Pyzel Mini Padillac

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

Someone will want to know more, or pull a swift semi-yolo, so we might as well start consolidating info in a dedicated thread. The Ghost thread has some pics and posts, but let's leave that one in peace.

Has any of you tried one yet, or even fondled one? Heard from a friend or third party?

I surfed my 6'4 stock Ghost today, and loved it as usual, but was undergunned on the bigger waves. Made me think of the Mini Padi.

Don't forget, the Good Lord - and others with good taste - loves a baby swallow :)

http://instagr.am/p/COBBlk-jhAn/

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Funny I was overgunned on my 7-10 Padillac today and was thinking something like a 6-8 version would probably be more appropriate for my level of bravery.

If you were to get one, how long would you go Maz?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Aruka, I read your other post and thought of how many times I've taken a big board out and loved it :)

Anyhoo, I'd go 6'8. A meaningful step above my 6'4 Ghost, but still 'low' enough volume to duckdive. Getting out at the points here can be a real mission on relentless days, and you don't want to get swept down to the Cheesegrater or Pinnacles sections. That was the reason I didn't ride my 6'10 DS today.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Aruka, I read your other post and thought of how many times I've taken a big board out and loved it :)

Anyhoo, I'd go 6'8. A meaningful step above my 6'4 Ghost, but still 'low' enough volume to duckdive. Getting out at the points here can be a real mission on relentless days, and you don't want to get swept down to the Cheesegrater or Pinnacles sections. That was the reason I didn't ride my 6'10 DS today.
6-8 seems about right. I doubt I'd go any shorter for that type of board even though I'm sure it'd be fun.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
I have a 6'10 mini-padi.
Long time no post, but I have lurked here and there over the past few years.
I will not be showing anyone my (.)(.)......
I wanted to chime in on this as I got a lot of good input from the gang above and then some, on the ghost thread and other pyzel threads, and wanted to reciprocate. Sorry in advance if this is more info than Maz wanted :)
I have quite a few customs from local shapers and others that I love and use, but was looking for some boards I could start to use and get used to, that were more easily "repeatable", if not replaceable. Some of the spots I surf trash boards and travelling with one off favorites stresses me out. Yes, its about another grand all in if a pyzel is trashed, but you could just get the exact same thing again.. maybe not magic, but repeatable.
So, enter Pyzel's shapes for me, who is really the first (now) "big shaper brand" Ive bought boards from in a loooong while.
I liked the look of his shapes, kind of seem old school meets modern, but in a no BS way. I like volume forward boards with beef that can also surf well. Thats nothing new for old school shapers in Hawaii, but Jon is doing something really well with his production and glassing and customer service. I first bought a 7'10 padillac and really liked it. I wanted somthing bigger than my 7'6 travel gun that would still fit in an 8'0 board bag. I use it at certain spots when its big, but Its not my only gun. I like other boards for more open faced big waves. The Padillac is pretty money for me when its throwing, and even though its 7'10, it will surf smaller ( like overhead and a half) waves really well. That super foiled tail shortens the board IMO

I got a 6'10 mini padi in anticipation for a surf trip that I just came back from. It is a really interesting board.
LOTS of beef in the middle, foiled in the rails and super foiled in the tail. I got a chance to surf it frontside in overhead waves with punch a few different days before my trip and the thing is crazy fast and very maneuverable for a board with so much paddle power. I was surfing it as a quad, with EA quads. Backhand on a few felt a little tracky to me, but it was probably my foot placement not being used to it. I then surfed it on a smaller day ( shoulder high, less power) just to see what that was like. I used the narrower NVS aipa quad horseman fins and it was super fast and loose frontside, less tracky backhand, but still my foot placement was off there.
After those sessions in both juice and meh waves, I knew this was a good travel board.
As you guys said with the ghost, there is a weird sensation with the mini padi- it paddles really well but it GETS INTO waves great.. kinda like a delayed reaction where youre not sure youre getting into some, but then it zooms in...
Up and riding with the EA quads on solid overhead sets it went great and no wonky foot placement backside, as I was just naturally further back because it was friggin heaving...
Smaller days I played around with it as a twin plus trailer ( i think I had the NVS taylor knox twins in there) and it was clearly not designed for that but ended up being really fun, as I didnt have a small wave board with me.

Downsides: is it is very beefy in the center of the board and you need to recalibrate your paddle position on the board ( and be way more mindful of critical duckdives.. there is more foam to get under a pitching lip than your hands on the rail is telling your brain! Almost got sucked over on a few lazy duckdives...). That downside of lots of foam turns into a plus, if you are one board quivering it somewhere and the surf goes blah.. with all that foam, just can add smaller fins and you can make it work in gutless stuff if you dont have a groveller on a trip etc..
other downside is, Im sure you lose performance vs say a ghost, but thats not a concern for me. Its plenty maneuverable for what I'd want a board like this to do.
Gotta say, the stock glassing on this and my padillac is really good, and Pyzels customer service ( at least in Haleiwa) is great.
Can definitely see this being a good wave board anywhere and even a so so wave board for places where current and rubber is a factor.
Hope this helps!

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Great info. Almost pulled the trigger on one a few weeks back but had yet to see one in person, hesitated and someone snapped it up. Will definitely be checking them out when I’m up on the Goldy in a few weeks, sounds like my type of board.

Reactions: Pyzelsurfboards

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I have a 6'10 mini-padi.
Long time no post, but I have lurked here and there over the past few years.
I will not be showing anyone my (.)(.)......
I wanted to chime in on this as I got a lot of good input from the gang above and then some, on the ghost thread and other pyzel threads, and wanted to reciprocate. Sorry in advance if this is more info than Maz wanted :)
I have quite a few customs from local shapers and others that I love and use, but was looking for some boards I could start to use and get used to, that were more easily "repeatable", if not replaceable. Some of the spots I surf trash boards and travelling with one off favorites stresses me out. Yes, its about another grand all in if a pyzel is trashed, but you could just get the exact same thing again.. maybe not magic, but repeatable.
So, enter Pyzel's shapes for me, who is really the first (now) "big shaper brand" Ive bought boards from in a loooong while.
I liked the look of his shapes, kind of seem old school meets modern, but in a no BS way. I like volume forward boards with beef that can also surf well. Thats nothing new for old school shapers in Hawaii, but Jon is doing something really well with his production and glassing and customer service. I first bought a 7'10 padillac and really liked it. I wanted somthing bigger than my 7'6 travel gun that would still fit in an 8'0 board bag. I use it at certain spots when its big, but Its not my only gun. I like other boards for more open faced big waves. The Padillac is pretty money for me when its throwing, and even though its 7'10, it will surf smaller ( like overhead and a half) waves really well. That super foiled tail shortens the board IMO

I got a 6'10 mini padi in anticipation for a surf trip that I just came back from. It is a really interesting board.
LOTS of beef in the middle, foiled in the rails and super foiled in the tail. I got a chance to surf it frontside in overhead waves with punch a few different days before my trip and the thing is crazy fast and very maneuverable for a board with so much paddle power. I was surfing it as a quad, with EA quads. Backhand on a few felt a little tracky to me, but it was probably my foot placement not being used to it. I then surfed it on a smaller day ( shoulder high, less power) just to see what that was like. I used the narrower NVS aipa quad horseman fins and it was super fast and loose frontside, less tracky backhand, but still my foot placement was off there.
After those sessions in both juice and meh waves, I knew this was a good travel board.
As you guys said with the ghost, there is a weird sensation with the mini padi- it paddles really well but it GETS INTO waves great.. kinda like a delayed reaction where youre not sure youre getting into some, but then it zooms in...
Up and riding with the EA quads on solid overhead sets it went great and no wonky foot placement backside, as I was just naturally further back because it was friggin heaving...
Smaller days I played around with it as a twin plus trailer ( i think I had the NVS taylor knox twins in there) and it was clearly not designed for that but ended up being really fun, as I didnt have a small wave board with me.

Downsides: is it is very beefy in the center of the board and you need to recalibrate your paddle position on the board ( and be way more mindful of critical duckdives.. there is more foam to get under a pitching lip than your hands on the rail is telling your brain! Almost got sucked over on a few lazy duckdives...). That downside of lots of foam turns into a plus, if you are one board quivering it somewhere and the surf goes blah.. with all that foam, just can add smaller fins and you can make it work in gutless stuff if you dont have a groveller on a trip etc..
other downside is, Im sure you lose performance vs say a ghost, but thats not a concern for me. Its plenty maneuverable for what I'd want a board like this to do.
Gotta say, the stock glassing on this and my padillac is really good, and Pyzels customer service ( at least in Haleiwa) is great.
Can definitely see this being a good wave board anywhere and even a so so wave board for places where current and rubber is a factor.
Hope this helps!
good to see you back M.. Sorry I never responded to your earlier message but I'm not good with that phone stuff. My brother and I might make it out there again this year when things cool down as everything's so pricey now with the post covid rush. The mini Pad sounds like the 6'8" thruster made for me where he put all the 3" of volume down the stringer tapering it to the rails creating a super dome deck. Even the 7'10" Terry Chung gun is like that. Almost brewer-isc in nature. Was looking at those NVS Knox twins but settled on the convertible twins in futures which pushes the twin further back like greg liked to do. Still no major water time these past years for me hoping this is the year (not many left at my age).

Reactions: money4coffeeman

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Oneula no worries!
Yeah it has some similarities to a t.chung fat girl but more shortboardy and refined(?)
I had a really good session last weekend on the Eastside in between the storms, was bigger than I thought when I got out, close to DOH some sets and burley... no real channels so it Was very nice being able to duck dive the 6'10 mini padi vs a bigger board I might have brought had the swell not surprised me. It paddled great and got into waves well and just was kind of a no brainer board.. didn't have to think too much about it, just surfed (big drops and carves, nothing special) middle aged style! Old man step-up like pyzels friend said (In the ghost thread).. that may not be the best marketing tag line but it's prob accurate;)
Can definitely see the young rippers committing to the smaller versions of these for performance and shacks...

Reactions: Maz and oeste858

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Dan Connell who won the 2013 South Bay Big Wave award loves his mini Padillac. Years back he got a custom Padillac that was pretty close to standard dims now for the mini’s dims for what he ordered. I’m pretty sure his MP is a 6’10 and he says it’s perfect for the handful of spots locally that require that sort of lumber. If I had to guess, I’d say he’s 6’1 160 ish.