Chris Ward aka "Psycho Ward"

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
That 2008-2010 era of the ASP when Ward was on tour was very entertaining. Not only incredible surfing and waves, but real characters at their peak. Cooly kids, Irons Bros, Hobgoods, Bobby, Demonic Slater, Dane, and Jordy. Whole thing is a gift to still watch for free, but damn it seems so watered down.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Wardo! This one is my personal favorite.
I was in the water that morning...I remember looking towards shore in the direction of Nikki Beach (nightclub) and saw Wardo rounding the corner and thinking whoever the cameraman was had body language showing clearly he was taking his job way too serious, all crouched down with the camera like it's Jamie Thomas about to try the Leap of Faith at age 50.

The only thing that comes to mind when I try to describe it...

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Ran into Wardo at Wedge back on the big Wednesday swell July '09.

Overheard him saying he didn't know what all the hype was about Wedge.

He was not at all amused by the spot but he still put on a pretty good show nonetheless.

These photos are crumby but he was putting on a clinic like it was no big deal.

Board looks tiny.

Despite the gut his surfing at Lowers still has that top level pro feel to it in person.

Reactions: keenfish

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Years back Indian Guides provided a weekend of great Fall late south swells on Camp Pendleton. One year it was really pumping and Ward and another really good surfer whom I don't know were out. Just murdering it. Being totally respectful calling kooks into waves, good vibe. When the kids hit the water for the Polar Bear Plunge, He kind of spass'ed out and wanted to know what was going on. I told him what it was and he started going off about how he was X% American Indian and shouting war cries when he was going for waves. Pretty entertaining to say the least.
Unfortunately, his history of bad behavior negates most if not all of the good stuff.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
grew up watching this dude surf, very often in person - such a good surfer. starting to show his age a bit in the smaller stuff at least

what do i gotta to do surf that wave by myself? looks so fun
Hang out there for months at a time and you'll get a lot of good uncrowded surf in that pocket. He was far from alone out there. From the video it's getting pretty developed. Really good fishing, bass for BLD.

Reactions: keenfish

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Surfed some really good waves with him down south a few years ago. He was definitely ripping and wasnt too annoying to surf with. Him and his lady were camped next to us and they got wasted on tequila and screamed at eachother for hours.