What should America do about the childhood obesity epidemic?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
You forgot to post the argument (that doesn’t exist, at least not from HAES).

You should do some reading before regurgitating the results of a google search. Or perhaps you’re unclear about the meaning of ‘argument’ and/or ‘slogan’. In any case, you should read what they say at the HAES site, it’s enlightening.
You're still wrong

This isn't about "acceptance"

It's about lying to people by saying they can be healthy and fat

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You live in FL

Be honest with yourself, i've smelled obesity in the South during the summer
From hundreds of yards away? Doubt.jpg. Also not a year-round problem.

I spend most of the summer huddled in my A/C trying to avoid the hordes of tards crowding the Jax Beaches. My primary annoyances are day drinkers on beach cruisers swerving all over the place, idiots driving, and idiots who see me fishing and decide to swim right in front of me - for every time I get 000'd surfing, I get 000'd by bathers while fishing 10-12x.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
No, that’s not what it’s about. l’m not going to bother quoting from the site because obviously you don’t give a sh!t about what’s true.
I read it a couple times

Enablers like you are the problem

it’s all about fats not wanting to face the consequences for their actions

for example, a fat would want their knee pain looked at. Any good doctor will tell them the first way to solve it is losing weight. This flies in the face of HAES theory

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
for example, a fat would want their knee pain looked at. Any good doctor will tell them the first way to solve it is losing weight. This flies in the face of HAES theory
That is one of their concerns, yes. I’m no doctor but I assume there could be many causes for knee pain and it would be a mistake to prejudge a person with such a symptom and not investigate.

• Dislike
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Are you being facetious?

If you're like me, and I think a lot of you must be or you wouldn't be on the erBB, count yourself lucky to have found (most ikely in your youth) an activity, surfing, that requires you to be and helps keep you fit and healthy. When I see a fat person I always think, "I would do whatever I could to remediate that situation." But that's me. I have a friend who's struggled with her weight her whole life. I recently saw her and it looks like she just gave up. I almost don't blame her. I know how hard she's struggled for at least the 30 years I've known her and now at 60+ years old she probably just said, "Fuk it."

I'm a "health nut" to some extent and do not agree 100% with "body positivity," The risks should not be ignored. But I try not to judge people or have any hostility towards them because of their weight. Instead, I sense some of you are disgusted by and hostile towards fat people who are just trying to live their lives.
I’m not being facetious
but I’m not one of the people that thinks shaming works

i do not believe in healthy at any size
i do not believe people who might look better if they lost a few pounds are all unhealthy
i do not believe that overemphasizing looks is a positive thing

but I do think people should be educated on what obesity does the ones body

make it about health, not looks
use education, not shame

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
There's a certain amount of "stop feeding kids garbage, make them go outside and play, and stop feeding them large adult-size portions"......

but what about the genetics and micro biome components.
Majoring in the minors. That stuff plays a role but that’s like saying you will make a dry bland cupcake better by adding sprinkles on top.

I see it with my neighbors across the street. Complains how overweight she is and that she can’t lose weight, but knows every restaurant in a 5 mile radius and I see her unload sodas, cookies and chips from car every time she comes home from the grocery store. And on of the daughters is following suit, as expected.

Genetics is your starting point for how far or slow your metabolism, but we all have the power to control intake and improve our metabolic health with exercise.

Reactions: npsp and Kento

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Now, do the same for smoking and alcoholism.
What exactly do you think I did?

My generation and cultural milieu is rife with guys who are no longer with us due to drug and alcohol addiction (cigarettes not so much...education programs???). The problem there is almost the opposite- no one shamed them, but rather they were egged on. It was like you were expected to "party." The shame was on those who "couldn't hold their alcohol." Lightweights! I feel lucky now that I was a lightweight.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Majoring in the minors. That stuff plays a role but that’s like saying you will make a dry bland cupcake better by adding sprinkles on top.

I see it with my neighbors across the street. Complains how overweight she is and that she can’t lose weight, but knows every restaurant in a 5 mile radius and I see her unload sodas, cookies and chips from car every time she comes home from the grocery store.
Crappy food promotes, or rather feeds, microbes that are not mutually beneficial, lead to unhealthy gut permeability, etc.

New discoveries indicate that our bodies contain more microbial cells than human cells, so a bit more than sprinkles on a cupcake, metaphysically speaking.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Just like the adult obesity epidemic

Fix the food

Seed oils and sugars, in addition to all the other sh!t in food, is poison
Junk food is anything that anybody will naturally eat too much of it, to their detriment. It is eating for entertainment and requires big gut. Food is fuel and should not be too much fun.

Eat simple, non-engineered, non-enhanced, non-salted, non-sugared, non-processed foods.

EDITED VERSION

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Junk food is anything that anybody will naturally eat too much of it, to their detriment. It is eating for entertainment. Sports for entertainment. Eat healthy, simple, non-engineered, non-enhanced, non-salted, non-sugared, non-fatty foods. Tax junk foods. Food is medicine. We are how we eat.
Two caveats:
1. sin taxes are never the answer. Social engineering via government is gross
2. Fatty foods are fine if they are good fats. The focus on low fat is one of the reasons why we got here

Otherwise, I agree

Reactions: Aquaman2

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
For every pound gained there are something like 4 additional pounds of pressure on your knees. Hips, back, etc. Not to mention the cardio vascular damage. Obese people are just destroying themselves. It's pretty sad really.