Chris Ward aka "Psycho Ward"

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I would have paid a couple bucks to see Kala give Wardo a tune-up in Hawaii. It's in one of the Ward Stories episodes.

Kala said (paraphrasing) - "it was akin to smacking an old TV with bad reception"
Most of those interviews are really good. The one guy saying he likes the Ward pro model and hates buying it because he knows Chris gets $20. The Andy, Bruce, Burger, and Navarro bits are awesome.

Reactions: tacos
Jan 12, 2002
Austin, TX
I lived in Cypress Shores and surfed Church to Cottons daily. 94-95. Not a fuck up
That was a fun era in that neighborhood. I didn't live there, but a bunch of high school friends did. It was awesome getting to go through the gate at the beach. Some memorable bonfires there, and some closeout tubes. Some buddies called it TOADS (Take Off And Die). Hahaha.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
That was a fun era in that neighborhood. I didn't live there, but a bunch of high school friends did. It was awesome getting to go through the gate at the beach. Some memorable bonfires there, and some closeout tubes. Some buddies called it TOADS (Take Off And Die). Hahaha.
I lived on the Calafia loop on Lobiero.Split $850/a month w/my roomie for a 2br that probably costs $2k plus a month now. My surfboard racked manual pedal Electra put many, many miles between there, Trestles, SanO and in the summer when everywhere else was packed, Trails. It was a good time to live in San Clem. Only ever surfed with Ward once. Watched him and an older local nearly come to blows after he burned the older local.

Reactions: tacos

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
In my trips to San Clemente over the years he's paddled out where I was at three times. All three times he paddled out, got a bunch of waves in a short period of time and he was gone. He didn't sit outside and wait for sets. He stayed busy and hunted down the waves under the crowd and rode each wave he got to its maximum potential. Then he'd be gone.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Surfed lowers a lot between 88-92, Wardo was a supergrom probably somewhere around '91, I dont think I have ever seen a little kid surf as well, he was an absolute phenom as a grom. Bright blond hair and giant teeth, burning all the big names and humbling all the average joes. Was not surprised at his pro career, nor his antics considering the guys he came up behind.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Anyone else notice how much we cover the same topics over and over and over again? Not knocking it, I'm here for it and contribute to it. Just an observation. :shaka:

It's an old person thing for sure. I've got a buddy that will tell the same stories over and over, soon as the subject is broached again with someone new in the group.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I’ve always felt that I’m above the fray. Somewhat of an elitist. Entitled. Those waves are mine because I’m a product of that environment. I shouldn’t have to fight for waves. Like some Brazilian ghetto punk, who so helpless in his demeanor, that he can’t find a way out of his mediocrity. Somebody who just wants to get into the mix of it because of their clay eating lifestyle in their basic bone structure

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I’ve always felt that I’m above the fray. Somewhat of an elitist. Entitled. Those waves are mine because I’m a product of that environment. I shouldn’t have to fight for waves. Like some Brazilian ghetto punk, who so helpless in his demeanor, that he can’t find a way out of his mediocrity. Somebody who just wants to get into the mix of it because of their clay eating lifestyle in their basic bone structure
Beat it kook. And take your methed out mid 90’s crew with you. Loosers.