Carissa & WSL...DONE?

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
All well and good, but professional surfing is not going to rise from those ashes. It'll just be gone.
Nah professional surfing as a whole will stick around. Australia alone will keep it going. In the US it will just look a lot different. The only market for it are people who surf, that's it really. There is no market for it outside of that, no Iowa clicks on WSL contests lol. But that market isn't going anywhere...there are a lot more people who surf now than ever and most of em will watch a contest. The numbers aren't big but they are steady... it's just never going to be UFC. More like professional fishing maybe.

Reactions: youcantbeserious

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
More like professional fishing maybe.
I guarantee that professional bass fishing draws more eyes in the Midwest than surfing does worldwide. Sportfishing in the US alone is a 50 billion dollar a year industry. Surfing is maybe 10% of that worldwide?

economics of sportfishing in the US
economics of surfing worldwide

I think youcantbeserious is right tbh. Surfing isn't cool anymore, I see way more old guys in the lineup than groms around here. For kids it's probably an easy equation, if hanging out with a bunch of fat old guys on 10ft boards isn't fun they're not gonna do it. Better to go snowboard or skate where you don't have to compete with people.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Steph or Carissa winning more world titles is one thing.

The other girls having to defeat the 2 most dominant and unquestionably best surfers of their (sequential, simultaneous, I haven't decided) generations is an important narrative. There is a level of legitimacy that is missing (a la the Kelly hiatus) with their absence.

Tyler Wright is there, but none of her wins ever struck me as "dominant".
I think it's a product of the fact that her surfing is, frankly, not as good, inspiring, or pleasant to watch as Steph or Carissa.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil

The other girls having to defeat the 2 most dominant and unquestionably best surfers of their (sequential, simultaneous, I haven't decided) generations is an important narrative. There is a level of legitimacy that is missing (a la the Kelly hiatus) with their absence.

I think it's a product of the fact that her surfing is, frankly, not as good, inspiring, or pleasant to watch as Steph or Carissa.
Tyler should make a career move... maybe be hired by Rip Curl to sell men's boardshorts.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I guarantee that professional bass fishing draws more eyes in the Midwest than surfing does worldwide. Sportfishing in the US alone is a 50 billion dollar a year industry. Surfing is maybe 10% of that worldwide?

economics of sportfishing in the US
economics of surfing worldwide

I think youcantbeserious is right tbh. Surfing isn't cool anymore, I see way more old guys in the lineup than groms around here. For kids it's probably an easy equation, if hanging out with a bunch of fat old guys on 10ft boards isn't fun they're not gonna do it. Better to go snowboard or skate where you don't have to compete with people.
sorry - picked the wrong 'sport' obviously. Shows how little I know about professional fishing..how about Professional Ultimate Frisbee - that seems like a fair comparison.

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858
Oct 30, 2019
professional ultimate frisbee players get paid something like $50 per game. 163K subscribers on YouTube. WSL has 984k subscribers. ...t I much prefer watching professional ultimate these days. probably greater future potential.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
... But that market isn't going anywhere...there are a lot more people who surf now than ever and most of em will watch a contest. The numbers aren't big but they are steady... it's just never going to be UFC. More like professional fishing maybe.
I don’t know about the first part. Yes, there’s more surfers in the lineup now, but I don’t think the most recent pandemic/ WFH wave of new surfers will watch a contest. They didn’t grow up with pro surfing (Curren vs. Occy, Kelly vs. AI), which I think is why some of you still care as old farts. Personally I don’t care about contests and probably lost interest after Andy died. I’ve maybe caught a few jjf heats over the past couple years, and couldn’t name most of the recent tour additions. i would say about half of guys I know that surf also don’t care about pro surfing, and these are lifelong surfers, 27-50 y.o. We follow enough surfing on social media to know if Slater won pipe at 50 or watch clips from the last big CA swell, but more likely to watch Nate charge Irish slabs than know who made the mid-year cut. YMMV
Many of us have noted less groms and younger surfers in the lineups these days. Really, those are the surfers that would grow the audience for pro contests and it seems to be trending the other direction, at least anecdotally.

Reactions: stringcheese

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Steph has barely squeaked past the cut the last two years. she won a title coming from the fifth place seed. She’s not taking leave because she dislikes the current structure.

Carisser is still highly competitive but she’s ready to move on. She’s getting older and wants a family. it happens.

People are reading way too much into it.

Reactions: MrTips

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I don’t know about the first part. Yes, there’s more surfers in the lineup now, but I don’t think the most recent pandemic/ WFH wave of new surfers will watch a contest. They didn’t grow up with pro surfing (Curren vs. Occy, Kelly vs. AI), which I think is why some of you still care as old farts. Personally I don’t care about contests and probably lost interest after Andy died. I’ve maybe caught a few jjf heats over the past couple years, and couldn’t name most of the recent tour additions. i would say about half of guys I know that surf also don’t care about pro surfing, and these are lifelong surfers, 27-50 y.o. We follow enough surfing on social media to know if Slater won pipe at 50 or watch clips from the last big CA swell, but more likely to watch Nate charge Irish slabs than know who made the mid-year cut. YMMV
Many of us have noted less groms and younger surfers in the lineups these days. Really, those are the surfers that would grow the audience for pro contests and it seems to be trending the other direction, at least anecdotally.
Where are you surfing that you see fewer groms? If there’s any difference in crowds it’s because adult learners have increased not because grom numbers have decreased. The push-in craze, particularly with the girls, is real.

Interestingly, I’ve got a few kids in HS in North County SD. Surf PE is thriving but they’re going to cancel skate PE next year unless enrollment increases. Anecdotal but still informative.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
He surfs mid day usually so I can possibly see where he's coming from. If anything I agree and see more groms these days trying to get a sesh before school.

Oh and fvck surf PE, with an aids infested cactus

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Steph has barely squeaked past the cut the last two years. she won a title coming from the fifth place seed. She’s not taking leave because she dislikes the current structure.

Carisser is still highly competitive but she’s ready to move on. She’s getting older and wants a family. it happens.

People are reading way too much into it.
From a viewer standpoint, I think the tour is better with Carissa and Steph. Even at their respective points of their careers.

I don't feel I'm reading into much. It's a loss to the tour. They are the top two female draws, and after their departure, there is exactly 1 surfer with a world title left on tour*. It's a downgrade no matter how you try to frame it.

Name a surfer that any of the women on tour would rather beat. Moanna at Pipe. Maybe Vahine in Tahiti. But that's where it ends and those girls aren't even on tour. Without Steph and Carissa, the draw feels like Groundhog Day at the Supergirl Pro.

Or I'm just showing my age.

Does this equate to the demise of the tour? No. It's an unfortunate confluence of events when the Tour seems particularly vulnerable, for sure. But it will continue. I think there is still enough steam for it to chug along on the strength of crowning world champs. But it's going to be a few years before the women's tour really starts to feel robust without the twin tower vacuum that those 11 titles used to fill.

edit: I honestly forgot that Caroline won last year.

Lay off the pipe, son.
Ye i suggest tell me what to do again and I will put you in the closet im good 1 year and 7 months sober on Feb 8th... but we can pick up on this later...Screenshot_20231212_202216_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20231212_202234_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20231212_202341_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20231212_202346_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20231212_202225_YouTube.jpgScreenshot_20231212_202229_YouTube.jpg
How ya like me now? You get a raise you get a raise you get a raise tell me and the others say not when to stop... i need another code like Q que or checkers ... man I'm playin 4 5 & 6 D chess mi nikka mickey mouse

Screenshot_20240126_154904_Messenger.jpg

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Can we get this thread back on track? It's about Carissa being done with the WSL and what's next for her. Can anyone else get behind her and her sister doing what we've been suggesting the Florence brothers do and create some kind of stab, I mean slab tour and document it all?

Screenshot_2024-01-26 Cayla Moore ( caylakmoore) • Instagram photos and videos.png

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
From a viewer standpoint, I think the tour is better with Carissa and Steph. Even at their respective points of their careers.

I don't feel I'm reading into much. It's a loss to the tour. They are the top two female draws, and after their departure, there is exactly 1 surfer with a world title left on tour*. It's a downgrade no matter how you try to frame it.

Name a surfer that any of the women on tour would rather beat. Moanna at Pipe. Maybe Vahine in Tahiti. But that's where it ends and those girls aren't even on tour. Without Steph and Carissa, the draw feels like Groundhog Day at the Supergirl Pro.

Or I'm just showing my age.

Does this equate to the demise of the tour? No. It's an unfortunate confluence of events when the Tour seems particularly vulnerable, for sure. But it will continue. I think there is still enough steam for it to chug along on the strength of crowning world champs. But it's going to be a few years before the women's tour really starts to feel robust without the twin tower vacuum that those 11 titles used to fill.

edit: I honestly forgot that Caroline won last year.
There are 2 world title holders still on tour.

Sally is back for the old timers too.

And Steph is just taking a year off. She’ll be back. But again, she’s won just 3 events in the last 3 years. Caity won 2 last year as a rooky. I will grant that Steph’s win at lowers was probably the best win of the last several years, but you get the point.

Caity, Molly and everyone‘s least favorite Caroline are all hugely popular with the younger crowd. Carissa will be missed for sure, but so were Lisa Anderson and Layne. There’s always a next in line.

And really, if you‘re not sensing the talent change on the women’s side you’re not paying attention. Sierra will make the tour next year and Erin brooks probably the year after. At that point, your top 5 will all be in their teens to early 20’s. It’s not going to take more than that to forget about the old guard except among the old guard fans.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
There are 2 world title holders still on tour.

Sally is back for the old timers too.

And Steph is just taking a year off. She’ll be back. But again, she’s won just 3 events in the last 3 years. Caity won 2 last year as a rooky. I will grant that Steph’s win at lowers was probably the best win of the last several years, but you get the point.

Caity, Molly and everyone‘s least favorite Caroline are all hugely popular with the younger crowd. Carissa will be missed for sure, but so were Lisa Anderson and Layne. There’s always a next in line.

And really, if you‘re not sensing the talent change on the women’s side you’re not paying attention. Sierra will make the tour next year and Erin brooks probably the year after. At that point, your top 5 will all be in their teens to early 20’s. It’s not going to take more than that to forget about the old guard except among the old guard fans.
1) Yes. Tyler and Caroline. I forgot the latter.
2) Yes, on a long enough timeline, of course I agree with you. AND, right now, I'll take Carissa and Steph over 90% of the rest of the surfers on the women's tour. And I can't find a compelling argument against yet.