*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Thanks bros for all the advice on upgrading new gear. Already ordered the Jones Frontier 161W and Jones mercury bindings. My Burton SLX boots should be good. They're around 7-8 years old... but only a couple weeks worth of riding on them. Going back to Mammoth first week of April. Stocked.
That’s a solid setup that should keep you stocked for a wicked long time. I have pretty much the same bindings (Now Drives that I uprgraded the straps on so they’re like the Mercs). Can’t get a more responsive binding/the kingpin system just kicks ass in general.

Went up and did some exploring/rode some challenging snow conditions. I was not impressed with my performance so I tried to put some work in riding steeps then moguls before bailing after a few runs. Speed control was there bc finished turns and I try real hard to keep knees bending but overall pretty sloppy/no mojo to be found

DB920BAF-553B-4057-B753-5AB8EE2B35ED.jpeg

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Drove through Fresno on way to Sierras.

Most snow I've ever seen, in a lifetime in these mountains. Snow all the way down to lower foothills from as far north to as far south as you can see. Tons and tons of snow. The peaks at the top (above 10k) look insane.

This spring melt is going to be wild. Rivers, creeks, and waterfalls are going to be raging.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
And a super bloom too I reckon?
No superbloom for Death Valley, unfortunately. I was planning on going too. Apparently the heavy rains that flooded DV last summer came too early. There is a very specific window the heavy rains need to come, which is why superblooms have only happened 3x in last 15yr or so.

But there should an incredible bloom in the foothills of the Sierras. Probably all time. Definitely plan to hit up Carrizo Plain, and the highway 140 entrance to Yosemite which runs next to the Merced river. The steep banks should be blanketed in orange poppies come April.

Carrizo Plain in previous good years.

1678327277306.png

1678327309370.png

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Drove through Fresno on way to Sierras.

Most snow I've ever seen, in a lifetime in these mountains. Snow all the way down to lower foothills from as far north to as far south as you can see. Tons and tons of snow. The peaks at the top (above 10k) look insane.

This spring melt is going to be wild. Rivers, creeks, and waterfalls are going to be raging.
Pct thru hikers are totally boned this year.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I would fly out for a few days of late spring/early summer riding in the sierras. The novelty alone would be dope. Ride with some of you hell men

may?? Birthday trip for me and the missus.

ooh maybe another stop on the subways grand North American tour in @oneworlded camper van hint Hint ;) tahoe or mammoth or basically anywhere is on the way to Seattle from the desert of the southwest
Gonna try to make it happen! Still gotta iron some details in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Gonna try to make it happen! Still gotta iron some details in the next couple of weeks.
Lol dude I’m just being a smart ass. If we can help you guys and have an adventure whilst doing so, that’s awesome. But, as long as we’ve known each other here and on the “normal” socials, you’d still be giving your beloved van to a stranger, with nothing but a pair of keys and a “see you in Seattle in 2 weeks” lol.

I mean, I know how trust worthy my wife and I are, and there are those here who can attest, but, I can certainly understand if you (or more importantly your wife lol) aren’t super comfortable with it :)

im just saying - we’d love to do it- but will not take it personally if you prefer to hire or pay a known family friend for the cross country drive.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
My teenagers currently are slated to compete in halfpipe and slopestyle competitions at Mammoth next weekend. We have a plan to drive down this coming Monday and had planned to be shredding all next week as a little family vacation. Now I'm starting to doubt we'll even be able to get there. What an insane winter.

To all you Mammoth 'locs', where would you go for the best most reliable information on long (and short) term weather forecasts both for the mountain and in town, and road information, specifically 395 between Mammoth Lakes and Carson City? I'm glad we have an exceptional snow vehicle but it won't matter if the road isn't open.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
My teenagers currently are slated to compete in halfpipe and slopestyle competitions at Mammoth next weekend. We have a plan to drive down this coming Monday and had planned to be shredding all next week as a little family vacation. Now I'm starting to doubt we'll even be able to get there. What an insane winter.

To all you Mammoth 'locs', where would you go for the best most reliable information on long (and short) term weather forecasts both for the mountain and in town, and road information, specifically 395 between Mammoth Lakes and Carson City? I'm glad we have an exceptional snow vehicle but it won't matter if the road isn't open.
My two sends, big picture weather =

and I learn from otter posters that twitter is really where is at for the most recent info on toad closures etc.
District 9???

Last edited:
Reactions: bruhdakine and Pico

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Yes, twitter is the place to go for breaking news these days, including road conditions and pics of wherever you're going. Just search on twit and then use that 'latest' tab at the top.

Reactions: bruhdakine