Darks Arts EPS and Carbon Fiber Surfboards

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Can you explain why a Dark Arts board painted white would be more heat sensitive than any other eps build because I don’t see how the introduction of carbon standing alone would make a difference.
Because the thermal conductivity of carbon fiber is significantly higher than fiberglass.

You really don't want them warming up white or not.

Further - from what I was told by people who were doing CF with DA before DA existed - CF are more prone to delam in general just due to the general properties of the cloth itself. Don't know if this is true, but I can understand why it might make sense - stiffness vs curves and denting of the foam.

Just saying best bet - keep out of warm sun, always, and transport in a reflective boardbag. And never let it warm up in the car.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Best bet is to water cool since they won’t dissipate their own heat like a fiberglass board, lol.

also, carbon is weird with thermal expansion/contraction in the opposite direction of most materials (negative coefficient, albeit a small one).

It’s quite different than a lot of materials and could play a role in why they like to delam from the foam core when thermally cycled. when you heat CF, it contracts, and when you cool it, it expands.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Casa is right about the boards heating up. I have noticed mine get blazing hot walking from my car to the surf.

They would self destruct in the tropics.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
But I think the original question is would a dark arts board painted white absorb less heat than a standard black one?

The white one would be noticeably cooler.....I would think.

Would it be as cool to the touch as a standard white fiberglass board? I don't think so.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I think lordofthedings posted that he is doing pressure-release plugs on a lot of them. I think aviso did this as well?

I'd fuggin love an A/O in darks arts painted white, but im still scared of the delam and would be so pissed off about it on a $1600 board

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
i think the point casa was making is that convective cooling is less effective with a CF board in comparison to fiberglass.

so, even if you slow down the rate the board heats up using a color with higher solar reflectivity, the heat is still going to sit in the board until you put it in a cooler environment.

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest and JDJ

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've had four Darkarts and two Varial carbon and havent had any delam issues. Yes, I live in the PNW but I go to Baja every year including summer trips to San Jose. I keep them in white or reflective bags and I don't leave them out in the sun, just like basically any other board I own.

I have no doubt that if I left a carbon board in the direct sun on a hot day bad things would happen.

I do think any light color paint or tint over the carbon would help reflect some of the sunlight and make it less likely that the board would reach the egg frying temps at which bad things happen.

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
I am afraid to count how many carbon builds I have in rotation suffice to say it is many. I have traveled extensively with them for years and I haven't had a single issue. I do treat my gear well with white/reflective day bags etc., they do heat up very fast in the tropics/sun, but basically should be going from bag to water back to bag. I haven't noticed any difference in painted vs. straight carbon in terms of heat and think it wouldn't have enough of an impact to handle them different. I treat clear/poly the same and it has always served me well.

Related note I did have a nose of an XTR delam from sun exposure sitting by the pool and it was not particularly hot (Fiji) but the rails were black. An easy fix with resin injected in small holes and clamped and it remains as one of my favorites for certain conditions.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Best bet is to water cool since they won’t dissipate their own heat like a fiberglass board, lol.

also, carbon is weird with thermal expansion/contraction in the opposite direction of most materials (negative coefficient, albeit a small one).

It’s quite different than a lot of materials and could play a role in why they like to delam from the foam core when thermally cycled. when you heat CF, it contracts, and when you cool it, it expands.
I don't see how a carbon fiber surfboard would get to a temperate level so high that the fibers would expand and contract. From what I was able to research thermal expansion is large for gases but negligible for solids. So if the gases in the EPS core are what heat up and cause a delam, I would presume it would be the same as a fiberglass board, right? For example: If you painted a fiberglass board black (if a delam occurs) it should delam at the same rate a carbon fiber surfboard would, when exposed to sunlight, correct?

Or does the carbon fiber trap in the gas? How does the carbon fiber come into play?

Just trying to understand... :shaka:

Reactions: Aruka

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Spray job looks t!ts! Well done!

Fvck that came pad tho.

Have you been getting fashion advice from Chris Christenson?
haha. gracias!

what pad would you go with? white channel island 2 piece, flat?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Spray job looks good from here.

I love me some camo sh1t but I'm not feeling it in this case.

Astrodeck Nathan black and red would be my vote. Or Futures Jordy if you aren't confident enough to pull off the red flair.

• Love
Reactions: sh3 and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@jkb I dont have a white pad, but I can order one.

This is actually an interesting subject. I'm surprised no one has started an official traction pad thread.