Tomo MPH

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@montygoesbananas to be honest, the Firewire Revo with the Vee Quad Concave ("VQC") is completely different than any other board I've ever ridden (including the custom Revo I have). The Vee is so strange! It feels amazing on bottom turns - it locks in and shoots you up the face, but you have to quickly keep it on rail when you go up for the top turn or it slides out. Idk... I'm still working it out.

The rocker is great though -- it's worked in smaller waves, about knee high, and about head high surf so far. I don't know if I would say it handles steep drops that well because the nose rocker is low/medium. But I feel its has a better low end than the HS and SKX.

IMG_2521.jpg

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@montygoesbananas to be honest, the Firewire Revo with the Vee Quad Concave ("VQC") is completely different than any other board I've ever ridden (including the custom Revo I have). The Vee is so strange! It feels amazing on bottom turns - it locks in and shoots you up the face, but you have to quickly keep it on rail when you go up for the top turn or it slides out. Idk... I'm still working it out.

The rocker is great though -- it's worked in smaller waves, about knee high, and about head high surf so far. I don't know if I would say it handles steep drops that well because the nose rocker is low/medium. But I feel its has a better low end than the HS and SKX.

View attachment 130733
Interesting. The only tomos I’ve had were the MPH, which as I understand, evolved from his time developing planing hulls and variations of mini sims with RK (Hydrodynamica). I’ve loved the speed n glide of GMM2, evo, Omni, SP2/Cymatic. One thing that makes them feel connected & familiar for me is the consistency of the QISC concave across the different models.

This vee seems like a real departure. Despite the parallel rails outline, wouldn’t a pronounced vee like you guys are describing be the ultimate displacement hull??
Plowing/cutting through water rather than planing on top like the others. Right?
If so, not surprised that Reefer says it rides so differently than other tomos.

FWIW, my R. Blackbird apparently has some v in the belly-tail and it cuts through winter swell lineups like a motorboat and handles chop or whitewater great.

Last edited:

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Interesting on the v quad concave. I had a few sizes of the original Evo and never really connected with it. Had the omni which I did like especially in punchier waves and would still like to try the Cymatic. It will be interesting to see some people surfing this version of the Revo. Tomo rips on all his boards so will be fun to see some others surfing it. Maybe they’ll get some Kevin Schulz clips on this. That’d be fun to watch.

Reactions: JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Interesting. The only tomos I’ve had were the MPH, which as I understand, evolved from his time developing planing hulls and variations of mini sims with RK (Hydrodynamica). I’ve loved the speed n glide of GMM2, evo, Omni, SP2/Cymatic. One thing that makes them feel connected & familiar for me is the consistency of the QISC concave across the different models.

This vee seems like a real departure. Despite the parallel rails outline, wouldn’t a pronounced vee like you guys are describing be the ultimate displacement hull??
Plowing/cutting through water rather than planing on top like the others. Right?
If so, not surprised that Reefer says it rides so differently than other tomos.

FWIW, my R. Blackbird apparently has some v in the belly-tail and it cuts through winter swell lineups like a motorboat and handles chop or whitewater great.
Good question, and I asked Dan the same thing. I asked him if the new Revo would still be considered a Modern Planing Hull (because of the short rectangular outline) or would it be more of a Modern Displacement Hull because of the Vee bottom. He said, and I quote, "Definitely a planing hull but it has a higher drag to lift ratio".

I got some recent footage on the board and you can see that on smaller waves at low speed its sort of plowing or cutting through the wave, but the amount of water that is being displaced off the side it very minimal; and you can see from the wake of the board in the wave that there is lift going on. In my opinion, the Vee cutting through the water, coupled with the channels and the parallel outline giving lift, is almost like a perfect marriage of two designs. You are getting a lot of control and very easy direction change, but also speed, respectively.

Its a super interesting design, but definitely completely different than any of his other models. The only boards comparable is the Vader and the Cymatic, only because the pivot and how easily they turn.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Good question, and I asked Dan the same thing. I asked him if the new Revo would still be considered a Modern Planing Hull (because of the short rectangular outline) or would it be more of a Modern Displacement Hull because of the Vee bottom. He said, and I quote, "Definitely a planing hull but it has a higher drag to lift ratio".

I got some recent footage on the board and you can see that on smaller waves at low speed its sort of plowing or cutting through the wave, but the amount of water that is being displaced off the side it very minimal; and you can see from the wake of the board in the wave that there is lift going on. In my opinion, the Vee cutting through the water, coupled with the channels and the parallel outline giving lift, is almost like a perfect marriage of two designs. You are getting a lot of control and very easy direction change, but also speed, respectively.

Its a super interesting design, but definitely completely different than any of his other models. The only boards comparable is the Vader and the Cymatic, only because the pivot and how easily they turn.
Ok. Any initial impression whether it cuts through chop or handles whitewater better than the MPHs (with a lower “drag to lift ratio” LOL)?
That quote made me chuckle.
I’m not convinced but curious. I’m suspicious that it seems over-engineered: like opposing design theories fighting each other just to get back to a simpler baseline.

would like to give one a try tho.

let us know if you do any back to back comparison sessions with the custom revo vs. FW one.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
How does this bottom differ from a double barrel bottom?

Related - https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/bottom-line/89272
This is from the RUSTY article (below)
Pointbreak board: double barrel (domed) vee.

Off to the tropics? Shallow, clean, double concaves are usually a good solution. Still get the lift and the bite from the concaves but with some directional enhancement from the spine of the vee. High-speed rail-to-rail transitions are made easier because of the lateral break in the bottom.

MY OPINION:
@sdsrfr. I've never ridden a Vee and this is good confirmation about what I was feeling.
The obvious difference that I can see from the Double Barrel Vee above and Tomo's Vee Quad Concave is the additional concaves running through the center. I think its the same concept of getting quick directional changes, but with the additional concaves on outter part of the board you get more grip and speed once its tipped over on the Vee and you engage the rail.

The bottom turns on the Revo are pretty insane! The first time I rode it, it shot me straight up the face like a rocket. I couldnt even bring it back for a turn. It just shot me straight out the back. I was blown away! ...And all i could do was grin and say to myself "this is the sh!t!" :LOL: :jamon:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
IMG_3862.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1654200006981.png

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

View attachment 130733
I think it's cool you let your boards ride a fake pony in the country.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Last good boards designed by Tomo were the Hydronaut and Hydroshort. Since then it's just been rehashing and marketing.

• Love
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Last good boards designed by Tomo were the Hydronaut and Hydroshort. Since then it's just been rehashing and marketing.
"Matt Biolos to the red dis-courtesy phone..."
"Sorry Matt, wrong number...it's for Tomo again."
"No it's not about copying one of his designs."
"It's about re-hashing or something."
"No, yeah we know but it's not for you. It's for Tomo."
"Ok, you can hang up now Matt."
"Is he gone yet?...Fuck that was close."

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
More information came out on the Revo (for those that are interested).

1654625648852.png
1654625660901.png

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I felt one up in the store, that spine down the middle is really really pronounced. I’ve never seen anything like it. Definitely a full update. That’s not a small tweak to the XTR Revo I have

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I felt one up in the store, that spine down the middle is really really pronounced. I’ve never seen anything like it. Definitely a full update. That’s not a small tweak to the XTR Revo I have
I agree. Its a completely different board imo.