Can we talk about extra virgin olive oil?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Olive oil always unless searing fish. Then it’s avo oil

While not disagreeing with your choice of oil, can recommend sesame oil now and again for pan seared fish....maybe go half avocado oil half sesame (due to cost of sesame oil)?

California olive oil has greater chance of being what the label says it is than the stuff from Europe
Based on what I've read, will agree. One article of many here (click me).

Reactions: npsp

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Big world out there with a lot of different foods. I love Italian food but it's not end all be all....
Not to be snobby but I’m always intrigued by how American Italian food got to where it is, because it’s nothing like Italian food. (Some pizza joints being an exception).

Going to a 5 star review rated American Italian restaurants when traveling in the US is always such disappointment.

Also, what’s up with Indian and Greek food being rubbish on the left coast and Mexican sucking on the right coast? (people don’t know any better?)

I don’t deep fry and use olive oil almost exclusively, apart from an occasional avocado oil stint.

I will leave you with this photo I took in the Italian boonies (Puglia). I bet their burger is as bad as our Italian food.

1702020500287.jpeg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Also, what’s up with Indian and Greek food being rubbish on the left coast and Mexican sucking on the right coast? (people don’t know any better?)
Basically. That combined with not having the immigrant base that knows how to do it right and set the standard. Lots of Greeks on the east coast, not so much on the west. Opposite with Mexicans.

Midwest and east coast Mexican is largely based off of Taco Bell and ChiChis (Mexican cantina chain, not sure if it’s still around?). If you think a burrito is supposed to have melted cheese, shredded lettuce and sliced canned black olives on top then that’s what a burrito is to you.

You don’t know what you don’t know . . . .

1702047870817.jpeg

:toilet:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Thought I read something somewhere about California EVOO being best shot at authenticity.

Am sure Google knows better than my memory though..
A roommate of mine 10+ years ago worked for a bourgeois grocery store and loved it. He said that this logo is the mark of authenticity. Outside of that, there are a lot of CA oils that have been diluted and mixed.

1702060718333.png