Backing Into A Parking Space: What's The Point?

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
I've got some theories-

If you need to exit the parking lot in a hurry, you may save 2 seconds doing so- unless of course the way is blocked by another motorist.

You want people to ogle and admire your new truck.

You want people to admire your new Tesla which really isn't as cool as new truck but since truck guys do a lot of this and you really-really want to be cool, you do it too, and justify it in your head by telling yourself that it's just habit from putting your Tesla on parking lot chargers which you have to do about every second time you park the thing.

You may decide to start your career in crime while grocery shopping and are prepping for a rapid getaway in your Tesla with a bag of organic fruit and a bottle of wine in tow.

All the cool kids are doing it, and by God, you want to be cool too.

Chuck Norris does not back into anything.
As you were.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Not sure why this has become such a popular thing to b!tch about lately. :shrug: It's all over social media. At first it just seemed like chicks complaining who couldn't back into a space to save their lives, but it seems to be gaining mainstream traction.

You have to back up either way. I've always chosen to do it when I arrive at a parking space rather than when I'm leaving.

Sorry bout' it.

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
There is a point, but only with vehicles with a long wheel base, such as full size pickups. They are much easier to get into a parking spot by backing in. I know; I owned a Toyota Tundra for a number of years.

But with vehicles with shorter wheel bases, there is no point. Still as BigUps notes, you have to back up either coming or going, so who cares?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
There is a point, but only with vehicles with a long wheel base, such as full size pickups. They are much easier to get into a parking spot by backing in. I know; I owned a Toyota Tundra for a number of years.

But with vehicles with shorter wheel bases, there is no point. Still as BigUps notes, you have to back up either coming or going, so who cares?
Actually there is a point to it, in fact several. There’s next to nothing to hit backing into a space vs the increased chance of getting clipped by some idiot going wayyy too fast and/or taking a shortcut through the parking spaces because they’re a lazy entitled prick bc while you’re backing out of a space

That and if you’re a dude it says to the world that you’re not a soft cock who doesnt know how to drive

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
You know how lots of people are procrastinators?
well, did you know that some people are precrastinators?
they care of sh*t as soon as they can, often just in case the worst scenario possible happens. You don’t want to wish you’d done something sooner so that you wouldn’t have to do it now

thats people who back into a parking space
at least some of them

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I could give af how anyone parks tbh, I already know they suck at driving because statistics. But what I’d really like to know is when did tailgating become the norm? It’s not only incredibly rude in my opinion but it’s also really fucking stupid especially at highway speeds (70mph = 100ft/second).

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I back into my driveway every time unless I have to sh!t really bad and my rectal GPS is going off making me run for the house. I do it for multiple reasons…

1. I’m almost always in more of a rush when I’m leaving than when I’m coming home and have a better vantage point of cross traffic pulling forward out of my driveway. My driveway behind the gate is pretty narrow and is much easier to navigate forward than in reverse when in a rush.

2. With the plague of catalytic converter thefts, I usually back my car into our driveway behind the gate and my gf’s car up against the gate which makes it less exposed for cat converter theft. Back up cameras help me park with precision like a boss so I can have the bumper less than a half inch from the gate.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Pick the emptiest part of the lot and back into your parking space.

Or... Park like a girl.

It matters not to me.
I always park on the far end of the lot. The extra walk is good for me. Waiting for lazy fools to jockey for the closest possible spot is bad for my patience.

Reactions: crustBrother

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I could give af how anyone parks tbh, I already know they suck at driving because statistics. But what I’d really like to know is when did tailgating become the norm? It’s not only incredibly rude in my opinion but it’s also really fucking stupid especially at highway speeds (70mph = 100ft/second).
You could be going 85 and some asshole will be 6 feet back, right up your ass.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You could be going 85 and some asshole will be 6 feet back, right up your ass.
6 feet is one of the more courteous drivers out there bro. Cops don’t even care. Saw an eight train of cars, essentially glued together, all go past a state trooper on the median at 100 feet per second plus. If I was that trooper, Id ticket one of them for failure to maintain a safe following distance?

the sad thing is they’ve made me be a way less courteous driver myself bc if you can’t beat them, fire with fire etc. I still go out of my way to hook a trucker up, but otherwise I drive like a dick/ignoring the other cars like the truckers do bc everyone drives like such a fucking loser. I learned it from watching the big rigs drive through Texas. And now I’m sporting a trailer hitch so if you hit me from behind, maximum damage to your car.

and bitd when I was driving big trucks for the film industry I could back one into a loading dock w/o help and more often than not it was perfect or close to it. Never got in an accident in one either

It’s also where I learned how to do the “Teamster shimmy” so when you put your blinker on to change lanes people will actually let you.