Long Fish vs Mid Length

Dec 10, 2011
Have 6'10 Long Phish and 6'10 2+1 Mid Length. Ride Long Phish at points and reefs and 2+1 in beach break. Just returned from Pavones and Bali and the Long Phish went incredible..super fast. If you can get both...ha.

Reactions: trifish and Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
moonstone can carve like a much shorter boar but has that down the line drive. i think it is narrower and has more vee/double out the back. more whippy than longfish and feels kinda like a short boar

Reactions: trifish

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
can u show us the finished boar? also, how well does this boar respond to reward pressure?
I'll take some pictures in a few minutes. Let me get some coffee in me. The board was kind of a journey. I almost never do anything normal/simple because, that's the way I am I suppose. That and I have literally thousands of board files and I'm fairly good with the design software. Can't ever leave good enough alone.

But yeah, COVID board. Everyone on mid lengths. Or worse. Longboards. So WTF. I could have taken an Alpha Omega and just scaled it up to 7'2". That was too easy. So I took a Russ Short file that was a 7'2". I pretty much just pushed the tail width out until I got it where I thought I wanted it. I don't remember what my numbers were. But then after I pushed the tail out, with the stock overall width, I didn't like the outline. Too straight. So I started pushing the overall width out. I got it to 21 3/4 and liked the outline better. In retrospect I should have pushed it to 22. But I had a barrier in my head re that width, so I left it. Then, considering it was going to be a twin fin, I dropped the tail rocker a touch and for added control Malcolm decided to hand shape some deeper concave into the board.

Then I got stupid(er). I ran into these Tyler Warren marine ply fins with an 80/20 foil on them, pulled some numbers out of my head for placement and had them glassed on using my dims. The fins kind of just showed up for me, (it was easy) and they looked sexy. And took the board surfing.

And it was a dog. It felt like driving with the hand brake on. I just could NOT make the board go. The board totally ruined a very rare almost empty minus tide point break session at a favorite point. It still makes me cringe. I got back to the shop and it wasn't a surfboard as far as I was concerned. And it had Malcolm's name on it. I came close to taking a chain saw to it because it was my retarded idea. But after I cooled down and went over the design file, I came to the conclusion that there was nothing I had done to the design file that would have turned a proven file into a dog. It HAD to be the fins. I still came close to destroying it and starting over, but I let it sit. Professional curiosity overcame me and I decided to try and fix it. Had someone grind the glass ons off. Moved the fins up from the tail and further out towards the rail. Futures with the Hobie keels. Single foil fins. And the hand brake came off. The board did what I figured it should do. Fast smooth turns, generated speed easily, caught waves easily, and was just a smooth handling board.

Then Malcom gave me some True Ames twins to try in it. With the twins in it, you could tighten the arc of the turns, push a little tail slide into it when you wanted and it became closer to a HP type shortboard. People kept asking me how long the board was because they were kind of shocked at the turns I could push it through. For an increasingly aging surfer. It's all relative. Then Allan Gibbons gave me a set of twin fins. A little more fin. The feeling now was almost like surfing a step up/gun board in smaller waves with a hint more release when you weighted forward a bit and pushed it in the right spot. For surfers who are old enough to remember meat and potato North Shore "shortboards" in the 7'3" to 7'6" range, you'd get it easily. You could still surf it fairly progressively by say early 80's standards and you still had the paddle power.

So the board is pretty much all good after being seconds from the chainsaw. Once I had it where I wanted it, I pretty much stopped surfing it. Because that's what I do. I get bored with a board and move on. It's great for your surfing. You never ride anything long enough to get it down for more than a session or two and then move on. Brilliant. Oh well. Pictures in a minute.

But the difference in how that board rode with the fins moved/etc. was shocking. Fins are still difficult for me to understand at times. This is where I miss Greg Griffin. RIP old man.

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I appreciate the festive pillows

Is the pit on the erBB?
:roflmao:

Dude, I have a wife. If the dish/internet is paid up, food in the refrigerator and my recliner is in front of the TV, that's all I care about it. I learned a long time ago that you can't fight City Hall. Give her what she wants and move on.

And yes, Bert has his own handle. I'd tell you but then he'd have to kill me.