Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
nice man. thank you. and which one do you like better? can you feel the difference in how they ride?

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Just grabbed a new flare. Rode it today with AM2s and it felt very tracky. What fins do you recommend for a thruster setup on the flare?
The fins you'll like best are the one's where you put your back foot all the way back on the tail :trout:

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I’m gonna order a 3 pack of boards because I owe it to Tim based on how well the Flare works.

For sure getting a 6’1 HPSB and a 6’0 daily driver to complement the 5’10 Flare.

Question is whether a Banjo Fish or FX should fill the grovelor role. I am a backfooted thruster guy that wants to do turns even when groveling. Have had a number of boards similar to the FX (puddle jumper, bottom feeder). Never had a proper fish. This board would be for 1-3 ft full groveling at beach break. My inclination is for the FX but feel I’m missing out not going for one of his most popular shapes. Any thoughts?

Reactions: JDJ

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Don’t get the banjo to grovel. It’s a medium wave playful board. I like to grovel on the flare more. I ordered both at the same time and DD’d both for a spring/summer/fall one year. Still have both.

Never had a fx.

flare 5’9x20x2.32 @ 29.5L
banjo 5’6x20.5x2.32 @ 30.5L

im 6’1 @165

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I’ve had an Fx. It’s a great board. highly underrated. Very skatey with the wide tail. I think it’s a quantum fish with some tweaks. It’s not a full on grovellor though. But probably grovels better than the Banjo.

If you’ve never had a fish before and want the twin keel goodness, I would go Banjo. If you want an Uber grovellor, I would go WTF or maybe see what Tim recommends.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Lowqi2

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I’m gonna order a 3 pack of boards because I owe it to Tim based on how well the Flare works.

For sure getting a 6’1 HPSB and a 6’0 daily driver to complement the 5’10 Flare.

Question is whether a Banjo Fish or FX should fill the grovelor role. I am a backfooted thruster guy that wants to do turns even when groveling. Have had a number of boards similar to the FX (puddle jumper, bottom feeder). Never had a proper fish. This board would be for 1-3 ft full groveling at beach break. My inclination is for the FX but feel I’m missing out not going for one of his most popular shapes. Any thoughts?
Maybe Fuse or WTF?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
who's owned. blindspot?

thinking of that as my next step up from my flare.
SBD: I have one. Mine is sort of a tweaner size. It’s 6’1, 19 3/4, 2 9/16 with a squash tail. I don’t ride it a ton becuause it needs a decent wave to shine but it’s a bit too short to surf around here when there are waves. I like the board a lot. But I should have ordered it at 6’4 or 6’5 with a round tail and kept the other dims the same.

It’s a good board to transition from a Flare or Gx. I also really like Tim’s rerun step up. Sublime has one, and I rode it yesterday at terrible mar. It’s a bit more full in the nose than the BS.

You’re welcome to ride mine anytime. I can drive south for a surf.

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Whoa those are about the dims I was thinking of. Weird though since you’re typically a touch lower in volume than me. I would love to take you up on that.

Reactions: JDJ

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I didnt click with my blindspot. Im probably the only one. I think I undersized it.

WTF is the uber groveler. Ive had 2. Super fun but i outgrew them.

My banjo was eps and I thought it groveled pretty well for a fish but yeah not a full on grovel board like a puddle jumper or whatever

FX seems like the closest thing to the PJ type board for a thruster guy who wants to rip.

I think im gonna do stamps varial order some time this coming year. I want a banana fish and a long non-step-up thruster like 6-8 to 7-0 and then maybe something else.