Catastrophic Sea Level Rise

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
i never said it was happening fast, but certainly it has changed in my lifetime of 50 years
And again, how much of that is global sea level rise vs subsidence? Florida doesn't exactly have a history of responsible coastal development. Combine that with mangrove and wetland destruction, high seasonal rainfall and hurricanes and it's not hard to imagine why the subsidence would be worse there than elsewhere. Carolinas are in a similar predicament because they have all of the drainage from the Appalachians.

If you were to take the global average of all of the NOAA datapoints I have linked, the difference is maybe a foot per century.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The photographic record goes back 125 years and shows no discernable change in sea levels in relation to fixed objects. I trust the photographic evidence more than any climate cultist, politician or those who rely on grants from politicians.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Crystals in AC is the North tip so the beach faces more southward.
it's Crystal, singular, as in Crystal Beach. only non-local white boys - the kind that are dumb enough to leave their boards under the boardwalk while they run down to the store - call it "Crystals".

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
@grapedrink

well, I won’t argue about irresponsible development, but where my family lives in the Bahamas also has areas that now flood that were once farm land. I’m not talking about waist deep water, but 6-10” of salt water that ruined the soil.

not that they farmed it anymore, but it now floods all the same, and it’s hard to sell land that is underwater at times…..

regardless whether it’s only a foot per century, it’s happening all the same

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
For reference, here’s a piece of property down the street from family that is for sale.

check out where the high tide line is.

when I was a kid, this house was 50-75 feet from the water. Built on rock, not sand.

So you guys can deny all you want. I see it personally, and arguing about it makes me more stupid by the minute….

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
So you guys can deny all you want. I see it personally, and arguing about it makes me more stupid by the minute….
World wide datasets >>>>> cherry picked anecdotes

Like I said, most of what you are seeing is land subsidence. If you look at the NOAA map, the rise is several fold greater near New Orleans because of the mass drainage from the MS river. If it were glaciers melting responsible for most of it, the values between the northern gulf states and the Keys would be much closer.

The point is that the effect of man made global warming on sea level range is greatly overhyped and a fraction of what the media portrays it to be.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
World wide datasets >>>>> cherry picked anecdotes

Like I said, most of what you are seeing is land subsidence. If you look at the NOAA map, the rise is several fold greater near New Orleans because of the mass drainage from the MS river. If it were glaciers melting responsible for most of it, the values between the northern gulf states and the Keys would be much closer.

The point is that the effect of man made global warming on sea level range is greatly overhyped and a fraction of what the media portrays it to be.
Just like ivermectin cured Covid.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Meterology and oceanography have been around for a long time, and many if not most historical measurements were quite accurate. Accurate sea level measurements were made by harbormasters long before tide prediction became a thing in the late 1800s.
Harbormasters.

Global average sea level.

okie dokie.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
And when you guys or your progeny are getting swamped, don’t come crying to my high dry place, or sailboat.

just like you guys say about handouts….

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Convince the global warming cabal that we can offset sea level rise with desalination.

Use the salt to assist the south with their kudzu woes.

Quench the thirsts of all Americans and be less affected by drought.

Win-win-win all around.

Cambria knows.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Reactions: grapedrink

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
They've been accurately measuring tides since long before Daguerre (the first photographer).
Unless those old and new photos have tide levels noted on them when they were shot, they are worthless as sea-level measuring tools.
But the one photo is black and white so it must be historical.

• Haha
Reactions: hammies

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
They've been accurately measuring tides since long before Daguerre (the first photographer).
Unless those old and new photos have tide levels noted on them when they were shot, they are worthless as sea-level measuring tools.
If you look closely and know what you're looking at you can tell where the high tide line is in the photos of the Statue of Liberty and see that there has been no change of note. Lower Manhattan was supposed to be under water by now according to the cult.