Varial RIP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
A buddy has an Album on order with Varial foam and Infused Glass. We had been discussing the apparent liquidation and ceasing custom orders through their site. My buddy asked Matt Parker what was up and his response from yesterday was (copy pasted):

"Ya Varial is done. Such a bummer. They only owned the license usage of the foam for watersports. THe aerospace co that owns the formula & manufactures it cut them off permanently. not a big enough market for them to waste their time with unfortunately. I think your Disaster is the last order that made it under the cut!"

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I really regret putting off my Varial Bomdia round tail step up order. The Varial Bomdia asym is an all time board for me.

I had a couple issues with them messing up my orders otherwise I would have gotten more boards from them.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
A buddy has an Album on order with Varial foam and Infused Glass. We had been discussing the apparent liquidation and ceasing custom orders through their site. My buddy asked Matt Parker what was up and his response from yesterday was (copy pasted):

"Ya Varial is done. Such a bummer. They only owned the license usage of the foam for watersports. THe aerospace co that owns the formula & manufactures it cut them off permanently. not a big enough market for them to waste their time with unfortunately. I think your Disaster is the last order that made it under the cut!"
Old news.

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'm super bummed. I'm going to placing a two board order with Tim Stamps in the next month or two. Not sure what I'll do now in regards to build. I may do standard PU or some sort of carbon build through Pureglass.

Tim doesn't seem to keen to try Dank Farts based on some negative stuff Daren Handley had while DH was at Tim's place last summer getting some ding repairs done for borts for Kolohe.

Tim also won't work with XTR as his experience mirrored mine. We both used the term "sh^t show".

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest and Lowqi2

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Tim is open to xtr IF you haul the board from being cut at xtr up to his place to finish shape and then back down again for glassing. At least he was a few years ago.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm super bummed. I'm going to placing a two board order with Tim Stamps in the next month or two. Not sure what I'll do now in regards to build. I may do standard PU or some sort of carbon build through Pureglass.

Tim doesn't seem to keen to try Dank Farts based on some negative stuff Daren Handley had while DH was at Tim's place last summer getting some ding repairs done for borts for Kolohe.

Tim also won't work with XTR as his experience mirrored mine. We both used the term "sh^t show".
Spill the beans.

• Haha
Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I hope Tim revisits XTR now that Javier has sold the biz.

@ChaseTMP: I would be curious what Tim says about alternative constructions. I imagine it’s whatever he wants to and can do in house and whatever Pure Glass is doing. But I could be wrong.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Spill the beans.
I only know that he wasn’t excited to try Dark Arts after a conversation last summer with DH. Tim didn’t say what exactly what DH said.

Same with XTR. I said it was a sh|t show from my experience with them and Tim said “yeah, shitshow!”, but didn’t elaborate.

Reactions: Homie

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I hope Tim revisits XTR now that Javier has sold the biz.

@ChaseTMP: I would be curious what Tim says about alternative constructions. I imagine it’s whatever he wants to and can do in house and whatever Pure Glass is doing. But I could be wrong.
I’ll delve more into construction options with him when I’m putting the deposit down. I think the XTR foam is ok. I wish it was more heat stable. Tim said he had issues with bad cuts (bad enough that two had to be thrown in the trash). I had two unacceptable borts from them with just embarrassingly bad finish work. Jon Pyzel stepped in made things right on XTR’s bad. I don’t know how long ago Tim’s experience was and if he’d be open to revisit using their build.

Reactions: JDJ
Jul 15, 2008
I tried to order my Bom Dia step-up in Varial last January, and Matt told me they did not have blanks available. It was expected that those blanks would be available in April or May. Although it sounded weird, I did not expect them to go out of business.

I think that this is bad news for everyone. This leaves us with EPS, PU, and XTR blank options. Good for DA with their new PU Kevlar construction, I think.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I tried to order my Bom Dia step-up in Varial last January, and Matt told me they did not have blanks available. It was expected that those blanks would be available in April or May. Although it sounded weird, I did not expect them to go out of business.

I think that this is bad news for everyone. This leaves us with EPS, PU, and XTR blank options. Good for DA with their new PU Kevlar construction, I think.
that makes me feel a bit better actually because it sounds like I wouldn't have been able to get my bomdia step up even if i'd ordered it right when I got back from my trip in Feb.

Jul 15, 2008
that makes me feel a bit better actually because it sounds like I wouldn't have been able to get my bomdia step up even if i'd ordered it right when I got back from my trip in Feb.
It seems the problems started back in December last year, so in Feb 100% you could not get a step up from Varial.

I decided to do mine in PU with DA. I have not tested it, but it feels heavier than EPS (in a good way) and solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008

This is awful news. Varial blanks were amazing. Seriously. Have 3 boards of theirs and am keeping at least 2 (the CI PodMod twins). Need to try number 3!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Same with XTR. I said it was a sh|t show from my experience with them and Tim said “yeah, shitshow!”, but didn’t elaborate.
Blasphemy!

Boards with two totally different rails are totally normal.

Nothing better than a soft, rounded edge from the front fins through the tail. - an XTR classic, added as a surprise gift to you, compliments of the house.