Earthquake

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
It's not uncommon for some people to get hit with vertigo at the start of a quake. It happens to me all the time and I immediately know what's going to happen. :bricks:
Nah no vertigo. Just a weird sensation knowing the ground is moving.
Always the fucking media with these things :roflmao:

View attachment 177226
Both kinda accurate.
Buddy at work said he ran out of the building.
Then there's my bro in law who works in Manhattan and didn't even notice it.

• Wow
Reactions: r32

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I too feel ripped off. The few earthquakes I’ve been present for I either didn’t notice or like today I stepped outside to take a call while getting my truck inspected and didn’t feel it outside. Just to go inside to a bunch of mechanics giggling in the corner.

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah everyone just started laughing at the novelty of it. There was a disappointing lack of hysteria.

Even our token tranny laughed it off and they can typically be counted on to bring the drama :D

rainbow road was delighted

instagram feed was quickly awash with gleeful #EarthquakeNYC posts

I celebrated by leaving the office at 1:30

• Love
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Anyone remember the World Series Earthquake in Bay Area when the fans cheered, not realizing how major it was?

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yep, same for me. As long as I know I'm in a safe place like home or work, I'll just ride it out and cleanup later. My wife on the other hand immediately starts yelling for everyone to run to a safe place.
Growing up in So Cal, it's easy to get used to all but the worst of them. View attachment 177223
Every time there is an earthquake I secretly hope it’s “the big one” so we can get that out of the way.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Anyone remember the World Series Earthquake in Bay Area when the fans cheered, not realizing how major it was?
Yep, that was my biggest one. I was in SF CA for most of the 80's, caught a couple good ones, including that one. Oakland A's versus SF Giants, game three, fourth inning. The whole world was watching because of the Series, they interrupted it to show pictures of the Bay bridge collapsed over and over, which made my EC family freak out because they thought SF was in ruins and they couldn't get through on the phone :roflmao:
I'm pretty sure that's where the phrase "Mother Nature bats last" originated.

• Wow
Reactions: r32

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
1989 Loma Prieta Quake. I was 12 at the time and our little league coach got some tix for the game after (can't remember if that was the make up or final game 4). Most popular accessory in the crowd were construction hard hats with either Giants or A's logos on the front :roflmao:

I think it measured out at 7.2. I was at my middle school football game at the time walking back to the huddle. About 10 miles from the epicenter. Can't remember if I felt or heard it first, but everyone knew immediately what was happening. I'll never forget looking at the eucalyptus trees lining the fields shake and bend to what seemed like a 45 degree angle at a time. You could sense the wave of energy roll through the grass field while every safety tempered glass window of the science wing shattered in succession. Absolute chaos afterwards. Kids and parents dispersed immedately in all directions. I just found a way home in classic 80s kid style. Ruptured water mains, downed fences, and some older homes imploded. Looked like a movie scene.

Reactions: Subway and sdsrfr

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
My niece in the city said its was freak out actor 99. She came out in hallway with a manhattan and told her neighbors... hold my drink. Freaking savage. hahhahaha

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
1989 Loma Prieta Quake. I was 12 at the time and our little league coach got some tix for the game after (can't remember if that was the make up or final game 4). Most popular accessory in the crowd were construction hard hats with either Giants or A's logos on the front :roflmao:

I think it measured out at 7.2. I was at my middle school football game at the time walking back to the huddle. About 10 miles from the epicenter. Can't remember if I felt or heard it first, but everyone knew immediately what was happening. I'll never forget looking at the eucalyptus trees lining the fields shake and bend to what seemed like a 45 degree angle at a time. You could sense the wave of energy roll through the grass field while every safety tempered glass window of the science wing shattered in succession. Absolute chaos afterwards. Kids and parents dispersed immedately in all directions. I just found a way home in classic 80s kid style. Ruptured water mains, downed fences, and some older homes imploded. Looked like a movie scene.
well put :waving:

i was home when that one hit - i lived on Fell & Central, in the Haight. thought maybe it was a big truck going by at first - always lots of truck traffic up Fell St, which can make the building vibrate anytime. but the houseplants were swinging wildly and the cat bolted into the bathroom and dove under the clawfoot bathtub, and the swaying and shaking seemed to go on and on. :oops:

and outside, it was very much like a movie scene....everyone was outside coz no one wanted to get caught inside. people milling about the Panhandle commiserating with each other, car alarms and sirens going off in the distance, plumes of smoke off on the horizon, i can recall one guy had a little black-and-white portable tv perched on top of a parked car and a couple dozen people crowded around, trying to get news.

and since every news organization in the country already had a live crew broadcasting in SF because of the Series, pics like these went around the world within minutes. my family assumed the whole city was leveled - it took a few days to get thru and get my mom calmed down.
Bay_Bridge_collapse.jpg

343622_LP_QUAKE GALLERY_1280X720_17.jpg

343608_LP_QUAKE GALLERY_1280X720_12.jpg

343600_LP_QUAKE GALLERY_1280X720_08.jpg

343595_LP_QUAKE GALLERY_1280X720_04.jpg

Reactions: sdsrfr

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Was on the phone with work folks in San Diego when the 2011 NJ one happened. Told the dude I gotta go, I think we’re having an earthquake. Guy thought I was yanking his chain. Cracked the Washington monument.

this time was in San Fran airport on phone with wife and she’s says the same thing. Thought she was yanking my chain.

good times.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
1989 Loma Prieta 6,9.

I was 2 stories underground at work processing and packaging mortgage loans on 2nd street just a few blocks south of Market Street.... that whole landfill area?

Fook me running, one of the most scared I have EVAR been.

Library like stacks of loan files flew everywhere, steel girders that were retrofitted into the building seemed to dance like one of those blow up dolls at a used car lot on a really windy day. I thought I was going to die. I KNEW I was going to die.

But, I didn't.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I go into fatalistic mode when Earthquakes hit. I definitely don't panic. I don't remember which earthquake it was but I remember one in which my mom came to my room almost hysterical, "It's an earthquake!!!" and I stayed under the covers and calmly replied, "What do you want me to do about it?"
They are reminders that we are insignificant. Most of us walk around in our daily lives believing that we matter. Earthquakes are particularly good at exposing the truth, exposing our futility.

They come without warning, you can’t see them. The foundation upon which everything sits becomes hostile to you and everything you’ve built. They are planetary.

Your mother‘s reaction tells me her internal beliefs about our place in the universe being scraped away.

Your reaction tells me you are closer to acceptance of our piddly little place in life.