Buh bye AA

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Will this really affect anyone?

Well yeah duh. It will affect all of the white and asian kids who outscore black and hispanic kids but would be denied entry because of their race.

Racial discrimination is racial discrimination. It's wrong, and it's unconstitutional.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
COVID's curtailment of in-person learning placed an albatross around the necks of colleges and universities. The value of a college education suffered, as did the value of colleges and universities. Because these schools live and die by the quality of their graduates this ruling is a godsend.

I don't want my appendix taken out or the next Supreme Court ruling to come from an affirmative action product.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
My wife and kids are American Indian tribe members. Registered with the Government even. I was kind of bummed when college time came and the kids didn’t get the inside track. Oh well. Timing is everything.
did they not check the box on the application?

my uncle is paiute and he and my cousins refuse to employ that leverage in any and all circumstances

edit: I see Stu's response below.

Last edited:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
did they not check the box on the application?

my uncle is paiute and he and my cousins refuse to employ that leverage in any and all circumstances
It’s not considered in California already. It’s been that way for years.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
A neighbors kid went to Harvard. He said he spent four years listening to professors talk about Harvard and TA's talk about how important it is to acknowledge how lucky they are to be at Harvard. He said the curriculum didn't seem abnormally difficult. He's at SC getting his masters in finance and says the pace and curriculum isn't much different but the attitude is far less nauseating. He thought he was going to go straight from Harvard to banking but apparently all the undergraduate degree is good for is a ticket to grad school or government.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
meanwhile my "C is a degree" brother-in-law went to one of the easiest schools in NJ and makes obscene amounts of money as a reality tv producer.

So does it even matter what school you go to?
It depends. Some schools have really tight Alumni organizations that do a good job taking care of their own. USC is pretty much the best in the nation there.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
A neighbors kid went to Harvard. He said he spent four years listening to professors talk about Harvard and TA's talk about how important it is to acknowledge how lucky they are to be at Harvard. He said the curriculum didn't seem abnormally difficult. He's at SC getting his masters in finance and says the pace and curriculum isn't much different but the attitude is far less nauseating. He thought he was going to go straight from Harvard to banking but apparently all the undergraduate degree is good for is a ticket to grad school or government.
There isn’t a boys club that gets you into Wall Street from Harvard :unsure:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Litigators need to be experts in evidence and high level in the art of persuasion. The educational overachievers usually aren't the those personality types.
Thank you.

But anyone can eventually understand evidence. It’s all about personality. Juries love a sharp fatherly type.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I don't want my appendix taken out or the next Supreme Court ruling to come from an affirmative action product.
tell me you have no clue how medical residency or the appointment to SCOTUS works without telling me you have no clue how medical residency or the appointment to SCOTUS works

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Anybody can get denied at CP, it's so impacted that it's a crapshoot to get in for 100% of students.
Glad I applied when I did into the right niche grad program. Could’ve probably gotten into the same grad program nowadays but if I were applying as a undergrad the admission officer would be like this:

IMG_0327.gif

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Thank you.

But anyone can eventually understand evidence. It’s all about personality. Juries love a sharp fatherly type.
What's your opinion on law school graduates going to the DOJ for a few years before joining a firm. It seems to me that going that route gives a young lawyer a ton of immediate experience in litigation and rules of evidence vs joining a big firm and being pigeon holed into soul crushing research as an associate for a few years. My guess is a 10 year DOJ veteran would be in demand.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
What's your opinion on law school graduates going to the DOJ for a few years before joining a firm. It seems to me that going that route gives a young lawyer a ton of immediate experience in litigation and rules of evidence vs joining a big firm and being pigeon holed into soul crushing research as an associate for a few years. My guess is a 10 year DOJ veteran would be in demand.
I worked for a federal judge for a year right out of school. Best training ever. For litigators it’s amazing but there are very few opportunities. The AUSA jobs are impossible to get. DA/City Attorney jobs are great too, but still way more applicants than jobs.

Court training is less Important for straight transactional lawyers but understanding litigation gives them insight into how to better draft documents.

Reactions: VonMeister