A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
That's a goal of mine...We have to knock them out once they get on board (see the mini bat, we have since moved up to my unc's wood Louisville slugger from the 70s) - can't imagine in a kayak...here for it though!
Gotta tire big fish out more on the yak than when fishing from my boat, that's for sure! I keep a small club with me. Once I stun them I pull out the knife to brain-and-bleed them.

The cobia I lost was from billowing braid getting tangled on rigging on the deck, not from alongside. But now you have me thinking about the end-game if I happen to tangle with one the size in your photo.

I considered a short-handled flying gaff but besides cobia the only fish I regularly target large enough to warrant it would be stripers, and now that they narrowed the slot (28-31 vs. 28-37.9) and outlawed gaffing stripers doesn't seem worth the hassle of carrying extra gear.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I hear ya, a good knife to the dome may be best (fck the wildlife officers - that sh!t could make you drown). That's not even a big one.....this is my max (maybe 55 lbs), The problem is when they get over 70lbs --- we killed one that was 93 incb and it completely fcked my friends boat up. Can't imagine in a kayak - be safe and carry a couple knives for sure!! :shaka:IMG_3533.JPG

Reactions: hackeysaky and Hump

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Here's a photo of the largest Tyee registered so far this season.
First Tyee this rod-holder has ever caught but not the first for the rower, who is very experienced and well-known.
TyeeSpiers23.jpg

This is also the first Tyee this season taken on a spoon.
It's much more difficult to keep a large fish hooked on a spoon with a single barbless hook than it is to keep one on that took a plug, as most of the set-ups are such that the plug pulls away from the hook so doesn't have the influence on the hook that a spoon does when being pulled around in the water by a large salmon.
Lovely night for a row here tonight.

Take care.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Bit of a smorgasbord yesterday. 4 of us and some perfecting hunting water. Found the herd of sheepshead, put the 3 other guys on them and everyone got one first drift, then it was my turn and dropped right into the middle of the school. Laid on the bottom til they swarmed me.
View attachment KGronostajski_2023-1-2.jpg

Reactions: keenfish

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Bit of a smorgasbord yesterday. 4 of us and some perfecting hunting water. Found the herd of sheepshead, put the 3 other guys on them and everyone got one first drift, then it was my turn and dropped right into the middle of the school. Laid on the bottom til they swarmed me.
View attachment 161259
I'm just impressed that anyone would be confident enough in their ability to visually estimate striper length underwater to take a shot now that the slot is a mere 3 inches.

IMG_6102.JPG

• Love
Reactions: wedge2 and mundus

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
You won't see me shooting bass. But there are guys who can't help it. Some that I know and dive with.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
You won't see me shooting bass. But there are guys who can't help it. Some that I know and dive with.
On dabbled in the sport, but Stripers seemed like the easiest fish to spear. Now blackfish are tricky, especially the bigger ones. They always seem stay behind or under the rock a milisecond longer than you can hold your breath.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
OMG!!!!!

Reactions: keenfish

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Just got back from 10 days in Yakutat
Rained the whole time, although Situk River was low, fishing was off the charts for fresh sea-run Cojo. (we had BIG tides last week)
All nickel bright and still had sea lice attached.
Nothing huge but a respectable 8-12lbs.
Came home with 2 50lb boxes of filets that included some halibut/lings from a couple days on the ocean.
Great trip overall!

Uncrowded AM on the Situk
IMG_1573.jpg
First day hens, spinners were working.
IMG_1560.jpg
Nice buck and hen from the bridge
IMG_1563.jpg
Nice on the Bay this day, that's Wrangle/St Elias mountain range in the background.
The only day it didn't rain.
IMG_1572.jpg

These were the magic bullet. Pink was THE color this week.
I tied about 25 of them for the trip, and, although we didn't lose many, came back with just a few because everyone wanted one, they absolutely killed 'em.
IMG_1587.jpg
The place we stay at has a killer fish/game processing area with commercial-grade vacuum sealers and a 40 below blast freezer.
IMG_1579.jpg

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
On the Sooke river, near where I used to live, much fishing happens when the salmon runs start, not all done by humans.

Here we have a seal stalking a salmon lying quietly in the rocks. You can just make out its silhouette very close to the shore.
SealStalkingRuttan.jpg

Creeping close enough, the seal pounces.
SealPouncingRuttan.jpg
Here it's clear it's got a grip on the salmon.
SealGotchaRuttan.jpg
Here it's tearing some good meat off.
SealTearingSalmonRuttan.jpg

And here it's savouring its catch.
SealSavouringSalmonRuttan.jpg

All photos by Lee-Ann Ruttan, an excellent photographer from Sooke.

Damn seal did better than I did in the Tyee Pool this year. LOL

Take care.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Went fishing today on my buddies badass Parker 25.
Ran about 60+ miles running and gunning and hit all the usual banks and hot spots.
Found some YFT under the ponies but couldn't get them to play.
Then ran off from there and found a killer paddy with no one else in sight but it was empty. Unbelievable! It should have been holding. It was a glorious kelp paddy but no love today.
Shortly after that between the 277 and the Avalon bank found working tern birds and breaking BFT but they were up and down so fast we just couldn't get on top of them.
Fun day out chasing but we came home with the helmet.
Still beats working. I'll take that goose egg anytime.