Kelly's decline(?) on Slater Designs. And his usage of odd surfboards.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Kelly is looking good on that Webber (makes me wanna get oen)! But Mason owned that session.

I posted this mainly for Casa! We all know Casa loves Mason. :waving:
My verdict which was was formed before seeing the stars and the surfboard credit list. In order of which boards looked most suited to the job

1. Coco Ho's Mayhem.
2. Kelly's Greg Webber.
3. Mason's Mayhem

Mason's board looked a bit too short, but it doesn't matter they were all having fun. As to who was surfing best, such different surfers I can't compare.
MasonKellyCoco.png

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm pretty sure Caca likes nothing and no one :D
cc: @casa_mugrienta

When people have honest opinions, positive and negative, others will only focus on the negative opinions.

I've given plenty of accolades here. Great surfing, great surfboards, great glassers.

Most people simply aren't willing to be negative.

Perfect example:
I've had 3 boards from a certain well known shaper here.
2 of those boards were fantastic - I raved about them here, recommended them in multiple threads, helped other posters dial in dims.
1 of those boards was horrible.
All 3 of those boards were pretty horrible materials wise.

When I gave my honest feedback on this stuff some people became pretty upset. One particular user said that I come on the forum and do nothing but trash the said shaper. How dare you, etc. That was completely false. But people only focus on the negative...

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Bells is for rail surfing and at the start of this selection he is looking fantastic on his Slater design. It was very windy and bumpy when he was on his Simon Anderson (the board with the triangle decal), so not a fair comparison. I also speculate that the pu Anderson board would have felt unfamiliar. At the end is included some of his mistakes when he got knocked out of the quarter finals.

He lost to Ryan Callinan and it does look like he was making things too hard for himself with his choice of board. A bigger, more stable and less responsive board would have made it easier. Also made some wave selection mistakes, at 4 or 5 min in took off on completely the wrong wave. Its not an easy wave to predict, but he has had plenty of experience there.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
When people have honest opinions, positive and negative, others will only focus on the negative opinions.

I've given plenty of accolades here. Great surfing, great surfboards, great glassers.

Most people simply aren't willing to be negative.

Perfect example:
I've had 3 boards from a certain well known shaper here.
2 of those boards were fantastic - I raved about them here, recommended them in multiple threads, helped other posters dial in dims.
1 of those boards was horrible.
All 3 of those boards were pretty horrible materials wise.

When I gave my honest feedback on this stuff some people became pretty upset. One particular user said that I come on the forum and do nothing but trash the said shaper. How dare you, etc. That was completely false. But people only focus on the negative...
You're taking my poke at you far to seriously / not in the spirit in which it was intended :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Bells is for rail surfing and at the start of this selection he is looking fantastic on his Slater design. It was very windy and bumpy when he was on his Simon Anderson (the board with the triangle decal), so not a fair comparison. I also speculate that the pu Anderson board would have felt unfamiliar. At the end is included some of his mistakes when he got knocked out of the quarter finals.

He lost to Ryan Callinan and it does look like he was making things too hard for himself with his choice of board. A bigger, more stable and less responsive board would have made it easier. Also made some wave selection mistakes, at 4 or 5 min in took off on completely the wrong wave. Its not an easy wave to predict, but he has had plenty of experience there.

That wave was super mushy and it was much easier for backside surfing. I thought his board looked good. Maybe a little small but the wave is so mushy it never really provided Kelly an opportunity to get it vertical and do some nice turns.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
That wave was super mushy and it was much easier for backside surfing. I thought his board looked good. Maybe a little small but the wave is so mushy it never really provided Kelly an opportunity to get it vertical and do some nice turns.
It is an interesting thought that the wave disadvantages regular foot and reminded me of Mark Occilupo's surfing there. However a look at the Bell's winners list does not back up that idea. I am sticking to my opinion that Kelly could have done better. Despite his age he was surfing sensational in some of the earlier rounds and even the greatest makes mistakes and in the quarter finals a bigger board would have helped.

The Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach: A Brief History - World Surf League

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
Age is the downfall of all men. I think he's still on tour just for the heck of it and actually likes competing and TBH, at his age he's faster and stronger than most other competitors.

Reactions: jkb

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
WTH is this thread about? Right now at age 48 Slaten is in the quarterfinals at pipe. After finishing last season in the top ten. Is there anybody at any time that compares to this? Whatever he's doing with his boards it's working great for him.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
WTH is this thread about? Right now at age 48 Slaten is in the quarterfinals at pipe. After finishing last season in the top ten. Is there anybody at any time that compares to this? Whatever he's doing with his boards it's working great for him.
Out of the quarters and into the semi's.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Shane Dorian was talking about how much crazy stuff is going on with those Webbers he's riding. He made a point to say that it's a pretty standard template, but some extreme contours going on. Not sure what brand the white quads were. The little Nubster was back in play on his backup board.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Do you see Kelly hanging it all up? Going to Home Depot‘s garden center on the weekend? Maybe perusing Nordstrom’s men’s shoes department?

He’s just like touring musicians. Life is the road/travel and it’s engrained in him. Different boards = different guitars/amps/effects. He loves it, don’t we all - the boards that is.