Lost Track Atlantic - Ep 3

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I loved Morocco.

We took a ferry from Spain and rented a car. Only spent five days there. Got pulled over for speeding twice, one of which resulted in a $15 ticket.

Only surfed one town, but it was really good.

No food poisoning. Great food & great wines.

Will bang again. Such a fun trip.
By renting a car you missed out on one of the "cultural" quirks of a developing country.

Tip- never sit next to young kids on buses in the developing world. Many are not used to motorized transport and get car sick. When returning to Spain from Morooco we met an American serviceman who asked, "Do kids still throw up on buses there?" We were happy to confirm his observations.
:barf:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Oh, and I have to tell this Morocco story, although it could go in the religion discussion-

Just before returning to Europe after a ten day sojourn, we were in Rabat and had to wait for a ferry that evening. This black market money changer began pestering us, following us around. He wouldn't take "No" for an answer. A certain point he even followed us into a restaurant where we had decided to eat lunch.

The discussion turned to religion (which our Lonely Planet tour book said to avoid discussing). My friend asked him why, if his religion (Islam) was so great, were there so many wars involving Muslim countries? He said it was God's way of keeping down the population. I said nothing and just shook my head. He turned his attention to me because I was not speaking. "You! What do think God is?" I replied, "Well, God is everything, everywhere. God is outside (gesturing around the room). God is inside (gesturing to his head and then my head). God is even inside this Coke bottle (pointing to Coke bottle on the table)."

At that point he stoodup in the restaurant and began hysterically speaking in Arabic, repeatedly pointing to me and then to Coke bottle. All the others patrons were giving me the death stare. "Hey Dave, let's get out of here." Well, at least that was too much for the black market money changer. He stopped following us.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
By renting a car you missed out on one of the "cultural" quirks of a developing country.

Tip- never sit next to young kids on buses in the developing world. Many are not used to motorized transport and get car sick. When returning to Spain from Morooco we met an American serviceman who asked, "Do kids still throw up on buses there?" We were happy to confirm his observations.
:barf:
Oh we took buses in Tangiers and Casablanca, the latter of which I really loved. We had a surfboard, so public transportation was not used for getting to surf. Aside from that, yes we used it, and taxis, which are basically public. So much fun. People on buses would speak to me in Arabic, I guess I look Moroccan enough. "Je suis Californien" was my reply. Then they would smile and laugh.