Recent content by Darthwader

1. D

Will the Atlantic go XXL in December?

Firing in NJ right now, suiting up!
  2. D

The COIL review thread

Found a used coil somewhat within my dims and have really enjoyed it. Would like to build a custom. I tried to reach out to them using the Emails on page 190 here and on their instagram account without any success. Anyone here have a contact for them?
  3. D

sizing winter board

I am a middle aged NE surfer; we surf hollow beach breaks on the backside of our our cold fronts. We also have to battle strong offshore winds when dropping in; with enough rubber on to resemble a seal. I go to a heavy glassed mini step up that is 4" longer and 4L more than my HPSB. We don't get...
  4. D

Hypto Krypto

Had a HC for one winter. It went well enough in good waves,,,but so do most boards. Thing felt like a bloated turd if it hit a flat section. Did not stand out in any way. Wave needed to be HH to work, and it just worked OK,,,,for me anyway.
  5. D

Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

Better angle, you guys are brutal!
  6. D

Pic of leash string (now on another board) and leash
  7. D

Cut and paste below: Used the string provided. Can give pics when I get home. Again, I get the scrutiny. Looks like I got a lemon. Glad there is a group here that loves theirs. Judging by the response here, my experience with Varial is the exception. I live on the East Coast and have not seen or...
  8. D

XTR

8.0 stringered. Solid!. Little stiff but great in a chop or heavy offshore wind. Worth the wait!
  9. D

The board was pretty. Light as a feather.
  10. D

ya, sure looks that way. Even if,,,,6 waves in chest high surf. Brand new off the rack??? Board broke like an egg. Between my son and I, have owned LOTS of boards. Never had this happen before. It is what it is. This is my only Varial experience.
  11. D

Here are the pics. Before anyone accuses me of my leash string being too long,,,,,,it wasn't.
  12. D

My Roberts are Pureglass, and they are a FANTASTIC glass job. I don't think the Varial board is a Roberts glass job. I don't think any commercial shaper glasses closed cell foam. I am not sure, but I think that closed cell foam requires proprietary technology to glass. I am putting this on...
  13. D

Row Jimmy (GR8full!): Roberts shaped (I have had four Roberts prior to this, their glass job is fantastic. I really like their quality). The glass job on the Varial "peeled" off the board after the leash plug pulled (reminded me of a banana peeling). I'll take a pic when I get home. When you say...
  14. D

My Varial lasted 6 waves. I purchased it off the rack (perhaps an older version/technology). The leash plug pulled and it delaminated like a banana (chest high surf). The glass job was razor thin. When I called, they told me "sorry, nothing we can do about it". My 8.0 XTR is a much better...