Summer Surf Trips

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Ticket prices are :foreheadslap:
Yep - trying to schedule a quick trip back to SoCal to get the booster shot .... f*ck .... prices out of Managua are ridiculous. Thinking Costa Rica - Liberia is a slightly better option ... trying to figure out the Covid test part .... have not tried the home test method yet.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yep - trying to schedule a quick trip back to SoCal to get the booster shot .... f*ck .... prices out of Managua are ridiculous. Thinking Costa Rica - Liberia is a slightly better option ... trying to figure out the Covid test part .... have not tried the home test method yet.
Have to down load an app and get proctored by someone on Video.

Reactions: flyinraptr

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
A lot of guys still drive down from Texas to your neck of the woods.
The vast majority fly and rent transportation.

Anymore most people that drive are planning a longer trip and camping here or bunking up palapa style in Nexpa. The most common license tags are Oregon, Colorado, and California.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i see a lot of expensive tickets. But, i went over to delta.com. AeroMexico is a code-share partner airline. I'm now flying first class to Huatulco with only one stop in Mexico city, for $900 R/T. I looked at the same itinerary on my usual American Airlines, and just flying COACH it would require TWO stops, AND it would have cost me $1400. in coach.

Easiest call I've made all day. Even signed up for a SkyMIles account, because i've noticed that anytime American Air doesn't QUITE have the best price or itinerary, Delta usually does, and vice versa. So now I'm a split loyalty frequent flier

Reactions: Truth and mundus

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
i see a lot of expensive tickets. But, i went over to delta.com. AeroMexico is a code-share partner airline. I'm now flying first class to Huatulco with only one stop in Mexico city, for $900 R/T. I looked at the same itinerary on my usual American Airlines, and just flying COACH it would require TWO stops, AND it would have cost me $1400. in coach.

Easiest call I've made all day. Even signed up for a SkyMIles account, because i've noticed that anytime American Air doesn't QUITE have the best price or itinerary, Delta usually does, and vice versa. So now I'm a split loyalty frequent flier
Might as well move to Florida now and get it over with.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

The Mexico City airport was briefly closed the other day when two planes were vectored to land on the same runway at the same time.

Not saying...

• Haha
Reactions: SeaFoamGreen

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
damn we booked el sal just in time. got em in March for 450 for premium economy, extra luggage and surfboards all in per person, although they did change our flights on us. originally we had an 11pm redeye and they changed it to 2:30 am. same difference prety much.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
You didn’t stop by.

It’s been the weakest spring season in memory condition wise with daily onshores starting at 9ish with little to no offshore at night.

I recommend Oaxaca before it’s subwayed.
Just finished up my 2nd trip this year and feels SO good to be traveling again after at least a 3 or 4 year hiatus! Its honestly been eye opening to get back on the surf travel game. Travel is pretty essential around here to stay tuned, get out of the stupid rubber, and surf some real waves. I bought my house 10 minutes from the airport for a reason!!! After an OK to decent fall and mid-winter locally, surf kind of went to sh!t in March and cold and wet winter weather has prevailed so last few trips have been ever so timely.

Spent a week on Kauai 1st week of March visiting some old friends right around one of the better swells of the season. Came back vibing feeling better than I have in some time both physically and mentally. Just finished up a trip to ElOgro's zone and sadly did not look him up as I should have. Honestly, we were only in your zone for a few days and had a couple small but fun ones as we headed up to the Rio for the main swell event. Winds were up early for sure, but there were a few exceptions. One was a cancer (mid day) session at your local with just 4-5 other heads. Perhaps you were out there that day? One guy seemed to have it wired. Regardless we set the clocks early and were up predawn and in the water around 1st light most days and were easily surfed out. Sand didn’t seem quite right up there, and swell had quite a bit of west in it. Was shifty and sectiony. Definitely have caught it better, but can’t complain compared to the shitt I surf on the regular. All and all it was good to be back and get out of the USofA. Got kinda hammered by bug bites and still itching a bit. Don't remember it being that bad, but maybe I forgot. They seem to love my blood.

Took the Covid test at the airport before departure with no worries. Was 800 pesos I think. Also had my vax cards, but never had to show them once on entry and exit.

Next trip, SD for work conference in July and hope to dip down into Baja for 3 or 4 days. Otherwise thinking of something with right points in early to late fall perhaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth and Subway

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Just finished up my 2nd trip this year and feels SO good to be traveling again after at least a 3 or 4 year hiatus! Its honestly been eye opening to get back on the surf travel game. Travel is pretty essential around here to stay tuned, get out of the stupid rubber, and surf some real waves. I bought my house 10 minutes from the airport for a reason!!! After an OK to decent fall and mid-winter locally, surf kind of went to sh!t in March and cold and wet winter weather has prevailed so last few trips have been ever so timely.

Spent a week on Kauai 1st week of March visiting some old friends right around one of the better swells of the season. Came back vibing feeling better than I have in some time both physically and mentally. Just finished up a trip to ElOgro's zone and sadly did not look him up as I should have. Honestly, we were only in your zone for a few days and had a couple small but fun ones as we headed up to the Rio for the main swell event. Winds were up early for sure, but there were a few exceptions. One was a cancer (mid day) session at your local with just 4-5 other heads. Perhaps you were out there that day? One guy seemed to have it wired. Regardless we set the clocks early and were up predawn and in the water around 1st light most days and were easily surfed out. Sand didn’t seem quite right up there, and swell had quite a bit of west in it. Was shifty and sectiony. Definitely have caught it better, but can’t complain compared to the shitt I surf on the regular. All and all it was good to be back and out of the States.

Next trip, SD for work conference in July and hope to dip down into Baja for 3 or 54 days. Otherwise thinking of something with right points in early to late fall perhaps.
Glad you had fun. And that you didn’t die.

3 or 54 days is my kind of Baja trip!

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Ummmm .... that would be negatory there Sub. The Costa Rica - Liberia route is looking better as Costa Rica recently dropped all Covid requirements and offer testing at the airport.
That said, the clinic was very well run and it wasn’t a major hassle in the grand scheme of things. but then again so many more people are flying versus SDLY so maybe that clinic is a total mob scene now

Reactions: flyinraptr