The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Any updates on Crooked Wetsuits? I noticed this exchange program on their site, seems like a decent offer:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Any updates on Crooked Wetsuits? I noticed this exchange program on their site, seems like a decent offer:
Picked up a hooded 4/3, non smooth skin. Seems like a well made suit with quality materials, not as warm as expected although this might be a personal tolerance thing.

Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
El Niño is warmer than average water in the equatorial pacific and no direct effect on the water temp in Oceanside.

That being said, anyone ever use an all 2mil fullsuit? I wore a 3/2 the other day and roasted my ass off.

Wore a spring suit down in La Jolla last week, got a little chilled as the sun set.
2 mil full is a great SoCal suit. It feels like cheating. the past couple years, I've been in a 2mil full (Isurus), late Spring through Dec. I'm actually still in my s/s 2mil for sunny morning-afternoon surfs. Wore the l/s full a couple times last week cause people had said the water was dropping and I was toasty with all the paddling. Might consider adding booties soon... before switching to 3mil. LOL

I'm also seeing more feral in the water. Seem like good suits.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
2 mil full is a great SoCal suit. It feels like cheating. the past couple years, I've been in a 2mil full (Isurus), late Spring through Dec. I'm actually still in my s/s 2mil for sunny morning-afternoon surfs. Wore the l/s full a couple times last week cause people had said the water was dropping and I was toasty with all the paddling. Might consider adding booties soon... before switching to 3mil. LOL

I'm also seeing more feral in the water. Seem like good suits.
You may run a little warm too. I remember that day we surfed in 2mils when the water turned and I was cold and you were fine if I recall.

But I have to say I am pretty jealous of gentlemen's hour surfs. I oftern forget how much warmer it is

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
You may run a little warm too. I remember that day we surfed in 2mils when the water turned and I was cold and you were fine if I recall.

But I have to say I am pretty jealous of gentlemen's hour surfs. I oftern forget how much warmer it is
No, I’m a pussy with cold water. That’s why I’ve been so impressed with these 2mil suits.
I was wearing Isurus and you were not. LOL. Technoblatter?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
El Niño is warmer than average water in the equatorial pacific and no direct effect on the water temp in Oceanside.

That being said, anyone ever use an all 2mil fullsuit? I wore a 3/2 the other day and roasted my ass off.

Wore a spring suit down in La Jolla last week, got a little chilled as the sun set.
San Diego is actually only about 2,200 miles from the South American Equator. I'm no oceanographer, but I'd bet money that is enough distance to have an effect on Oceanside water temps.

1700595162839.png

That being said, you'd be fine in a 3/2 in Oceanside for most of the year apart from the offshore winds. The winds funnel through the canyon and as a result Oside has some of the strongest offshore winds in all of the County.

• Wow
Reactions: oeste858

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
San Diego is actually only about 2,200 miles from the South American Equator. I'm no oceanographer, but I'd bet money that is enough distance to have an effect on Oceanside water temps.

View attachment 167160

That being said, you'd be fine in a 3/2 in Oceanside for most of the year apart from the offshore winds. The winds funnel through the canyon and as a result Oside has some of the strongest offshore winds in all of the County.
how's the Buell XS nut hugger suit going for ya @ReForest ?

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
how's the Buell XS nut hugger suit going for ya @ReForest ?
Pretty good. Wore it the past 3 days in a row.
The CONS are the arms pits are a little loose (not exactly sure why) so i got a little arm pit red rub going on. Also, the neck is like a turtle neck and got bunched up in the back and caused some rubbing on the right side of my neck.

The PROS are that it was $60.00 bucks. Its a full 3mm but feels thinner (like a 2mm) and its stretchy. We'll see how long it lasts.