Gasoline Gasoline!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The above is conditioned on me charging only between midnight and 6 am, which I do.
Do you have a timer on your charging system that starts charging automatically after midnight or do you have to physically start it yourself at the time you want it to strart?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Do you have a timer on your charging system that starts charging automatically after midnight or do you have to physically start it yourself at the time you want it to strart?
Yes, I have my charger set for midnight to 6.

It’d be highly inconvenient if I had to go start it at midnight!

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Wrong. Again. You wanted a cheap battery that’s not lithium.

Now you want a Ferrari for the price of Corolla.

You will never be satisfied because admitting that you're wrong hurts.

From your link:
-----------------------------------------------
"There is one catch to this wonder battery," noted Johnson. "Sodium metal is about three times heavier than lithium, and that adds considerably to the battery weight." The additional weight also translates into a shorter driving range.

To date, this shortcoming has hindered sodium-ion batteries from making inroads into the electric vehicle market. Compared with other sodium-ion technology, however, the team's cathode has much higher energy density, enough to power electric vehicles for a driving range of about 180-200 miles on a single charge.

Johnson emphasized that while the sodium-ion battery might not appeal to those seeking long driving ranges, it could attract budget-conscious consumers, particularly urban dwellers whose daily driving rarely exceeds this distance.
----------------------------------------------
To make a full size auto or SUV having longer range with these sodium-ion batteries, the tech is farther out, and more expensive.

It's why their only focusing now on the VERY small budget commuter car in China at this point.

Promising start, but a long ways to go in the labs, where most of the newer battery technology is still trying to get out of.

Toyota has dozens of patents on solid-state battery tech, and had promised EV's with them on the market by now, and a few years back. But due to manufacturing issues/realities and other setbacks in cost and production, they've pushed releases out to late 2020's if not early 2030's at best. And that's a big if, when trusting previous promises.

You would think Toyota knows something about EV's after having the most famous hybrids for years.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
technology will never improve. demand will never motivate innovation. we should keep doing the same thing forever.

let the chickenfkrs keep fkng their chickens!
Battery and EV's will continue to improve immensely.

But much of the hyped new battery material discoveries are still in the lab phases and years if not well into next decade away from actual consumer vehicle realities (in USA at least).

Hype does not mean this year, next year or even by end of this decade. It's hype to get market investment.

I'll be waiting for it, patiently. As scientist claims don't always mean product is next year or 2.

Last edited:
  • Haha

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Battery and EV's will continue to improve immensely.

But much of the hyped new battery material discoveries are still in the lab phases and years if not well into next decade away from actual consumer vehicle realities (in USA at least).

Hype does not mean this year, next year or even by end of this decade. It's hype to get market investment.

I'll be waiting for it, patiently. As scientist claims don't always mean product is next year or 2.
$100 bucks says that by 2030 Li-ion batteries have been surpassed by another technology that is either as good at a lower price point, or better at the same price point.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
$100 bucks says that by 2030 Li-ion batteries have been surpassed by another technology that is either as good at a lower price point, or better at the same price point.
Will you be able to swap out the old batteries for the new ones?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Solid state batteries are already available in cars and generators.

There will be more coming out in 2025. But no.

TLDR

View attachment 170525
Toyota has already backtracked on those claims more recently, saying 2030 is more likely the earliest at best for wide-scale solid state battery EV's on the market. May take longer, but they've already pushed out dates multiple times the last couple years since this solid-state version came out of the labs.

Other lithium-ion battery tech is coming out sooner, but true solid state batteries are still a ways off.

Going from labs to production is proving to be more challenging/costly than anticipated.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
The whole "next big thing" in EV battery tech is still very unsettled. So many combinations of materials/elements being played with to get the magic formula of performance, endurance, efficiency, safety and most important, cost, nailed down to something that can be manufactured optimally for all. That's the real challenge most are finding at this point in time.

It will get there, someday. But we may not have even discovered the optimal mixture of materials/compounds to settle on yet.

• Haha

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Toyota has already backtracked on those claims more recently, saying 2030 is more likely the earliest at best for wide-scale solid state battery EV's on the market. May take longer, but they've already pushed out dates multiple times the last couple years since this solid-state version came out of the labs.

Other lithium-ion battery tech is coming out sooner, but true solid state batteries are still a ways off.

Going from labs to production is proving to be more challenging/costly than anticipated.
Toyota is not the only manufacturer.
They're big and move slowly.

Solid-state batteries are already on the market.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Toyota is not the only manufacturer.
They're big and move slowly.

Solid-state batteries are already on the market.
As I said earlier, solid state batteries are far from "new". They've been used in electronic for decades in much smaller scale.

Making them big enough to power a normal size vehicle (not Chinese glorified golf cart) and have the range, short time charging and longer lasting cycle life is the challenge.

Someday, in the USA, but not this year, or next. If we see them in real, normal sedan/SUV size autos by 2030, I'll be impressed. Hell, if they're actually half-way affordable, I might buy one. I can wait. The world will survive until I do.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
As I said earlier, solid state batteries are far from "new". They've been used in electronic for decades in much smaller scale.

Making them big enough to power a normal size vehicle (not Chinese glorified golf cart) and have the range, short time charging and longer lasting cycle life is the challenge.

Someday, in the USA, but not this year, or next. If we see them in real, normal sedan/SUV size autos by 2030, I'll be impressed. Hell, if they're actually half-way affordable, I might buy one. I can wait. The world will survive until I do.
It's already been done. 650 mile range proven.

"Glorified golf cart" lolo

1705234514261.jpeg

Reactions: need 4 speed

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Seems even the EU is getting suspicious of massive CCP state subsidy involvement in BYD and other Chinese EV's manufacturers severely undercutting EU and USA EV makers.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/eu-investigators-inspect-chinas-byd-geely-saic-ev-probe-source-2024-01-12/

China is doing everything possible to corner the markets on everything battery powered.

Since both EU and USA are MANDATING that we all drive EV's in the not so distant future, CCP will have cornered the market by the time we all have no other choice BUT to buy an EV as our next new car.

How can capitalism compete with heavy government subsidized Chinese companies in this arena.

They can't.

Will EU and USA federal governments have jump in and heavily subsidize also to have any chance at competing?

Ya, it's not corruption if its to "save the planet".:shrug:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
"Decades"

You always wiggle out.
You said that model is already out there and available?

Only sodium-ion EV's I'm seeing out there "soon" are the little glorified golf carts for ridiculously low price of $11k in EU markets.

CCP subsidies make that possible. Go Communism!!

Not sure they're even available in the USA, due to tariff restrictions.