Who is at fault? Bicyclist or Trucker?

• Bicyclist is at fault.

• Trucker is at fault.

Results are only viewable after voting.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Bicycles are to be ridden in the road - not on the sidewalk - for this exact reason.

Bicyclist is at fault.

If you ride your bike on the sidewalk, take notice. Very common for bicyclist to be hit when coming from behind a wall or hedge - in this case the guy just couldn't be seen. Had he been riding in the road, going in the direction of traffic, he would have been seen and likely not hit.

City streets even worse - bicycles going full speed from sidewalks into crosswalks - can't see em cause they're going fast and view of them is often blocked by buildings til the last second.

Reactions: mundus and keenfish

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
that’s a brutal blind spot but most people are clueless to it. I had to bring similar sized trucks into NYC regularly with a trailer and was one of the few people willing just because of the obliviousness/stupidity of others.

Reactions: mundus and keenfish

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Human factors engineers will tell you that all drivers in that situation would be looking left, not right, as no traffic would be expected from the right.

I am an avid cyclist and would NEVER ride against the flow of traffic whether on a sidewalk or the road, for exactly this reason.

Cyclist is wrong 100%.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
that’s a brutal blind spot but most people are clueless to it. I had to bring similar sized trucks into NYC regularly with a trailer and was one of the few people willing just because of the obliviousness/stupidity of others.
Worked a little delivering expensive auction house antiques into the ritziest sections of Manhattan, total nightmare!

• Wow
Reactions: Ifallalot

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Sure, the bicyclist is at fault but the truck driver isn't without fault. He would've hit a pedestrian because he didn't look or care? The cyclist was extra stupid because of it being a one way, he should've expected the driver would be even slightly more focused on only the one direction and erred on the side of life with four limbs.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Mods, please move this to the Darwin Award thread.

If someone on a bicycle sees that a tractor is moving in his direction, and he decides to continue on his path rather than braking, putting up his hand to stop the tractor, I believe he would be a strong contender for the award.

Reactions: Driftcoast

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Bicycles are to be ridden in the road - not on the sidewalk - for this exact reason.

Bicyclist is at fault.

If you ride your bike on the sidewalk, take notice. Very common for bicyclist to be hit when coming from behind a wall or hedge - in this case the guy just couldn't be seen. Had he been riding in the road, going in the direction of traffic, he would have been seen and likely not hit.

City streets even worse - bicycles going full speed from sidewalks into crosswalks - can't see em cause they're going fast and view of them is often blocked by buildings til the last second.
The legality of riding a bike on the sidewalk in California is decided by the city. I checked where I live because of kids on e bikes speeding on sidewalks. It’s legal.The next city over it’s legal only for 14 and under. The next city after that and it’s illegal. So it depends. A vehicle entering traffic must always yield to cross traffic. But again this situation depends on the bike ordinance in play. In any case the cyclist is guilty of gross stupidity. I remember in my high school driver training class the teacher’s comment about the pedestrian always having the right of way- you can insist you’re right but end up just as dead as if you were wrong.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I'm going with bicyclist.

@plasticbertrand
Well yes, you're a moron.

The guy is riding his bike at walking speed.
Anybody who was walking on the sidewalk in this situation would get run over.

But because the guy was on a bike and on the sidewalk, you guys are cheering for the trucker.

It's totally not trucker's fault for not paying attention to what's in front his truck on the sidewalk.

Reactions: npsp

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Well yes, you're a moron.

The guy is riding his bike at walking speed.
Anybody who was walking on the sidewalk in this situation would get run over.

But because the guy was on a bike and on the sidewalk, you guys are cheering for the trucker.

It's totally not trucker's fault for not paying attention to what's in front his truck on the sidewalk.
You don’t understand how big the blind spots are on those trucks, I do from experience.

Always make eye contact when crossing.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Worked a little delivering expensive auction house antiques into the ritziest sections of Manhattan, total nightmare!
Years ago I sold a blueprint machine to an architect's office on West 57th street near Central Park. The truck driver who was delivering the machine was stuck in traffic just a few blocks away and he took his eyes off of things for a moment because he wasn't going anywhere. When he wasn't paying attention a guy in a black Miata squeezes part way between him and the car ahead. When traffic moved.....or so he thought.....he basically ran right over the Miata that had squeezed in. That made for a lot more of a traffic jam. :foreheadslap: When the driver called me I walked over and from the cab of that truck it was totally understandable why the driver didn't see the little car that had snuck under.