Car totaled question

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You’re going to spend more in your own time than the car is worth. Unless your personal time is worthless. That’s why.
I don't follow - purchased for $9k in 2011 - that's $750/yr cost of ownership. Insurance something like $500/yr.

Replaced struts and brakes in that time period (12 years)

Otherwise no issues.

I think I got my money's worth.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Of course it does.
Why would my insurance find out about the accident in the first place?

Regardless:

Cal. Ins. Code § 491
https://casetext.com/pdf-email?slug=california-codes/california-insurance-code/division-1-general-rules-governing-insurance/part-1-the-contract/chapter-5-the-premium/section-491-premium-increase-based-on-accident-in-which-insured-not-at-fault
Section 491 - Premium increase based on accident in which insured not at fault
The rating plan of a motor vehicle liability insurer shall not provide for an increase in the premium if based upon an accident in which the insured is not at fault, in any manner, as determined by either the accident report or the insurer. In the event the insurer determines that its insured is at fault contrary to an accident report's specific finding that the insured is not at fault, the insurer shall reach its conclusion only after an investigation.
Ca. Ins. Code § 491
Added by Stats. 1986, Ch. 470, Sec. 1.

Different situation - when my wife got hit/runned some years back (we live on a steep hill with street parking - lots of hit and runs here) she had to make a claim with our insurance because of the damage - guy told us there would be no rate increase because of our driving records - we doubted- but no discernible increase the following year.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I am sad for carro_chingado reliable transportation that was no longer depreciating probably getting totaled.

The banter in this thread is top-tier though.

I don't follow - purchased for $9k in 2011 - that's $750/yr cost of ownership. Insurance something like $500/yr.

Otherwise no issues.

Uncle Ogro postulates that fighting it out with the insurers above/beyond taking the money and run will incur an opportunity cost wherein the sum of casa_moogsies hours expended x casa_moogsies hourly value is greater than $1500-$2000

He's in complete agreement with you on sound financial decision making re: the appliance of vehicle having a low cost per unit time and mileage.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Uncle Ogro postulates that fighting it out with the insurers above/beyond taking the money and run will incur an opportunity cost wherein the sum of casa_moogsies hours expended x casa_moogsies hourly value is greater than $1500-$2000

He's in complete agreement with you on sound financial decision making re: the appliance of vehicle having a low cost per unit time and mileage.
Oh, then I agree.

Not having done this before or knowing anyone who has I just wanted to make sure I'm taking the best payout option (was told there will likely be two)

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
It sucks that fair market value for a reliable older car isn’t usually enough to buy another reliable car
I hope you’ve got the means to throw more of your own money toward buying something that’s a reasonable replacement

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Oh, then I agree.

Not having done this before or knowing anyone who has I just wanted to make sure I'm taking the best payout option (was told there will likely be two)
My wife totaled a car
There was only one payout option
Ny may be different with that
What would be the difference bet the 2 options?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001

Otherwise no issues.

that's winning

how many miles did you put on it?

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It sucks that fair market value for a reliable older car isn’t usually enough to buy another reliable car
I hope you’ve got the means to throw more of your own money toward buying something that’s a reasonable replacement
I do.

Want to buy a nicer car for my wife, I will take possession of her Honda Fit. 170k on it but still ticking.