The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Ah makes sense. Maybe they ditched the mock t-neck after 2021.
Edit: We’ll all chip in and give you $50 if you only wear this suit that lets in water at the neck all winter. LOL. That will wake you up on those dawn patrol mornings!
no amount of money is worth freezing! lol. Besides... it looks like an el nino winter which I think means that the water temps aren't going to get very low. The water is surprisingly still pretty warm in Oside.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
does this rip curl e6 pink stuff feel like it holds in a ton of water weight?
when i am hanging up my suit it feels heavier than a 3/2 full should

Reactions: Hdip

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
does this rip curl e6 pink stuff feel like it holds in a ton of water weight?
when i am hanging up my suit it feels heavier than a 3/2 full should
Sure, it holds onto water when you're soaking it with a hose.

What about after you get out and before you rinse it off? Is it really that heavy?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
no amount of money is worth freezing! lol. Besides... it looks like an el nino winter which I think means that the water temps aren't going to get very low. The water is surprisingly still pretty warm in Oside.
El Niño is warmer than average water in the equatorial pacific and no direct effect on the water temp in Oceanside.

That being said, anyone ever use an all 2mil fullsuit? I wore a 3/2 the other day and roasted my ass off.

Wore a spring suit down in La Jolla last week, got a little chilled as the sun set.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I was at the shop to get ne wetsuit boots. While there I got to inspect the C-Skins suit I'm going to buy also. It has smooth skin on the stomach, but it's spray on instead of a separate panel. Crazy how long it took before someone figured that out.

Turtle71

Nep status
Jan 19, 2010
NE FL
El Niño is warmer than average water in the equatorial pacific and no direct effect on the water temp in Oceanside.

That being said, anyone ever use an all 2mil fullsuit? I wore a 3/2 the other day and roasted my ass off.

Wore a spring suit down in La Jolla last week, got a little chilled as the sun set.
I've got a 2mil Oneill Hyperfreak full suit. I remember thinking it felt as warm as some of my previous 3/2 suits.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

Love my 2mm fullsuit.

Turtle71

Nep status
Jan 19, 2010
NE FL
I’m 6’2 - 215 and wear LT in both feral and O’Neil…and Isurus.
I'm Surprised you fit in a LT Oneill. The upper end of the weight range is 200. I'm 6'2 205 and the LT felt on the tight side. Currently wearing an XL. Feels great in the shoulders but a little loose in the waist.
LT6'2" - 6'4"180 - 20041 - 43" 1/233 - 35"

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That being said, anyone ever use an all 2mil fullsuit?
Yes, a few xcels and once had an extremely good Hurley 202 Phantom. Really expensive but was basically dry or near dry inside for almost two years and very flexy, with smoothskin.

The xcels were/are comp with no smoothskin and less bombproof tape/glue but noticeably warmer than 2mm shortsleeve and noticeably flexier than 3/2 infiniti or drylock.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
anyone have a rip curl dawn patrol? I know it's not high end but just looking for a ss full.

Had the chestzip version a few years back. Not a bad suit for the price. I trimmed off the rubber strip on the bottom of the sleeves. Felt too tight on my arms. Been wearing the Hyperfreak ss ever since.

Reactions: EastCoastBrah

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
2mm full is great for warm ish water cold air, which is San Diego fall‘s dawn and dusk.

i liked it paired with the 4/3 better than a 3/2 for less overlap.

Reactions: jkb and ReForest

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm Surprised you fit in a LT Oneill. The upper end of the weight range is 200. I'm 6'2 205 and the LT felt on the tight side. Currently wearing an XL. Feels great in the shoulders but a little loose in the waist.
LT6'2" - 6'4"180 - 20041 - 43" 1/233 - 35"
Well it O’Neill is a Hyperfreak which is super stretchy.

Maybe if I bought one the models built for the poors it would be more of an issue.

Tried an XL awhile back and there was a huge pocket in the lower back, loose in the waist and the shoulders felt the same as the LT. It has been a couple years since getting an O’Neill so maybe they changed the cut a bit.

Year ago I used to wear rip curls because they had a better cut for me than oneill. Then they changed it to the vegan Patagonia nut hugger cut and I switched. O’Neill have never been perfect for me but always good enough.

Get the super stretchy stuff a little tight and it’ll form to your shape after a couple hours.

Reactions: Turtle71