CI Mid Ride Report…

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Horses for courses though, the M13 and the CI mid are designed to draw very different lines.

The CI mid is designed to let you surf like Devon Howard, if that’s not your bag then you probably won’t love it.
Right. I guess it wasnt the best comparison. Or rather I should have clarified a bit on why I would choose the m13 which is that, and nothing against Devon, it's more suited to the type of surfing I do and perhaps more importantly, the type of waves I have available to surf.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Hmmm, two reviews of the CI Mid Twin fin and not one piece of helpful information.

Very hard to get a sense of how different this board is from the 2+1.

I don't think you can only surf a CI Mid like Devon Howard. Mikey February surfs his a lot more aggressively.

Where on earth is Yuri from? It scares me to think about what his primary audience looks like.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
, two reviews of the CI Mid Twin fin and not one piece of helpful information.

Very hard to get a sense of how different this board is from the 2+1.

I don't think you can only surf a CI Mid like Devon Howard. Mikey February surfs his a lot more aggressively.
Well yes and no, Mikey Feb is a 29 year old CT level shortboarder, Howard is a 50 year old ex pro longboarder. Mikey Feb actually surfs a lot more like Devon on the Mid than he does on other boards ( the twin pin for example )

Mikey is a shortboarder known for his smooth surfing I’d suggest that’s why he looks better on the mid than other CI shortboarders ( like the gudauskases for example whose less smooth style doesnt fit this design as well.)

If you listen to Devon talk about the 2+1 vs the twin ( I forget which podcast this was on ) he said that they are pretty similar, just the fin set up gives a different feel obviously. He mentioned that he prefers the twin if it’s busy and he’s worried about making sections, it’s a bit “faster” but that he still gravitates to the 2+1 in “good” waves as the best combination of performance and hold.

@Aruka i hear you. It’s no coincidence that almost all the CI marketing footage is shot at head high pointbreaks.........
Personally Devon’s surfing is right up my alley, even if I don’t have a handy pointbreak available.

I should also mention that I’m a nearly 50 never quite pro ex- longboarder so...........

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
that sounds right. few guys around here ride m13's as like cheater step ups. those bottom contours aren't really what i would choose for small wave liveliness.
Yep - not a bad board just not for small days.

My buddy borrowed it for some days at blacks and thats where i saw the rocker really shined. He can’t do a proper gutback to save his life but was high lining the sets all the way to the sand.

Reactions: MathDebater

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Looking back over the posts in the first page of this thread to confirm a few things before adding a couple of thoughts.
Bottom curves: If you're looking for a mid length that covers more bottom end then look at the bottom curves and fin choices. What works on your shorter boards to give them speed in smaller waves can also be applied to mid lengths to make them work for the lower end. Aruka has already noted about bottom contours.
Rode a Stewart Hydro hull 7'8" which has a classic egg shape with my favourite flex twin fins in knee to waist high waves yesterday morning and the board was lively and playful even with its length. There's a lot going on in the bottom of that board and it works.
This is despite, "In fact if you listen to anything Devon Howard says about it, he says eggs are for shoulder high plus and you should ride a longboard or a mini - simmons or fish or similar below that." From Jory's post on page 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

caramel_Sea

Michael Peterson status
May 29, 2008
www.flickr.com
Retropete speaks wisdom, lower rocker from center into the fins is the secret to make them work in small surf, can kick the rocker after that

edit: and bonzer fins!

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
This is despite, "In fact if you listen to anything Devon Howard says about it, he says eggs are for shoulder high plus and you should ride a longboard or a mini - simmons or fish or similar below that." From Jory's post on page 1.
The rest of the quote is

“The CI mid itself is a particularly un-grovelley mid length design. The cj nelson 7’0 outlier is much more suited to mush busting for example.”

the trouble is that “mid length” covers anything from 6’8 to 8’11 and a huge variety of design within that.DH was / is coming from the perspective of riding 7’ ish eggs as a 6’2 man - that’s what he was riding when CI started the marketing machine up. He is kinda right though that the smaller eggs relative to your size prefer some face. More specifically, the CI mid which the OP posted about isn’t designed by DH for small waves

I agree that “mid lengths” can totally work in smaller surf if you go longer and either have speed generating bottom or you adopt a more trim oriented approach and design (like cj Nelson’s outlier). I think the CI tri plane mid has a lower bottom end for example.

Like I posted above - I had a super fun few waves on a 6’10 CI mid on stomach high waves and I’ve regularly surfed other mids ( a 6’10 twin I posted on the long fish thread, a 7’2 Christenson c - bucket and a cj outlier) in waist - chest high beach break / wave pool. I’m a small fairly light person though.

I regularly have this discussion with my best mate who is Devon sized. He won’t ride his mids ( which are all 6’10 -7’2) unless it’s punchy shoulder plus . He maintains that my smaller stature means my boards work in smaller waves than his will. I’m always arguing that he just doesn’t own “a small wave” mid design that’s tuned to his size.

All that said, there is also a point where wave face is small enough that a short groveller allows more dynamic speed generation and also where noseriding is more fun..

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
the Adreini Vaquero is a small wave mid, hull to flat tail rocker is far different from the CI Mid

Reactions: jory

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
The rest of the quote is

“The CI mid itself is a particularly un-grovelley mid length design. The cj nelson 7’0 outlier is much more suited to mush busting for example.”
In the interests of clarity I quoted from your post what Devon Howard had to say about it not your thoughts.
So my post about bottom contours and fins was countering only what Devon is supposed to have said.

Reactions: jory

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
In the interests of clarity I quoted from your post what Devon Howard had to say about it not your thoughts.
So my post about bottom contours and fins was countering only what Devon is supposed to have said.
Yeah I realised that!

Here’s a little illustration of your point about different bottom contours etc, some trim based mid lengthing.....

http://instagr.am/p/Cgw71OdIXUp/
Board is 7’6 and really very similar to the vaquero mentioned above....

And some 7’2 twinzer egg action in small waves....

http://instagr.am/p/CkMgKZggmRB/

Last edited:
Reactions: One-Off