ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Check around in this site
for your area.
View attachment 154836
Might be useful.
More useful.@

12 day forecast for da ‘Bu. Includes everything you need to know.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
So is there any viable alternative to Surfline for FORECASTS for swell direction, period and size?
Obviously have to dive a little deeper/extrapolate a bit more and it's not just a stab and grab for immediate info but stormsurf.com is far and away the best IMO.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
The best is when Surfline starts predicting swell 17 days in advance so that everyone can clear their schedules and head to the same spots. Then, over the course of 17 days, the forecast gets smaller and smaller while the crowd preparing for it gets bigger and bigger. I love that.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The best is when Surfline starts predicting swell 17 days in advance so that everyone can clear their schedules and head to the same spots. Then, over the course of 17 days, the forecast gets smaller and smaller while the crowd preparing for it gets bigger and bigger. I love that.
EC Hurricane swell are the worst for this.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
So is there any viable alternative to Surfline for FORECASTS for swell direction, period and size?
Buoyweather had a detailed swell forecast page that would break down period, size and direction for all swells (meaning if multiple swells were in the water at once they had a chart that listed them). It was very helpful but they revamped the forecast tools and did away with the detailed swell chart. I then did away with my subscription for now what they offer you can get about anywhere.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
MSW was good because it gave a basic 7 day forecast that was easy to read for free. Plus surfchecks all over the world. It seems like in the new tech world anything well designed and easy to use gets cancelled or ruined

Reactions: Woke AF

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
MSW was good because it gave a basic 7 day forecast that was easy to read for free. Plus surfchecks all over the world. It seems like in the new tech world anything well designed and easy to use gets cancelled or ruined
Check the link in post #23. 12 day forecast with the same or more information.

Reactions: mundus

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Wish they gave direction on degrees vs S/SW/W etc. Beggars can’t be choosy though
For here it’s close enough. With time you can tell how the directions/time periods mix and play out. Also the bottom depending on the the river flow. Or lack there off.

We started with daily observations and I can’t remember the name of the graphic but an image of that for the southern hemisphere. I probably still have the notebook somewhere. Mid to late 90’s. After a couple of thousand days you can call it with pretty good accuracy taking in consideration the local weather conditions. Say 100 miles out to sea, a 100 miles inland.

This is a straight up place, 200 or less at 16 seconds and raging offshore from 10pm to 11am. The mix of smaller different direction swells is a wildcard.

Reactions: surf-shot.com

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
had my magic seaweed numbers for nias all set for years and then within last year surfline inflated all the numbers on magic and messed up my "i am getting a big round one " numbers

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I am convinced that this is a marketing tool they use...particularly on the East Coast in the summer. How to keep those eyes and clicks? Promise and degrade, promise and degrade..

Reactions: SurfMission

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
I am convinced that this is a marketing tool they use...particularly on the East Coast in the summer. How to keep those eyes and clicks? Promise and degrade, promise and degrade..
I noticed the same happened here for my part of UK. Great swell forecasts 10 days out then each day gets smaller and smaller until meh.

Also try to cancel your surfline account, it becomes like a dog turd stuck to your shoe that won't drop off.

Reactions: SurfMission

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My understanding is that all marine forecasts are designed to overpredict at distant future time periods as a default safety thing.

This is why models always tend to shrink rather than grow.

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
Obviously have to dive a little deeper/extrapolate a bit more and it's not just a stab and grab for immediate info but stormsurf.com is far and away the best IMO.
I think this is why I liked Magic Seaweed. Very easy to read. I actually have to learn to read the other sites - basically too much info for my little brain. I can't speak to the accuracy of the forecasts since I don't keep tabs on that too much.

I see that there are YouTube videos on how to read the forecasts (of course). Any recommendations?

Lastly, I'm pretty happy that I started a thread that people are interested in. This place can be a little bit like the Vietnam war for the new guy. :computer: