3D Archery Looks Really Fun

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
If you think 3D Archery looks fun you should give Sporting Clays a try.

I've taken one deer with a bow. Way back when I was 15 years old. A 130 pound 5 pointer. That deer ruined me on bow hunting because it came too easily. Used buck lure walking to my stand and this deer was hot on the trail. I was only in the tree stand for a very short time when this buck comes in completely dumb on buck lure and oblivious to me. Hunt was over in 20 minutes. After that I was never patient enough to sit silent in a deer stand to be successful with bow hunting.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
no i'm not that good haha. most spot n stalk axis deer with a compound bow like healey and dorian

I think recurve or not depends a lot on the species and style of hunting. Most shots from a tree stand are less than 20 yards. My friend shot his last several pigs right outside the truck less than 20 yards. I haven't hunted antelope but guys say they'll sneak-in to recurve distance, miss, and the antelope will stand there for a follow-up shot.

Rogan said axis deer will dodge an arrow from a compound bow when it's 15 yards away. Crazy.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
If you think 3D Archery looks fun you should give Sporting Clays a try.

I've taken one deer with a bow. Way back when I was 15 years old. A 130 pound 5 pointer. That deer ruined me on bow hunting because it came too easily. Used buck lure walking to my stand and this deer was hot on the trail. I was only in the tree stand for a very short time when this buck comes in completely dumb on buck lure and oblivious to me. Hunt was over in 20 minutes. After that I was never patient enough to sit silent in a deer stand to be successful with bow hunting.
SAme. I dont' know how guys sit in a stand. Seems boring as hell.

Reactions: GromsDad

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
I think recurve or not depends a lot on the species and style of hunting. Most shots from a tree stand are less than 20 yards. My friend shot his last several pigs right outside the truck less than 20 yards. I haven't hunted antelope but guys say they'll sneak-in to recurve distance, miss, and the antelope will stand there for a follow-up shot.

Rogan said axis deer will dodge an arrow from a compound bow when it's 15 yards away. Crazy.
Yup if they are keyed in on you or the wind is light and every sound from your bow shot is magnified the axis will duck a couple feet and be outta there before your arrow even gets close to them. Super spooky like tweaker deer. And they run in herds and bark at any danger so you don;t just beat one's eyes you gotta beat all of them. And then there's usually so many bedded or hiding in the brush or grass that you don;t see, you will be focused on getting close to one but another you never even knew was there will blow the whole herd out. pretty addicting though and feels very primal.

i mostly spot n stalk becuase I feel I see more game and get more exercise. Sitting in a stand or blind is pretty boring but usually is more effective. Don't think I could really get into the typical whitetail treestand hunting. Would love to get a chance to backpack hunt mule deer or elk in the high country though some day.

Reactions: PRCD

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
ya i've done a couple 3d shoots and I spot n stalk bowhunt and can confirm, lots of fun
Would like to bow hunt at least once. Could see myself getting a cheap recurve to shoot at fake animals in the yard for sure(had a little fiberglass one that I loved a kid).

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Would like to bow hunt at least once. Could see myself getting a cheap recurve to shoot at fake animals in the yard for sure(had a little fiberglass one that I loved a kid).
It definitely helps your gun hunting to bow hunt. You can get a cheap recurve, learn to shoot, and use some judo points to shoot small game in your backyard if you want.

This is even cheaper:

Archery can get expensive. Keep the costs down until you decide you like it.

Last edited: