Brad Gerlach Wave Ki

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Do it.
Been kinda tempted before but never pulled trigger. He’s always had good style and seems to have broken down all the body positioning for different moves in detail. I don’t really think I’ve ever thought about my arm movement or any stuff like that before.
Amazing that I just naturally surf like TomCurren.

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
i did it. still a kook. the whole idea is to get your body comfortable and in control through all of the positions required for a certain turn or whatever. he's a total character in the videos: part Bruce Lee. part Spicoli. it helped my turns out i think. i got a few on camera last summer that i was stoked on.

if you like going into detail on technique and have a space where you can prance around without shame, you should do it.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
I know a dude that did it, and I think it helped him iron out some kinks. Some minor tweaks to his approach, mainly subtle body positioning upon take off and through the initial bottom turn, really helped his surfing.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
I know a dude that did it, and I think it helped him iron out some kinks. Some minor tweaks to his approach, mainly subtle body positioning upon take off and through the initial bottom turn, really helped his surfing.
This was my experience.

I can't see it being very helpful for beginners but if you've been surfing your whole life and never had any help with technique (most of us), it will iron out some kinks. My bottom turn has definitely improved, as well as my take off, especially on the late drops. Always keeping the shoulders square and the head centered over the front foot is a game changer for sure. However, it came at a cost as I don't chicken wing it with the back foot anymore and so every once in a while the top of my back foot will smack the tail of my board.

I thought the top-turn lessons were silly and couldn't see them helping me much. In the end, picking up a barbell and working on my strength was the best thing I could have done for my surfing as I've never been the naturally strong type.

My main takeaway was that WaveKi is geared towards good, critical waves - not the dribbly sh!t I surf in SoCal. If I had a trip coming up in some real waves I'd probably do a week or two of the take-off and bottom turn to prepare.

Edit: Forgot to mention that his program is based off of repetition, and since Brad's not there to critique your form, you better damn have it correct before you do it hundreds of times or you'll actually make your surfing worse! Filming helps in this regard.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I did it. Its very helpful and informative. He gives you access to a lot of videos. There are PDF's that you can print out if you want and take notes and work technique out on paper. There are exercises to do at home and there is a live Q&A i think he does once a month.

I found it hard to keep up with because of work and family life, but if you have the time its pretty rad. You can fast forward through some of the videos if you want or let it play. He breaks down technique in a great way! Not boring or lame. He likens it to karate, taekwondo or martial arts. I like it!!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
See "real" surf sk8 post to improve your style. (1) watch footage of favorite surfer(s) with style you like (2) Buy from sk8 not surf shop from well know company. (3) loosen non surf skate trucks hopefully Indyz so the wobble. (4) sk8 neighborhood with plenty of drive ways "otl, snaps, and slashes and trees to get tubed.
:foreheadslap:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Another thing he emphasizes throughout the program is control and strength of your feet. The routines are a great way to develop that control and strength.

This takes more practice than you would think. In certain “poses”, like a fs cutback where you are twisting and squatting low, you will inevitably have a lot of tension in your body which makes it harder to apply controlled force in your feet. The more you practice, the more you can relax into the pose and control your feet.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
imo this, and many other training programs, provides basic doctrine to promote flexibility and core strength.

whatever juju gets you to increase your time improving both, will translate to a better athletic stance and ability to react.

Mar 11, 2023
I’m wrapping up my 1st year of it. I feel like it’s helped make my surfing more cohesive. The bottom turn function was a big “aha” moment for me. The top turns also helped shed light into what I needed to correct.

What I like is that it focuses more on body placement/form rather than strength. The idea in his teaching is to work slowly through each maneuver when you’re on land so that it’s ingrained into your subconscious and comes naturally when in the water. The biggest thing I have is I need to be more consistent in doing daily practices.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
imo this, and many other training programs, provides basic doctrine to promote flexibility and core strength.

whatever juju gets you to increase your time improving both, will translate to a better athletic stance and ability to react.
+ this is why my work outs include boxing traning "timing/cardio: jumprope, speedbad, double end bag, and heavy bag. Crap like this is for people who over think the whole surfing "dancing on a wave" magic. Same with folks who over think pop up:foreheadslap:

Reactions: Havoc

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I’m wrapping up my 1st year of it. I feel like it’s helped make my surfing more cohesive. The bottom turn function was a big “aha” moment for me. The top turns also helped shed light into what I needed to correct.

What I like is that it focuses more on body placement/form rather than strength. The idea in his teaching is to work slowly through each maneuver when you’re on land so that it’s ingrained into your subconscious and comes naturally when in the water. The biggest thing I have is I need to be more consistent in doing daily practices.
Show

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+ this is why my work outs include boxing traning "timing/cardio: jumprope, speedbad, double end bag, and heavy bag. Crap like this is for people who over think the whole surfing "dancing on a wave" magic. Same with folks who over think pop up:foreheadslap:
Ever watch the formula 1 show on Netflix? I got super curious how the reaction and peripheral vision training may apply to surfing.

Ger is one of those white guys who wishes he was Asian. this is all just a play on Tai chi.