The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Picked up a 4/3 hooded Colby+. Ordered Friday arrived Saturday. Really nice packaging, with some foam tubes and neoprene pouches to protect the shape and cover the cinches. I appreciated the attention to detail and the fact it didn’t just show up stuffed into a plastic bag like other suits I’ve ordered:
View attachment 167900
Has a nice quality and silky feel both inside and out. I was thinking I’d be a MS based on their size chart, but emailed them my chest (42), waist (33), etc and they rec’d a LS. I’m 5’8” x 180 (dad bod vibes for sure as of late) and the arm and leg length is spot on as is the chest/shoulders/torso. There’s a little bunching around the knees and elbows when bent, but not bad. Hood is just right for my 7 3/8” dome. A buddy just got a MS and he’s 5’7” x 150lbs and said the fit is perfect but arms are a dollop (yes, that’s a @Subway reference) short but not bad.
Wore it mid morning today just to feel it out, even tho it was warmer than I’d wear it for. Got hot and that’s good. Amazing freedom and flex while paddling. Far better than my 3mm Isurus zip free, which I actually think has been aggravating my left shoulder which is the side of the bullshit cinch that I have to tighten constantly to prevent the bullshit flushing it always has. Anywho, didn’t notice any flushing even tho I was on my LB on a small day, but did go under a few white water rollers. Very slight seepage on my left ankle when I hit the water, but acceptable. All in all, much better quality feel and flex than the Buell I ordered earlier this year (but I do like the Buell) and certainly as good as and most likely better than my Isurus. Was a bit over $300 with tax when I used the Stamps code.
I would like an opinion on the fit tho, as it’s a little snug in one spot. What to y’all think?

View attachment 167901
the guinea pig!

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Picked up a 4/3 hooded Colby+. Ordered Friday arrived Saturday. Really nice packaging, with some foam tubes and neoprene pouches to protect the shape and cover the cinches. I appreciated the attention to detail and the fact it didn’t just show up stuffed into a plastic bag like other suits I’ve ordered:
View attachment 167900
Has a nice quality and silky feel both inside and out. I was thinking I’d be a MS based on their size chart, but emailed them my chest (42), waist (33), etc and they rec’d a LS. I’m 5’8” x 180 (dad bod vibes for sure as of late) and the arm and leg length is spot on as is the chest/shoulders/torso. There’s a little bunching around the knees and elbows when bent, but not bad. Hood is just right for my 7 3/8” dome. A buddy just got a MS and he’s 5’7” x 150lbs and said the fit is perfect but arms are a dollop (yes, that’s a @Subway reference) short but not bad.
Wore it mid morning today just to feel it out, even tho it was warmer than I’d wear it for. Got hot and that’s good. Amazing freedom and flex while paddling. Far better than my 3mm Isurus zip free, which I actually think has been aggravating my left shoulder which is the side of the bullshit cinch that I have to tighten constantly to prevent the bullshit flushing it always has. Anywho, didn’t notice any flushing even tho I was on my LB on a small day, but did go under a few white water rollers. Very slight seepage on my left ankle when I hit the water, but acceptable. All in all, much better quality feel and flex than the Buell I ordered earlier this year (but I do like the Buell) and certainly as good as and most likely better than my Isurus. Was a bit over $300 with tax when I used the Stamps code.
I would like an opinion on the fit tho, as it’s a little snug in one spot. What to y’all think?

View attachment 167901
Sorry to see…How did you hurt yourself?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
2 mil full is a great SoCal suit. It feels like cheating. the past couple years, I've been in a 2mil full (Isurus), late Spring through Dec. I'm actually still in my s/s 2mil for sunny morning-afternoon surfs. Wore the l/s full a couple times last week cause people had said the water was dropping and I was toasty with all the paddling. Might consider adding booties soon... before switching to 3mil. LOL

I'm also seeing more feral in the water. Seem like good suits.
Bought an all 2mm Feral and used it last Thursday for some sick point break rippage and it was…..

……a little too hot.

Very comfy.

Size XL.

Reactions: Bman76
Oct 25, 2019
Back to backed my Feral and Drylock over the weekend.

Both 6mm MTs. The Feral fits snugger for sure.

Also for sure, is how much more supple and stretchy it is. Wow, noticeable difference in paddling and general movement.

I think the Drylock is warmer. The Feral will be a great suit for the beaches and more active surfs, and the Xcel for longer period/sitting around sessions.

Reactions: Havoc

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Back to backed my Feral and Drylock over the weekend.

Both 6mm MTs. The Feral fits snugger for sure.

Also for sure, is how much more supple and stretchy it is. Wow, noticeable difference in paddling and general movement.

I think the Drylock is warmer. The Feral will be a great suit for the beaches and more active surfs, and the Xcel for longer period/sitting around sessions.
Where are you that you need a 6mm suit right now?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
It's December, I'm surfing before sunrise most mornings, and the 2mm no zip hyperfreak is still kicking ass. 4/3s gathering trunk dust. It is a warm year, though.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
polar bear. I ditched that a month ago
Forgot to hang up my 2mil so I wore 3 mil yesterday mid morning and was roasting. Back to 2mil for me. Of course, I don’t get to surf early so air has warmed up a bit for me. It’s also been sunnier the last few weeks than it was in June-July-August

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Yolo'd a Matuse Scipio 3m suit with black friday discount

We'll see how it goes

:shaka:
Early impressions of this suit are quite good

Pros:
- Full 3mm is best socal winter suit thickness IMO.
- Super light weight, especially when wet. Is that the benefit of yam rubber? idk
- Long torso approved, no ball squeezage. Prob best fit for guys on the taller, thinner side which works well for me.
- Internal smoothskin stuff feels like it works to keep me warm

Cons:
- Maybe the most difficult wetsuit I've ever tried to get in and out of. Not for the bros who struggle with small entries.
- No smoothskin, not filthy house approved

Assuming it proves to be durable, I'll def consider another Matuse.

Reactions: oeste858

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
NY'er - have been happy with needs suits through the winter..gonna buy a new one this year, probably just get another 5/4. That said Im gonna try out a new colby hooded 4/3 when they arrive and be the guinea pig.
Did you end up with a Colby? You like it? Anyone else have experience w their newer suits?