NSR...What Mac book for grad...

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Architect here. Unfortunately most of my professional world lives in PC/Windows (Revit, Bluebeam, Lumion etc.) not Mac. If you want to get a Mac Book for your son you should definitely do it (I got one my 17 year old for his birthday last year and it's perfect for him for all the sh!t he likes - making shredits, mixing beats (lol) etc. as well as serves him well for school), but unless he's using a vastly different set of tools in school than we are using in the real world it won't be much use for Architecture. Design is another story altogether. Plus in a year he may not want to study any of that, tech changes fast and you need a pretty robust computer for some of the software. I say get him the Mac if you want to which will serve as a great computer for college in general but don't get it for any specific field of study in mind, especially Architorture. If he really gets into that you can get him something specific to it later.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Well, sh!t. Kiddo is leaving in a few weeks for school and the debate is on for MacBook vs Surface vs…? School she is going to runs on Office, so leaning towards Surface, but any other recs on Apple, MS, Lenovo, whatevs are very welcomed. For you troubles:
1659326708837.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Architect here. Unfortunately most of my professional world lives in PC/Windows (Revit, Bluebeam, Lumion etc.) not Mac. If you want to get a Mac Book for your son you should definitely do it (I got one my 17 year old for his birthday last year and it's perfect for him for all the sh!t he likes - making shredits, mixing beats (lol) etc. as well as serves him well for school), but unless he's using a vastly different set of tools in school than we are using in the real world it won't be much use for Architecture. Design is another story altogether. Plus in a year he may not want to study any of that, tech changes fast and you need a pretty robust computer for some of the software. I say get him the Mac if you want to which will serve as a great computer for college in general but don't get it for any specific field of study in mind, especially Architorture. If he really gets into that you can get him something specific to it later.
Yeah, I was going to say. We are a Mac family but my daughter is studying animation and says non one uses Macs. She says they mostly build their own. Which is what she is planning to do.

Reactions: bruhdakine

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
office is available in OSX.

if youre gonna go windows get a windows laptop. Tablet convertibles are a waste of money, imo. bad at being a tablet, bad at being a laptop/computer.

Reactions: sushipop

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Well, sh!t. Kiddo is leaving in a few weeks for school and the debate is on for MacBook vs Surface vs…? School she is going to runs on Office, so leaning towards Surface, but any other recs on Apple, MS, Lenovo, whatevs are very welcomed. For you troubles:
View attachment 135029
What does the school suggest for her chosen areas of study?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
office is available in OSX.

if youre gonna go windows get a windows laptop. Tablet convertibles are a waste of money, imo. bad at being a tablet, bad at being a laptop/computer.
Beyond being a display/viewing device and some other niche uses, tablets are the most worthless devices on the planet. Doing any kind of "work" on a tablet that involves data entry, formatting, editing etc is a friggin joke.

Reactions: hammies

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I recently got a macbook pro 13" m2 and added a apple usb superdrive only works when I plug it into one of the two thunderbolt 4 ports and the other I have a hub "Satechi - USB Type-C Slim 7-in-1 Multiport Adapter with Ethernet - 4K HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet, USB-C PD Charging" plugged in port 2. I was wondering if its safe to charge my macbook pro with the usb c on my hub?
Ports
  • Number of HDMI Ports (Total)
  • Number of HDMI 2.0 Ports
  • Number of HDMI 2.1 Ports
  • Number of DisplayPort Outputs (Total)
  • Number of VGA Ports

• Number of USB Ports (Total)
  • Number of USB 3.0 Type A Ports
  • Number Of Ethernet Ports
  • Memory Card Slot
    Yes
  • Memory Card Type