*** Official Vans Pipe Masters Contest Thread ***

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD

Guy who can't do airs is bummed that airs are going to get scored well. Fair enough on the point of a bunch of nobodies at Pipe getting invited to the "Pipe Masters".

Reactions: sponge

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I was going to start a new thread after watching that video titled "Koa Dumps on The Vans Stab Mag Pro Masters". 100% agree with him. The whole run up by Vans Stab Mag on YouTube was super cringy. Bringing in people who don't surf Pipe because they can do airs is like pissing on the real Pipe chargers past and present. Gotta wonder what Makua thinks of Koa dumping on the event as Makua was part of the cringy Vans Stab Mag Pro Masters video series run up to the event? Little rivalry between the brothers Rothman?

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site

Guy who can't do airs is bummed that airs are going to get scored well. Fair enough on the point of a bunch of nobodies at Pipe getting invited to the "Pipe Masters".
Been trying to figure out the format, and Koa gave some insight. Round robin with three rounds. Highest scorers to be in finals. Airs scored as high as barrels.

I'm guessing the contest is still allocated for four full days of competition through the Dec 8-20 window. There are 45 men and 25 women invited. If they did 5-person heats (unusual competitor number; 14 heats per round) for 35 minutes, they can get through one round in a full day.

Given the current swell/conditions forecast, only Friday (12/16) and Saturday (12/17) look good. Wind forecast looks horrible Sun to Tue (12/18-20). West winds might help aerial attempts at Backdoor I guess.

Will the winner(s) deserve to be listed with previous Pipe Masters?
1671071344058.png

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
Hoping they change chopes, and all other barrel dominant venues to air waves only...no turns/etc either, just wing wang ding dangs allowed.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Been trying to figure out the format, and Koa gave some insight. Round robin with three rounds. Highest scorers to be in finals. Airs scored as high as barrels.

I'm guessing the contest is still allocated for four full days of competition through the Dec 8-20 window. There are 45 men and 25 women invited. If they did 5-person heats (unusual competitor number; 14 heats per round) for 35 minutes, they can get through one round in a full day.

Given the current swell/conditions forecast, only Friday (12/16) and Saturday (12/17) look good. Wind forecast looks horrible Sun to Tue (12/18-20). West winds might help aerial attempts at Backdoor I guess.

Will the winner(s) deserve to be listed with previous Pipe Masters?
View attachment 143945
That’s a big no to your question

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Gotta wonder what Makua thinks of Koa dumping on the event as Makua was part of the cringy Vans Stab Mag Pro Masters video series run up to the event? Little rivalry between the brothers Rothman?
Both loving the $$$$ while complaining. Not much of a stand for his family event ....

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Everything that Koa said is true and good on him for speaking publicly.

He said the scoring is wack with airs being prirotitized for some unknown reason, JJF and Kelly are not in the event so that alone means it’s not a Pipe Masters, and the invite list includes people that never surf Pipe and it’s not the best in the world participating.

Reactions: bluengreen

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
I just climbed over the wall of positivity to say that 99.999999999% of surf airs look like sh!t and have zero style. It's amazing that surfing spawned other board sports and then the other board sports influenced surfing to........do dogshit airs (and have the ZD Tour powers that be think they should be rewarded similarly to things that can't be done in the white water of Westport WA summer surf). Anyways, back over to the positive side of the wall, see you guys at pumping 1-2' Pipe for the women's tour!

Reactions: JDJ

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I just climbed over the wall of positivity to say that 99.999999999% of surf airs look like sh!t and have zero style.
I would go further and say most pro/aspiring pro level surfers today have no style at all, or their style has been suppressed.

Reason being everyone is getting coached and video'd nowadays so everyone is being told to surf a certain way.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Everything that Koa said is true and good on him for speaking publicly.

He said the scoring is wack with airs being prirotitized for some unknown reason, JJF and Kelly are not in the event so that alone means it’s not a Pipe Masters, and the invite list includes people that never surf Pipe and it’s not the best in the world participating.
Inviting people because of their ability to do airs is the dumbest thing ever. Meanwhile there are tons of barrel surfers from around the world far more deserving. Hell, there are YouTubers more worthy than the air surfers of an invite to the Pipe Masters.

Reactions: SirKooksALot

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Inviting people because of their ability to do airs is the dumbest thing ever. Meanwhile there are tons of barrel surfers from around the world far more deserving. Hell, there are YouTubers more worthy than the air surfers of an invite to the Pipe Masters.
That is what the kids want to see. How about the Sunset contest last year? Guys riding 6'2"s on the last third of the wave at 12 ft Sunset.