :LOL:

There’s a big guy in new zeland who does reviews too and also can barely stand on a board. It’s interesting to see him break down an A2 chilli sent him when the footage shows clearly that he had no business on anything less than twice that much surfboard. Interesting because, well, shapers are sending him boards!
Link?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

It’s kinda messed up to say he can barely stand up, I was being mean. I do think it’s honest to say that he’s a surfer who would do better on a much larger board made for someone who just wants to swoop up and down a bit, not on a blown up Andy Irons board. But he’s standing in front of a quiver of boards designed for pros, then adjusted for “regular surfers”.
he does some episodes on midlengths and stuff like that where he looks like he’s having more fun and struggling less.

there are guys that totally rip doing good reviews, but I connect with the chubby guys that suck because in my mind I’m fat and suck at surfing and I want to watch their channels and see if anything helps them :LOL:

Pescado713

Nep status
May 2, 2019
a) He surfs better than probably 3/4s of surfers, at least around here. That's not saying much, but it's the truth.
b) I'm gonna say with some degree of certainty he surfs switch better than 99% of surfers, and better than anyone here that doesn't ride a log.

what's amazing is how much people prob pay to live in those crap condos in the lead-in, especially for the privilege of surfing that diarhea colored slop? Strong pass.

Reactions: weskussurfer