Cabo Recs

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
My wife is looking to do a friend group trip to Cabo in October this year. Neither of us have been before. Surfing is not an objective (I think I'll be the only person that surfs), but we're definitely looking for good swimming beaches with decent food and drink options that will accommodate a lot of relaxing and some mild partying with around 10 people. She is going back and forth between San Jose and Todos. Seems like Todos Santos might be a little too quiet?

Any recommendations on zones to stay in, day trips, places to eat, etc are all welcome. Thanks!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
We drove out East one day, got some great surf before the wind got on it. There were some interesting beaches along the way as well.

Around the corner from Cabo/The Arch, starting at Lover's, and going at least some of the way West along the very exposed coast, mind the shorebreak. It WILL fuck up the uninitiated, and soft topping at Malibu is not an initiation - if someone is not fairly well-versed in the art of when the shorebreak hammers here, don't be there, and all the current surges pursuant to that, do NOT take that lightly.

The surf fishing in the East Cape area can get damn good. I dunno seasons or what but there's roosters.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
You can’t really swim in Todos. The beaches are kind of gnarly. Cerritos is decent for swimming. La Ventana is a couple hours north of Cabo on the Cortez side and checks the boxes - good food, great swimming, very relaxing and has every level of partying anyone could ask for. If you’re going with 10 people, you could have a great time there.

Reactions: MathDebater

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
We just got invited to jump on a group trip to Todos this Spring (I think may). Never been. Looks like the airbnb house is pretty close to the beach just west of town. What kind of surf spots are right there? I'll probably be only surfer, so not sure if I will bring a boar, but seems like I should, right?

Reactions: tedshred5 and Aruka

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
We just got invited to jump on a group trip to Todos this Spring (I think may). Never been. Looks like the airbnb house is pretty close to the beach just west of town. What kind of surf spots are right there? I'll probably be only surfer, so not sure if I will bring a boar, but seems like I should, right?
Id bring a board. Pescadero/Pedrito and Cerritos are South of there. Kinda end of Winter swells but could be something. OT's spot is also nearby :shameonyou::shameonyou::shameonyou: LOL

Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Def bring a board. Cerritos can get really fun and handles a crowd.The waves in that area are generally punchy for the size so bring something non-simmonsy unless the forecast is absolutely dismal.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
OK, thanks guys. I would probably just walk to whatever is close to the house. I'll keep an eye on the forecast when it gets closer. Sounds like Pyzalien2 would be a good Swiss army knife to bring. But you know how I do... tough for me not to bring a twin tho. LOL

Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 7.39.29 AM.png

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
OK, thanks guys. I would probably just walk to whatever is close to the house. I'll keep an eye on the forecast when it gets closer. Sounds like Pyzalien2 would be a good Swiss army knife to bring. But you know how I do... tough for me not to bring a twin tho. LOL

View attachment 151631
cabron varial Insanity, duh!

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
We finally figured out childcare for next weekend and pulled the trigger on flights. 3 other couples for a friend’s 40th bday weekend. Should be fun.
Will keep an eye on the forecast, but thinking to bring Varial Lightbender to walk to the nearest break. I may be able to surf when the others go fishing. I love to fish but get wicked seasick offshore.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm going to second San Jose del Cabo for your needs.

Plenty of fun surf around with some S swell. East cape if it's big. Easy drive to Cerritos if the S swell is non-existent.

Santa Maria beach is awesome for swimming/snorkling,/hanging on the beach all day.

One night, you gotta go to The Cape and have drinks at the rooftop bar (requires reservations) and then go have dinner at Sunset Monalisa (walking distance).

Brunch at The Office is a scene, but it's fun.

Other dinner ideas are Solomans Landing (harbor) and Los Tres Gallos (downtown).

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I want to go to there.

Went to Todos Santos a couple weekends ago with a non-surfing crew of 4 couples. We were at a rustic airbnb compound /mango farm just 10-20 miles north of Cerritos, but I didn't get to surf. I brought a boar but didn't force it cause we were there for a friend's birthday. The one day I could've, I didn't have a car. We walked 10-15 min to the beach, and then I hiked solo on the sand 30 min south hoping there would be something around the next bend, but there was nothing but shorepound as far as I could see. The last morning they offered to drive to Cerritos, but we only had a couple hours before we had to head to the airport so I didn't force it. We were all slightly hungover anyway, so it was easy to just hang out at the ranch.
We went to dinner at a killer spot on the sand called The Green Room. Highly recommend. If we go again, I would try to stay at the hotel next to there.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Went to Todos Santos a couple weekends ago with a non-surfing crew of 4 couples. We were at a rustic airbnb compound /mango farm just 10-20 miles north of Cerritos, but I didn't get to surf.
I brought a boar but didn't force it cause we were there for a friend's birthday.
The one day I could've, I didn't have a car.
The last morning they offered to drive to Cerritos, but we only had a couple hours before we had to head to the airport so I didn't force it.

:ROFLMAO:

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
Headed to Cabo San Lucas next week and staying in the tourist area. Not a surf trip, just lounge around with the lady but gonna bring a board and some fins in the hopes of sneaking out for something. Y'all know if there's waves between there and Monuments? I wasn't planning on renting a car.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Headed to Cabo San Lucas next week and staying in the tourist area. Not a surf trip, just lounge around with the lady but gonna bring a board and some fins in the hopes of sneaking out for something. Y'all know if there's waves between there and Monuments? I wasn't planning on renting a car.
Solid Southern Hemi filling in Thursday 8/31. If you're gonna be down there late next week I'd seriously consider getting a rental car and taking advantage of a great swell on the East Cape. It will be firing and well worth the extra expense. Just make sure to pack a cooler and an umbrella for your lady. 100° in the shade, which there is none of out there. Avoid the Costa Azul breaks as they will be packed during this swell. Monuments will be maxed out and Loc'd out.
For car rental, Dominic is a friend and offers the best rates in Los Cabos. Cash up front, everything is included in the quoted price, no bullshit fees. 5 star reviews. https://loscabosfamily.com/