***Official Car Talk Thread***

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Did I mention that I saw one the Tesla trucks on the road a few months back?

Good lord it's ugly. But I get why some people would be into it.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That mud looks slick af so next to no traction plus what also looks like an off camber turn along with the teams having prepped for drier conditions? bc it is odd that car after car comes in to that turn too hot. I can see the first car not making it then a bunch navigating the bend successfully then another crash etc but everybody fucking up at the same point in the course is weird especially considering how much foreknowledge is involved

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: hammies

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I don't pay attention to cars of the year. But, having seen the new Prius in person, I think it's a completely different car than the previous versions.

Toyota's prime version makes so much sense if you only have one car: for an average commute, you don't have to use any gas, yet you can still take long road trips w/o any hassle. I test drove the RAV4 prime, and at the time, it was Toyota's most powerful motor. Full 5/7. If they make a prime version of the new Tacoma, I'd sell our gen 3 and would bang. Toyota teased an electric Tacoma, but for road tripping, it would suck.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I don't pay attention to cars of the year. But, having seen the new Prius in person, I think it's a completely different car than the previous versions.

Toyota's prime version makes so much sense if you only have one car: for an average commute, you don't have to use any gas, yet you can still take long road trips w/o any hassle. I test drove the RAV4 prime, and at the time, it was Toyota's most powerful motor. Full 5/7. If they make a prime version of the new Tacoma, I'd sell our gen 3 and would bang. Toyota teased an electric Tacoma, but for road tripping, it would suck.
We bought a Prius in 2011 and while it sucks for some things- kills my back on long road trips, acceleration is almost non existant (although it feels like a rocket compared to my Vanagon)- we couldn't be happier for other things. #1, obviously gas mileage. We routinely get over 50mpg on road trips ( we just got new tires and our mpg dropped, then I realized I had been over inflating the tires- I would inflate to just under the tire's max pressure, not the car's recommended pressure on the door panel, I might start doing that again). Also, knock on woodjoints, no mechanical issues whatsoever, just routine things- oil, filters, tires, batteries.

The new one does look way better and gets even better mpg and is a little faster. It's not fast...but 0-60 time is faster than my childhood dream car the Porsche 911S.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I asked my wife to get some gas for our Whaler this a.m.. She drove her Model 3 and said she got funny looks when she pulled up to the pump. Then she popped her frunk, got the gas can out, and people realized it. The only time I go to the gas station now is when we're on a trip w/ the truck or we're taking the boat out. It's nice being able to "fill up" at home.

I love my electric Mini Cooper, but for my next commuter car I want a Cayman S. If I win the lotto, I would get the electric version when it comes out.

Reactions: One-Off

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I asked my wife to get some gas for our Whaler this a.m.. She drove her Model 3 and said she got funny looks when she pulled up to the pump. Then she popped her frunk, got the gas can out, and people realized it. The only time I go to the gas station now is when we're on a trip w/ the truck or we're taking the boat out. It's nice being able to "fill up" at home.

I love my electric Mini Cooper, but for my next commuter car I want a Cayman S. If I win the lotto, I would get the electric version when it comes out.
We have a this: Mercedes B250e. My wife said a couple of days ago - I haven't pumped gas in 3 years.
1701032932461.png

But I also just bought this.
And Coupella DeVille ain't electric.
http://instagr.am/p/Czr6VFCrYvE/

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
We’ve owned two Prius’s over the years. Gave them to our adult ‘kids’ who still benefit of the fuel savings. Bought my wife a Tesla Model Y ‘Performance.’ Not because of the climate b.s. that seems to be the political football of the day but, because that co<ksucker Newsome keeps adding taxes to the California pumps. Despite the cost of gas, I still drive a 2015 XKR-S on the occasional weekend cruise. Fill it up once a month or so. ~8,000 miles or thereabout. IMG_0807.jpeg

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
No interest in electric vehicles because there are no charging stations in the wilderness or the smaller coastal and mountain towns around here. Range anxiety would drive me nuts.

I am considering replacing our Subaru Outback with the 2024 Toyota Landcruiser, which is a hybrid. Not in a rush though - the Outback is awesome.

1701232032427.png

Reactions: ghostshaper