Alaska Airlines pilot who shut off plane engine mid flight blames post-shroom psychosis...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
attempted suicide?
sounds like a lame excuse to me.
It seems treating depression with mushrooms is all the rage now in pop culture.

A few people here have mentioned wanting to do it.

I can't imagine being in a depressed state and wanting to eat shrooms. Especially since depression and anxiety often go hand in hand.

So spitballing: This guys is depressed, he's heard how great shrooms are for depression, so he gobbles some. Things don't go so well, after the trip is done he spends the next two days awake and anxious possibly in a state of psychosis. The mind has become a prison and torture chamber. So he tries to end it all.

:waving:

Reactions: PRCD

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

I can't imagine being in a depressed state and wanting to eat shrooms. Especially since depression and anxiety often go hand in hand.

So spitballing: This guys is depressed, he's heard how great shrooms are for depression, so he gobbles some. Things don't go so well, after the trip is done he spends the next two days awake and anxious possibly in a state of psychosis. The mind has become a prison and torture chamber. So he tries to end it all.

you cant imagine being depressed and taking something that will make you laugh and giggle and generally be in good spirits for a few hours. hmmm weird - i can.

people using for depression - maybe it helps some people and doesnt others just like all depression medicine.

i use it cuz theyre fun, nothing less , nothing more.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
you cant imagine being depressed and taking something that will make you laugh and giggle and generally be in good spirits for a few hours. hmmm weird - i can.
Usually a depressed, anxious state is not the scenario you want to be taking a psychedelic.

I am talking about actual depression, not simply being unhappy.

Reactions: npsp and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom

Have you ever done shrooms?

Reactions: Boneroni

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017

Newsome vetoed open access to psilocybin in California. Thought it needed more study.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Yeah, a few times a year in my younger days.

I knew to be careful - saw some bad stuff happen to other people.

Why?
Just curious. There’s some interesting papers out there I’m sure you’ve seen on treating depression, PTSD and anxiety with psilocybin but I don’t think self medicating with it is a great idea if that’s what he did.

I never did a “hero” dose but have had plenty of doses that were more akin to a higher micro dose. Made me feel great.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
"24 participants in a low-quality, unblinded, uncontrolled study with no pre-registered endpoints" is not high quality evidence. I should've been more-specific that I meant, "what is the high quality evidence base for fungus."
Newsome vetoed open access to psilocybin in California. Thought it needed more study.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Just curious. There’s some interesting papers out there I’m sure you’ve seen on treating depression, PTSD and anxiety with psilocybin but I don’t think self medicating with it is a great idea if that’s what he did.

I never did a “hero” dose but have had plenty of doses that were more akin to a higher micro dose. Made me feel great.
Great, yeah, for me akin to a light dose of ecstasy with visuals and the hallucination of mind expansion.

That said, I can almost guarantee anytime I saw them done at night, in a group setting, with a mixed level of experience there was almost always someone who went off the rails for some reason.

We had a kid in my dorm that jumped off a nine story balcony and went splat.

A lot of my friends, psychonaut folk, got into making tea with it - plenty of "never again" experiences with that.

I don't know how they're screening for actual depression (honor system?) Interesting a lot of these studies are waitlisted. Hmmmm....

Ever read any studies that had a psychedelic-naive participant group?
Bad trip? How would one be dealt with in the clinical setting? Give em a benzo? I have no idea.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"24 participants in a low-quality, unblinded, uncontrolled study with no pre-registered endpoints" is not high quality evidence. I should've been more-specific that I meant, "what is the high quality evidence base for fungus."
Yeah I chuckled when I saw that too.

The whole study just looks like a flimsy joke.

They put an ad out, brought some people in, asked em what their history of depression is, asked them to score their current depression, gave them some shrooms (was there even a section stating how they were dosed?), then followed up with a very brief questionaire months later.

But that's the one being touted as of late.:roflmao:

Wasn't there also a study that came out recently showing how microdosing psilocybin was nothing but a placebo?

Reactions: PRCD