Buh bye AA

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

I think white applicants at Harvard etc will learn to hate this decision.

CA public schools don’t consider race so no change here.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
In CA this decision changes nothing, UCs and CSUs are prohibited from using race at all in admissions decisions.

Yet often a highly qualified white kid will get denied by Berkeley or UCLA or wherever and their parents cry discrimination. This will fix that (non) problem.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
S
In CA this decision changes nothing, UCs and CSUs are prohibited from using race at all in admissions decisions.

Yet often a highly qualified white kid will get denied by Berkeley or UCLA or wherever and their parents cry discrimination. This will fix that (non) problem.
See , eg, Duffman, who insists his kid was denied by Cal Poly in favor of less qualified minority students. Nevermind there’s no consideration of race in the CSU application and that CP is by far the whitest public university in California.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

meanwhile my "C is a degree" brother-in-law went to one of the easiest schools in NJ and makes obscene amounts of money as a reality tv producer.

So does it even matter what school you go to?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
meanwhile my "C is a degree" brother-in-law went to one of the easiest schools in NJ and makes obscene amounts of money as a reality tv producer.

So does it even matter what school you go to?
Law Schools have a similar theory - middle of the class students are the best lawyers, particularly in the litigation side.

Reactions: 2surf and hal9000

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
S

See , eg, Duffman, who insists his kid was denied by Cal Poly in favor of less qualified minority students. Nevermind there’s no consideration of race in the CSU application and that CP is by far the whitest public university in California.
Anybody can get denied at CP, it's so impacted that it's a crapshoot to get in for 100% of students.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
SCOTUS left in this little caveat in their opinion:

(f) Because Harvard’s and UNC’s admissions programs lack sufficiently focused and measurable objectives warranting the use of race, unavoidably employ race in a negative manner, involve racial stereotyping, and lack meaningful end points, those admissions programs cannot be reconciled with the guarantees of the Equal Protection Clause. At the same time, nothing prohibits universities from considering an applicant’s discussion of how race affected the applicant’s life, so long as that discussion is concretely tied to a quality of character or unique ability that the particular applicant can contribute to the uni- versity.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
My wife and kids are American Indian tribe members. Registered with the Government even. I was kind of bummed when college time came and the kids didn’t get the inside track. Oh well. Timing is everything.