Twitter lol

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I'm not saying it should be held to journalistic standards. But when it comes to you or me being able to impersonate people/companies -- while it's hilarious -- there's also a real potential danger there. What's your fallback as a typical citizen or small business if someone spoofs you and that ends up doing real damage to your reputation or endangers you or your family? Elon has $$ and lawyers. Most of us don't.
People already can use the internet to damage any one of us and endanger our families, and the big companies can do this the easiest

Look what happened to Nick Sandman

This is democratization of communication

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm not saying it should be held to journalistic standards. But when it comes to you or me being able to impersonate people/companies -- while it's hilarious -- there's also a real potential danger there. What's your fallback as a typical citizen or small business if someone spoofs you and that ends up doing real damage to your reputation or endangers you or your family? Elon has $$ and lawyers. Most of us don't.
1668440386769.png

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Yeah people pointing out that he should have done this privately are missing that Elon picked a public venue to start shitting on his work. This dude is going to laugh to the bank with his 3-4mos of severance. He'll have a new job before the year ends.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Do you realize how a lot of s/w devs like yourself sound to normal people? I have no objection to what people do for a living as long as it's honest. However the arrogance of a lot of people in your sector compared to others is astonishing. It seems confined mostly to coastal cities at least.
The arrogance comes from being in high demand, anyone with more than a couple years experience as an eng gets their inbox flooded with interview offers. That feeling of being wanted is going to breed that arrogance.

Idk, people can poke fun at the free lunches and all of the other perks on offer but they're basically table stakes at this point if you want to attract talent. I agree that it's a little silly, but Google figured that offering employees lunch would actually save them money since people wouldn't leave campus or be distracted by what they needed to bring to work to eat. That happened and basically everyone had to follow suit.

I'm very grateful for my career and the opportunities it has provided me. Hopefully the gravy train doesn't end here cuz I like making money. :LOL:

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
I agree that it's a little silly, but Google figured that offering employees lunch would actually save them money since people wouldn't leave campus or be distracted by what they needed to bring to work to eat.
Good lord, I can only imagine what happens to these people at a grocery store when they are deciding what cereal to buy standing in front of two dozen different options.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The arrogance comes from being in high demand, anyone with more than a couple years experience as an eng gets their inbox flooded with interview offers. That feeling of being wanted is going to breed that arrogance.

Idk, people can poke fun at the free lunches and all of the other perks on offer but they're basically table stakes at this point if you want to attract talent. I agree that it's a little silly, but Google figured that offering employees lunch would actually save them money since people wouldn't leave campus or be distracted by what they needed to bring to work to eat. That happened and basically everyone had to follow suit.

I'm very grateful for my career and the opportunities it has provided me. Hopefully the gravy train doesn't end here cuz I like making money. :LOL:
#vanryssssmoneyflex ??? @afoaf paging afoaf

Reactions: tacos

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
idk. Did GG have a protege? :unsure:
I should have been more clear - I was responding in the general sense - not specifically to GG.

It seems he was very generous in person w his knowledge and experience though not aware of any direct “understudys” of his.

I personally see buck loads of highly skilled craftsmen across a wide range of practices…

W regards to surfboards - it’s it’s own fckn weird thing where design & building (shaping) have traditionally been done by the same individual…. N people twist their own t!ts raw over a brand not doing that… start adding non traditional tools like computers n milling machines n OMG, the raw t!t army go full fckn Karen. I know a number of young dudes that are becoming good at “shaping” - some w a modified electric planer n others w a lap top n CNC service etc. They are all just tools. My shoulders n back are fckd so I do CAD n cuts, planer sold years ago. There are other things I make using technology, machines from the 1950s…

Last edited: